Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is a 1972 children's book written by Judith Viorst and illustrated by Ray Cruz.
Alexander is having a terrible day. It starts when he wakes up with gum in his hair, and it just gets worse. The whole day, nothing seems to go right for Alexander.
This book provides examples of:
- Big Brother Bully: Alexander's older brothers, Anthony and Nick.
- Butt-Monkey: Things go wrong for Alexander all day.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Not My Lucky Day: Alexander suffers this.
- Running Gag: Alexander wants to move to Australia, believing he won't have a bad day there.
- Title Drop: Several times throughout the book, Alexander says that he is having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.