A 1986 British-American adventure comedy directed by Jim Goddard that has a missionary (Madonna) hiring a fortune hunter (Sean Penn) to help her find opium for the wounded and adventure and romance ensues.
It was released on August 29, 1986.
Tropes for the film:
- Boom in the Hand: Title refers to a type of bomb disguised as a pouched belt, which the villain loses his hands at the start of the film.
- Contortionist: Glendon Wasey visits a famous courtesan who lists contortion under one of her many skills.
- Going Commando: Gloria Tatlock, as when she and Glendon are riding on separate rickshaws and next to each other and as she reaches towards him, a gust of wind blows her blue skirt back and she's spread eagle, wearing nothing underneath.
- Period Piece: Takes place in 1938 Shanghai.
- Thoroughly Mistaken Identity: Glendon goes to a fancy restaurant and is mistaken by all and sundry for another character named Phil- who is never mentioned before or after this scene, no is Glendon's resemblance. Nonetheless, the fact that Glendon looks like and is mistaken for Phil is a vital plot point without which the movie makes no sense (it's the reason Glendon was picked for the mission, it's how he gets an entree with a lady named China Doll, etc.).