Raptor Ranch is a dinosaur horror-comedy film released in 2013. The film features Lorenzo Lamas who appeared in another raptor-oriented film entitled Raptor Island
The plot of the film focuses on a small Texan town that becomes overrun with bloodthirsty raptors and giant carnosaurs.
The film was later retitled The Dinosaur Experiment.
The film includes the following tropes:
- Advertised Extra: Lorenzo Lamas gets the top billing alongside Jana Mashonee, but his character barely does anything except investigate the killings and talk to cops.
- Asshole Victim: Abbi's boss whose asshole status was noted earlier gets messily devoured by a T-rex.
- Dance Party Ending: Yes really. Jana Mashonee (one of the actresses in the film who is also a singer) sings a number while a raptor watches on.
- Death by Sex: A girl that Lucas is having sex with gets her her head bitten off by a raptor.
- Developing Doomed Characters: During the film's 88 minute runtime, it spends close to forty minutes developing characters that are destined to become dino chow.
- Eaten Alive
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Not for the humans in the film.
- Evil Matriarch: Beth, the Megalosaurus serves as the primary Big Bad of the film.
- Final Girl: Abbi unless she wasn't able to escape the raptor that crashes her Dance Party Ending.
- Giving Them the Strip / Losing a Shoe in the Struggle: Kolin nearly gets dragged out and eaten by Beth. When Abbi pulls Kolin to safety, she's minus one of her boots.
- After Abbi gets cornered by a Dinosaur, the dinosaur grabs her by her jacket, thus she slides out her jacket, as the dinosaur tears it in the process.
- Ghost Town: Aside from the human fodder that makes up the cast, the town is pretty much vacant when the dinosaurs overrun it.
- Giant Foot of Stomping: A couple of characters meet their end this way.
- Ms. Fanservice: We're introduced to Abbi in her undies. Later, her misogynistic boss makes her wear a typical "Valley Girl" outfit consisting of a tied off blouse, daisy dukes, and red pumps. She's not amused.
- Abbi also spends the last half of the movie in an cleavage baring tank top after losing her jacket.
- No Name Given: Kolin, the goth-dressing drummer in Willie's band, is never referred to by name in the film.
- Off with His Head!: One of the characters has her head bitten off by a raptor.
- Perky Goth: Kolin the drummer appears to be this with some Cloud Cuckoolander thrown in for good measure.
- Raptor Attack: Of course, raptors are featured in the film. Surprisingly however, they have very little screentime. It's the much larger meat-eating dinosaurs that the movie tends to focus on.
- One of the taglines for the film is Jurassic Dark.
- A character is eaten by a dinosaur in a bathroom stall.
- Spiritual Successor: To the Carnosaur series.
- Stock Footage: While not rampant, there are a few instances where the film repeats CG dinosaur shots.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: A dinosaur variation is found by one of the characters, though it's not responsible for the dinosaurs.
- Too Dumb to Live: Except for Abbi, pretty much the entire human cast. Even the dinosaurs themselves. . . .
- Whatever Happened to the Mouse?: There is a barn in the farm labeled 'acrocanthosaurus', which Beast even tries(and fails) to pronounce. No acrocanthosauruses appear in the film.