The Life and Times is a Maurader-era fanfiction written by Jewels5 focusing on the developing relationship of a teenage Lily Evans and James Potter. It begins in their sixth year at Hogwarts and is expected to end at the end of their seventh year. There are currently 36 chapters, and there are expected to be approximately 50 chapters total. The main plotline follows the James/Lily romance, but multiple subplots are woven in. Of nearly 30,000 James/Lily stories on Fanfiction.net, The Life and Times has the most "favorites" by site users.
The Life And Times Contains Examples of:
- Action Prologue/In Medias Res: The beginning of the fic has still not been caught up with in the main plotline.
- Affectionate Nickname: Snaps. James' nickname for Lily
- Almost Kiss: Drunk James and Lily after Petunia's wedding
- Arc Words: "Don't chase the Quaffle if you see the snitch."
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: James and Lily during their therapy session with Madame KeepdownLily: You see Madame Keepdown-all this anger? Something is bothering our dear James...James: I'll give you a hint what it is-she's sitting next to me and looks like a leprechaun.Lily: At least my hair doesn't look like a woodland creature crawled on top of my head and died.James: At least I don't turn into a radish after standing in the sunlight for five minutes.
- Betty and Veronica: For several months, Frank (Archie) is torn between his longtime girlfriend Alice (Betty), and his temptation toward the beautiful and popular Carlotta (Veronica): He chooses Alice, in really quite a Foregone Conclusion.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Marlene (blonde), Mary and Donna (brunette), and Lily (redhead)
- Dead Fic: Last updated in 2013.
- Deadpan Snarker:
- Doorstopper: The word count as of chapter 36 is 613,000+ - well over twice that of the longest novel in the series, Order of the Phoenix (at 257,000). By contrast, War and Peace sits at just under 560,000!
- Dynamic Entry: In one of the best character introductions ever written in fanfiction, probably:
- "Seemingly out of nowhere, a tall boy with messy black hair appeared somewhere just behind Marlene. James Potter-for that was who it was-pushed past everyone else and in one simple, graceful, and utterly shattering motion punched Nicolai Mulciber square in the jaw."
- Everyone Can See It: James and Lily
- Flash Forward See Action Prologue. Also, Chapter 13, "Something Realized" which takes place in the January of 1976, begins and ends with a list of tantalisingly vague statements about things which will happen to each of the characters in the year ahead.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sirius (sanguine), James (choleric), Remus (melancholic), Peter (phlegmatic).
- Also, Mary (sanguine), Donna (choleric), Lily (melancholic), Marlene (phlegmatic).
- Friends with Benefits: Donna and Charlie Plex while Charlie is with Cassidy Gump.
- Gilligan Cut: Marlene has a chat with James and states she won't bore him by talking about her breakup with Miles. Cut to five minutes later where she's in tears about him.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Marlene realises she's in love with Adam because she is jealous of his new girlfriend Prudence
- Important Haircut: Marlene Price after her break up with Miles.
- Love Epiphany: September 1st aka The Worst Day Ever when Lily realizes she likes James.
- Also, Chapter 13 aka Something Realized when Frank realizes he is still in love with Alice several months after they have broken up (on account of him kissing Carlotta).
- Likewise, in Chapter 20 aka Moments, Alice realizes she still loves Frank.
- Messy Hair: James Potter's hair
- Nepotism: Icarus Frop, Tom's nephew who works at the Leaky Cauldron with Donna and Sirius.
- Original Character: Has loads of original characters, including minor background characters and major point-of-view characters.
- Really Gets Around: Carlotta Meloni
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Lily Evans
- Smoking Is Cool: James Potter. Somewhat lampshaded.Lily: Why do you smoke?James: I like how it looks. You have to admit, there's something striking about the smoke.
- Shipper on Deck: Sirius, Remus, Peter and Sam for James and LilyRemus: We care, because for six years, we have sat through rants, and complaints, and hours upon hours of brainstorming sessions while you concocted truly awful ways to ask that girl out Sirius: We have listened to things, that no man with anything going on downstairs should ever have to listen to! Half the time, you were just talking to yourself! WHY is Lily Evans mates with Snivellus? WHY does she think Im the devils illegitimate son? WHY didnt she agree to date me when I bewitched her dinner to ask her out? WHY did I think it was a good idea to bewitch her dinner to ask her out?
Sirius: You two should have children. Can you imagine the madness of the hair? Bright red and sticking up in all directions. Chaos."
- Oh, Sirius.
Sirius: "The thing is... you, Evans, click."Lily:Thats very nice, Black, but I have no intention of marrying James.Sirius: Sure, Ginger. Give it a year, yeah?
- The Big Damn Kiss: Adam and Marlene
- True Companions: The Marauders
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: James and Lily, Adam and Marlene
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: James and Lily