It's been a month since the events of Splatoon 2 and Callie still refuses to leave her apartment. Depressed and troubled, Callie hasn't been herself since she came back home. Marie, however, is there to try and mend her cousin's wounds.
Her Fractured Spirit is a Splatoon fanfic by LadyHood. It takes place after the events of the second game and is centered around Callie and Marie. It can be read here.
Her Fractured Spirit contains examples of:
- Alliterative Family:
- Marina has a brother nicknamed Marny (his full name is "Marmaduke").
- Octolad's real name is Salmonford. His mom is Sammy and his dad is Samwell. Then there's his little brother Hayden.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: Used non-lethally during a Turf War. rvMatt1 jumps off a tower instead of letting herself be splatted by someone else.
- Clashing Cousins: Octolad and Lady. They were once like brother and sister but past events has caused their relationship to sour.
- Cool Uncle: LadyHood notes that Octolad's parents are (or "were" in the case of his dad) cool and idealistic.
- Dark Fic: Instead of Callie shrugging off her trauma, she begins to suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Though the fic isn't that dark, it deals with more serious topics than the games themselves and features some profanity.
- Disappeared Dad: Octolad's father died two years ago.
- Family Theme Naming: Discussed. It turns out Callie's mom brought up the idea that her daughter and her niece should have punny names.
- Fictional Counterpart:
- Full-Name Ultimatum: During a fight in the past, Octolad and rvMatt1 refer to each other by their full names in anger.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: "The early squid gets the fish" instead of "The early bird gets the worm".
- Mental Health Recovery Arc: The story deals with Callie recovering from her PTSD after being kidnapped during Splatoon 2's story.
- Mythology Gag: Marie and Callie's code names, Mar and Tina, are their Spanish names.
- Oh My Gods!: "Thank the ancestors" is used once. "Squid Jesus" and "oh my cod" (which is canon) also pops up. The characters do also outright use "oh my God", though.
- Older Than They Look: Callie is actually older than Marie. Everyone thinks it's the other way around because of how immature she seems, while in contrast how mature Marie looks and acts.
- Secret Relationship: Marina and Pearl are a couple. They'd rather not have their relationship in the public eye, however they act just flirty enough to cause rumors.
- Slumber Party: Chapter 8 has Callie and Marie having a sleepover. They're roommates, so it's more about image than anything.
- Sleepy Depressive: The normally energetic Callie's inability to get out of bed is a sign of her worsening depression.
- Stepford Smiler: Callie tries to pretend she's fine but Marie knows her well enough to see through her facade.
- Sweet Tooth: Callie orders an ultra-sweet mix of banana, strawberry, and cotton candy flavoured ice cream with sprinkles and marshmallows on top. She recommends it to Marie, who also likes it.
- Trauma Button: Callie often gets triggered easily by things that remind her of what happened. For example, her Agent shades causes her to panic and going near Ancho-V, the place she was kidnapped at, upsets her as well.
- Troubled Fetal Position: During a Turf War, Callie gets triggered when a Octoling character uses bomb rush. She ends up sobbing in fetal position.
- Unusual Euphemism:: Marine-based puns such as "holy carp" and "squit" are used.
- Younger Than They Look: Marie is Callie's junior by an unspecified amount of time.