You drag me down, you fuck me up
We're on the ground, we're screaming
I don't know how to make it stop
I love it, I hate it, and I can't take it
But I keep on coming back to you
Bleta "Bebe" Rexha (born August 30, 1989) is an American-Albanian pop singer born in Brooklyn, NYC. She gained minor recognition for writing Eminem's #1 hit "The Monster" (featuring Rihanna) and would later score a hit in 2014 as a credited vocalist on Cash Cash's EDM single "Take Me Home". However, since the song only peaked at #57, it wasn't seen as her real breakthrough. A year later, she scored a debut Top 40 hit as the chorus-singer on David Guetta's #6 hit "Hey Mama" (which featured rap superstar Nicki Minaj and EDM producer Afrojack). Later on, she would score another hit with a G-Eazy duet titled "Me, Myself & I", which was a success, peaking at #7 and being seen as her first collaboration with equal credit.
In 2017 and 2018, Rexha had a massive country-pop crossover with "Meant to Be", which features duet vocals from Florida Georgia Line. The song made Rexha the first female ever to debut a single at #1 on the country music charts.
- I Don't Wanna Grow Up (EP) (2015)
- All Your Fault: Pt. 1 (EP) (2017)
- All Your Fault: Pt. 2 (EP) (2017)
- Expectations (2018)
- Better Mistakes (2021)
Bebe Rexha provides examples of the following tropes:
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: Nicki Minaj in "No Broken Hearts".
- Big Beautiful Woman: Since 2019, she put on some weight and has this theme for her fashion.
- The Cameo: G-Eazy in the "No Broken Hearts" video.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Her first project was an Electro-Swing band called Black Cards with Pete Wentz.
- It's All About Me: Her chorus in "Me, Myself & I", which is also a part of her song "I Don't Need Anything".
- Insistent Terminology: She likes to call herself a "rock star" despite usually being thought of as a pop singer. It's even in her Instagram bio.
- Ode to Intoxication: "Can't Stop Drinking About You" is an optimization of this trope. It's about drowning her sorrows in order to forget that her partner is chosing his ex instead of Bebe herself.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "I'm Gonna Show You Crazy".
- Stepford Smiler: “Girl in the mirror”. “I’m sick of the lies. Smiling but I’m crying inside.”