Based off of the real experiences of mangaka Nagata Kabi, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness provides candid insights of one woman's struggle with mental health, identity, and sexuality. Praised for recentering the Yuri Genre, this manga was originally published on Pixiv and has since gotten an official English release.
Its sequel of sorts, My Solo Exchange Diary, was released in English on June 5, 2018.
This manga provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Subverted. During Nagata's research, she discovers that the ways her psychological problems manifest and her reactions to them are widely shared by abuse victims. Also, while Yuka is exploring Nagata's body, she discovers that Nagata's hymen is gone, which would seem to be unusual for a virgin in her late 20s who doesn't participate in any kind of activity that might cause it to break. However, aside from her parents being focused on Nagata becoming the typical "salaried employee" model of Japanese citizen and not understanding her drives and motivations, no obvious abuse of any kind appears to have occurred.
- Action Bar: One of the many diagrams representing Nagata's thought processes looks like a simple RPG UI.
- Author Avatar: In an intentionally cute chibi-style.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Much of Nagata's personal turmoil is between wanting to make her parents proud versus allowing herself to be proud.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Of the limited palette variety, with pink as the only hue.
- The Ditherer: Shown thoroughly throughout.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Nagata's eyes lose their highlights at a few particularly bad moments.
- First Kiss: Nagatas is with the first escort, and is one of many firsts that night.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold:
- Yuka in particular is very friendly and accommodating to Nagata, as is the agency.
- The second escort that she requests, as described in the bonus chapter. Nagata describes her as being "funny and nice", and she seems just as accommodating of Nagata as Yuka was.
- How We Got Here: The beginning of the manga shows Nagata about to have sex with Yuka. The rest focuses on how her life choices and attitude led her to that decision before picking up where she left off.
- Less Embarrassing Term: In early pages, Nagata couldn't bear to mention sex by name. Early readers' comments on this were so prevalent that she not only replaced the euphemism but mentioned her terminology switch in the manga itself. The English translation approximates this euphemism to "thesex".
- Love Hotel: A somewhat dingy one, at that.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Nagata achieving her dream of becoming a published mangaka is depicted off panel.
- Professional Sex Ed: Erotic doujinshi were Nagata's only prior knowledge of all things intimate, and with the additional monkey wrench of them only being yaoi works, which means the sex was idealized and unrealistic, and didn't teach her anything about women's bodies.
- Reality Ensues:
- Having sex with a woman is impactful, but it doesn't cure her depression, of course. Her experience as a cashier counts as well, idolizing jobs as a "home" of sorts, before being fired and fully realizing how she's expected to pull her weight, no matter what.
- There's also the sex itself, which massively differed from what she was expecting. In reality, her mental state at the time made her dissociate, leaving her disappointed by her own response and upset at being "rude" to the escort. She hadn't realised that in reality, even casual sex often requires high levels of communication and vulnerability.
- Self-Harm: Nagata cuts herself to relieve the emotional pain she's dealing with, and has a bald spot due to nervous hair pulling.
- Unexpected Virgin: Though that's the least of her problems.
- "Well Done, Daughter!" Gal: Part of what Nagata struggles with is the aspect of her mind that wants to please her parents and meet their expectations for her life.
- Wham Line: "I thought you were on a break this whole time."
- Yaoi: Nagata is shown to read Boys' Love comics in some panels. She used it as a sort of basis for what she thought was supposed to happen during sex.