3LW was an R&B Girl Group that consisted of Kiely Williams, Adrienne Bailon, and Naturi Naughton (later replaced by Jessica Benson). After their formation in 1999, they debuted with their first single "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)" in 2000 to moderate success, followed up by "Playas Gon' Play" in 2001, which was their Breakthrough Hit.
However, 3LW's popularity dropped in late 2002 after Naturi parted from the group, citing that their management had planned to force her out, culminating in Kiely infamously throwing an entire plate of hot food at her after an argument. Adrienne and Kiely continued as a duo, but after the colossal failures of their next two albums and "Neva Get Enuf", Jessica Benson was recruited in 2003 as Naturi's replacement to save them from disbandment. In the same year, Adrienne and Kiely set aside 3LW after becoming cast members of Disney Channel's The Cheetah Girls, regaining a family-friendly wholesome image again, which effectively caused most of their urban fan base to lose interest in them.
After several years, 3LW attempted a comeback in 2006 with their single "Feelin' You" under a new record company, but they never regained the success they had in their first years. Meanwhile, The Cheetah Girls became so popular that Adrienne and Kiely decided to focus on it full-time, and the group disbanded in 2007.
- 3LW (2000)
- A Girl Can Mack (2002)
- Naughty or Nice (2002)
- Point of No Return (unreleased)
3LW provides examples of:
- Autotune: Kiely's voice was autotuned in "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)."
- Break Up Song: "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)" has lyrics that describes a girl being fed up with how her boyfriend ignores her to look "tough" in front of his friends.
- But Not Too Black: Naturi cited that the management wanted to remove her from the group because she looked "too black" and "not ethnically ambiguous" enough.
- Continuity Nod: "I Do (Wanna Get Close to You)" has Adrienne's ad-lib "Say it again, s-say it, say it again", which first appeared in "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)."
- Embarrassing Nickname: After Naturi was forced to leave 3LW, the press jokingly referred to the group as "2LW" for a while.
- Fun with Acronyms: "3LW" stands for "three little women."
- In Da Club: The music video for "I Do (Wanna Get Close To You)" takes place in a wild party on a yacht, and the opening lyrics explicitly state that it takes place in a club: "Rode in the club like what / I got the VIP on lockdown." The lyrics for "Put 'Em Up" also indicate that the song takes place in a club as well.
- Incredibly Long Note: Adrienne sings a high, long note after the bridge in "Playas Gon' Play."
- Intercourse with You:
- "I Do (Wanna Get Close to You)" is about meeting a someone at a club and getting intimate.
- "Feelin' You" has the lyrics "It's the way you touch me that's so incredible." Jermaine Dupri, however, is much more explicit about what's happening, as he raps "I get erections" when the girls sing, "I get a rush."
- Hotter and Sexier: After their Self-Titled Album, 3LW, their second album, A Girl Can Mack, had a much more mature image and sound for the group. The lead single of the album, "I Do (Wanna Get Close to You)", features the girls in leather and touching themselves suggestively.
- Oral Fixation: Adrienne is seen with a red lollipop in most of her solo scenes in the music video for "Feelin' You."
- Power Trio: The girls were marketed as an empowering trio, and it's even shown in their name. Unfortunately, this led to ridicule from the press after Naturi left the group, forcing Adrienne and Kiely to recruit Jessica.
- Sexy Santa Dress: Adrienne wears a very revealing Santa outfit on the album cover of Naughty or Nice.
- "No More (Baby I'ma Do Right)" namedrops the fashion brand Kate Spade, The Notorious B.I.G., & Erykah Badu's hit song "Tyrone".
- In "Neva Get Enuf", during Lil Wayne's verse where he's introducing the members, for Adrienne, he says, "I'm like Rocky, where's my Adrienne?"
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: From "Neva Get Enuf": "He's gotta be the one I'm daydreaming to spend my time with / He's gotta be the one with no chicks attached / And that's my man."
- Teen Idol: The girls, who all debuted as teenagers, had a family-friendly image during their first years and even contributed to the first The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron movie's soundtrack, but by the time "Playas Gon' Play" was released, they shifted to the adult urban market.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: "Feelin' You" doesn't have a dance routine so much of it is of Kiely just writhing around on the ground next to an actor.
- Undying Loyalty: "Playas Gon' Play" is about a couple being loyal to each other despite gossip and people tearing them apart.
- Vocal Tag Team: Kiely usually sings the first verse, while Adrienne sings the second verse.
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: The music video for "Playas Gon' Play" takes place at a pool and features tons of shots of attractive people walking around in swimsuits.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: "I Do (Wanna Get Close to You)" features Loon, "I Need That (I Want That)" features Lil' Kim, "Neva Get Enuf" features Lil Wayne, and "Feelin' You" features Jermaine Dupri.