After making what he believes to be the perfect Krabby Patty, SpongeBob falls in love with it, refusing to let anyone eat it.
"To Love A Patty" contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: In the developers' audio commentary it is off-handedly stated that the clams SpongeBob is fighting during the Falling-in-Love Montage are actually "stunt scallops". Although there's nothing in the episode that would indicate that.
- An Aesop: Don't get obsessed with materialistic objects. It's not healthy.
- Companion Cube: The Krabby Patty to SpongeBob, though it's a romantic variant.
- Falling-in-Love Montage: SpongeBob has a musical one as he dates the patty everywhere he goes.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: The patty when it's rotten.
- Idiot Ball: SpongeBob takes the patty on a dinner date to the Krusty Krab and has the nerve/stupidity to ask Squidward what's on the menu. Squidward angrily reminds him he's the chef of the place.
- Reality Ensues: After some time passed without anyone eating it, the patty became spoiled and rotten.
- Why Don't You Marry It?: Squidward tells SpongeBob this about the krabby patty, and SpongeBob takes it to heart:Squidward: What are you going to do with it, take it home? Put a little dress on her? Go out for a romantic walk with it?
SpongeBob: Great idea!
Squidward gets electrocuted by an electric fence, with the shocks to his brain affecting his personality, making him nice and cheerful. While this pleases SpongeBob at first, he realizes this new Squidward is starting to take over his life.
"Breath of Fresh Squidward" contains examples of:
- An Aesop: Be happy for your friends.
- Body Screen Fill Up / Walk Through The Camera: SpongeBob walking with new Squidward attached to him.SpongeBob: Boy, the new Squidward sure is chummy.
- Here We Go Again!: In the ending, Squidward is back to his old personality after being electrocuted again, but SpongeBob and Patrick get themselves electrocuted and become grumpy like Squidward.
- Minor Insult Meltdown: Squidward tearfully leaves Patrick's house after SpongeBob yells at him, which led to him being electrocuted again, turning back to his old grumpy self.
- Rage Breaking Point: Squidward pogo bouncing with Patrick is what causes SpongeBob to finally snap and shun Squidward, forcing him out.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: After all the annoying things Squidward has done to him, what really sends SpongeBob over the edge is seeing him dancing with his best friend.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After he sees Squidward dancing with Patrick, SpongeBob gives out one to the former:SpongeBob: Maybe you can take my job, and maybe you can take my place on the Employee of the Month Wall of Fame! But nobody and I mean nobody, pogo-dances with that guy but me! Now do yourself a big fat favor and get out, bub!
- Status Quo Is God: Squidward returns back to his grumpy self after being electrocuted, although SpongeBob and Patrick act like Squidward after getting electrocuted themselves.
- A Taste of Defeat: This happens to SpongeBob after Squidward is made Employee of the Month.
- A Taste Of His Own Medicine:
- SpongeBob learns what it's like to have a friend who's way too clingy and obsessed with you.
- Squidward learns what it's like living next to grumpy, easily irritable neighbor.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: Spongebob is at first happy about Squidward's personality change, but quickly begins to miss the old sour Squidward.