Sometimes, in order to make a Sealed Evil in a Can, Anthropomorphic Personification of darkness, God of Evil, something Made of Evil, or other dark or evil power feel more evil, it emanates darkness. Sometimes, a sound comes with this darkness, that is very clearly made by the darkness itself. Compare Hell Is That Noise, except often characters do not react to or even notice the sound. Also, even good characters can occasionally make such a noise, as Dark Is Not Evil. Often overlaps with Casting a Shadow, where darkness has a physical presence rather than a sound.
Anime and Manga
- Celty from Durarara!! has a plethora of sound effects to accompany her darkness constructs and even the darkness coming out of her neck.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Pride's shadow tendrils often make a noise as they slither along the ground, although in-universe it is an aversion, as no one hears them sneaking up.
- The Fell in Warcraft, an evil, life-draining magic, makes an eerie noise when it is cast and when life is drained out of someone.
- in Supernatural, Demons make a horrific noise as they exit or enter human bodies in their intangible form.
- In "Assignment Two" of Sapphire and Steel, the Darkness is always accompanied by the whisperings of the human souls bound to it.
- In Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, the Dark Star makes a distinctive pulsing noise as it flies, and sometimes emits a pulse of darkness accompanied by a sound.
- Wizzro's attacks from Hyrule Warriors make a sound when he spews balls of darkness.
- In Radiant Historia, the power of the Black Chronicle makes a sound like a heartbeat when it goes through time, creates a shadow mook, or disintegrates someone.
- Phantoms in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass make an eerie noise as they spawn, and are beings of darkness.
- The Zam line of spells, dark attacks, in Dragon Quest IX each make a distinctive sound as they deal damage.
- Several dark-themed projectiles in Kid Icarus: Uprising make noises when they collide with an enemy (Or with Pit).
- The Legend of Spyro, Cynder's Shadow Elements are usually associated with a hissing gas-like sound when in action. Appropriate, as her Shadow Breath is described as "suffocating".
- The Legend of Dragoon, Darkness spells tend to make sinister noises: the first spell has an ominous droning sound as the dark particles rush the target, the Dark Rain has a sinister droning chorus as it goes on.