Costa! is a Dutch movie from 2001, starring a lot of famous Dutch actors.
Janet tags along with her sister Angela when she goes on holiday to Salou in Spain. There she meets Rens, who works as a promoter for the nightclub Costa. When fellow promoter Frida gets injured when dancing at the club, Rens asks Janet to take her place at the MTV Dancing Awards.
Janet agrees and they start spending more time together. Though they are quite different, with Janet knowing most of her dance moves by dancing to Eurovision Song Festival music, they grow closer. The other promoters are afraid they will look bad with Janet being part of the contest. When Rens and Frida end up in bed, their club's owner says it's against the rules, which results in Rens storming off and joining rival club Empire.
Costa provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Tommy seems to be this for Maureen, for most of the movie.
- Attempted Rape: Happens to Maureen. Rens saves her, but gets beat up in the process
- Badass Driver: Rens. Janet, not so much.
- The Beautiful Elite: The actors and actresses are good looking, but it's also made clear that they are far from being elite when back home in the Netherlands.
- Berserk Button: Tommy does not like it when one of his colleagues leaves for the Empire. This results in destruction of property.
- Bilingual Bonus: The promoters speak English with Ian, who is Danish. Frida speaks Spanish to the police as well.
- Butt-Monkey: Bart gets a bit of this. Janet is this to her sister's friends.
- Coordinated Clothes: The staff of the Empire all wear black.
- Deadpan Snarker: "Well, there is a vacant bed now," says Rens, after his friends throw Ted's things out of the window.
- Do Wrong, Right: Frida does not mind that Tommy throws all of Ted's CD's out of the window. She does mind that he was almost throwing out one of her CD's out as well.
- Easily Forgiven: Considering his reaction to one of his colleagues leaving Costa for the Empire, Tommy forgives Rens rather quickly for doing the same.
- Funny Background Event: When Ted's stuff gets thrown out, part of it ends up on an innocent guy downstairs.
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Subverted. Angela is more of a popular girl and Janet is the artistic, strange one. Janet annoys Angela a lot, though she also feels sorry for her. However, there is no competition between them and they end up getting along better at the end of the movie.
- Hidden Depths: Though Rens seems happy with his life as a popular promoter, he reveals to Janet that he hates his life in the winter, when he does menial jobs in the Netherlands and feels looked down upon. He also knows a lot more about Eurovision than one might suspect.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: Rens likes to act like the cool guy, but falls for Janet, who is considered strange by most. He also taken on a bunch of would-be rapists and saves Maureen from them.
- I'm Standing Right Here: Janet did actually notice the fake gagging Rens did behind her back.
- Interclass Romance: Played with. Janet might have a brighter future than Rens careerwise, but in Salou he is quite the popular man, while most see Janet as a loser.
- Mr. Fanservice: The male cast often show off their abs. Since it's partly set at the beach, this does not feel out of place.
- Ms. Fanservice: The girls tend to wear bikinis at the beach. Angela and Frida also go for a topless swim at the end.