Frustrated Insurance Salesman Clarence Hilliard, a simple man with a vision: That every man is a God, capable of Immortality. Starting as something of a crazy guy screaming on the street, he slowly amasses followers, becoming a sort of Rock Star, then a Corrupt Politician (The latter with the help of a shadowy political operator who may or may not be Satan), becoming increasingly unhinged in the process. And he seemed so normal, y'know?
A strange, shambling, murky (Both literally and figuratively) Satire, the film has nevertheless attracted a small Cult Following, including Martin Scorsese and Eddie Muller, the latter calling it "The Room of the 60's." Also noteworthy for a score by a pre-Mothers of Invention Frank Zappa, who described it as "The world's worst movie."
This film provides examples of:
- A God Am I: Hilliard's entire platform is that man is the only true Divinity, to the point of renaming himself "God Hilliard."
- Blasphemous Boast: Just about everything that comes from Hilliard's mouth.
- Cult: What the Eternal Man's Party ultimately is.
- Dreadful Musician: Hilliard is no Chuck Berry.
- Gainax Ending: At a low point, Hilliard steals hosts from a local church and pricks them with a pin to see if they'll bleed. At first nothing happens, convincing Hilliard that there is no God. Then the hosts generate some sort of slime trail for Hilliard to follow back, and then radiate white light as the film smashes to black.
- Hollywood Atheist: Hilliard and all of his followers.
- Immortality: The ultimate goal of the Eternal Man's Party. Whether this is going to be accomplished via Technological means or Clap Your Hands If You Believe is never properly established.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Even played with In-Universe, when Hilliard starts to question his own philosophy.
- Rockumentary: Borders on this at times, as Hilliard builds his following via Rock n' Roll.
- Straw Nihilist: Hilliard, in the end.
- The Walrus Was Paul: The ending.
- Your Cheating Heart: Hilliard cheats on his wife, once his movement takes off. He doesn't discriminate based on age, either, sleeping with both a 14-year-old girl and an elderly woman.