Michael Hadreas (born September 25, 1981), aka Perfume Genius, is an American Baroque Pop artist. Having to live through things like abuse and addiction, Mike created some songs as therapy. He originally felt that he was a bad singer, but decided that he had something to say, and it didnt matter how his voice sounded. Mike came up with Perfume Genius because of a friends comment about a bad movie they were watching: "This guy thinks he is some kind of fucking Perfume Genius. Look at this fucking Perfume Genius, what is he going to do next." He eventually released Learning, where the songs are in chronological order (that is, the first song was created first, and so on ) While Mike has gotten critical success, hes still obscure.
His second album, Put Your Back N 2 It was released on February 20, 2012, his third, Too Bright, on September 23, 2014, and his fourth, No Shape, on May 5, 2017.
Tropes relating to Perfume Genius:
- Bishōnen He even appears topless in
a lotmost of his promo photos for some reason.
- Broken Bird
- Collector of the Strange Mike collects needle points.
- Driven to Suicide The titular character in "Mr. Peterson" jumps off a building.
- I Am the Band Perfume Genius is Mike Hadreas.
- Kids Are Cruel"I can boil [high school] down to smoking a pack of Newports 200 yards away from campus, dodging spit and death threats from many white people wearing backwards hats."
- Murder Ballad: "Lookout, Lookout" is about murderess Mary Bell.
- New Sound Album: Too Bright is slightly more upbeat than his other works and features more of a noisy studio-based sound.
- Precocious Crush "Mr. Peterson" is about Mike falling in love with the titular teacher, who let him smoke marijuana and made him a Joy Division tape.
- Self-Deprecation Mike claims that his speaking voice sounds like an "elf tranny" when its recorded.