The Inkopolis Chaos Trilogy is a collection of 3 Splatoon fanfictions made by CrystallicWolf108. The stories all focus on different topics, while using the same/similar cast of protagonists. The first story focuses on proving Natalies innocence to the police, when she was falsely accused of theft, and left homeless for a year. The second story focuses on The Octobusters, a group of racist inklings who wish to get octolings out of Inkopolis. The third story introduces the Big Bad, Lieutenant Obsidian, and the heroes must stop her from destroying all life on the surface.
The trilogy can be read here on Wattpad.
Inkopolis Chaos contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: The villains are defeated, the good octolings that were trapped and brainwashed underground are now free from the tyrannical octo valley, meaning that the tension between inklings and octolings is finally over (except the bad octolings and octarians, who all remain underground). The heroes and innocents are living happily, but their victory came at a cost. Ruby Diorite died in a heroic sacrifice, and now Jade will have to live with the weight of knowing that someone died for her to live. Sylvia also gets PTSD from her experiences in the camps, even if she managed to recover from her emotionally broken state. Finally, its hard not to mention the thousands of octolings that Lieutenant Obsidian executed, which is a brutal loss for the octoling race. While overall the trilogy ends happy, there were some consequences.
- Covers Always Lie: Inkopolis Chaos 3 hardly even takes place in Inkopolis, mostly focusing on Cuttlefish Cabin or Octo Valley. Inkopolis is only visited twice, in parts 6 and 14.
- Darker and Edgier: Inkopolis Chaos 3 really makes this clear. Upon Lieutenant Obsidians arrival, she murders a prison warden to get her money back, and its done just like that. Even if that warden wasnt a major character, no other villain has killed someone so suddenly, and its quite a shock when she does it. It gets even worse when Sylvia gets traumatized by Sub Lieutenant Blakeson, and remains a shell of her former self for the majority of the third story. Thankfully she recovers, but she is left with PTSD, and its still extremely shocking. Scarlet Spiker even murders 11 people just for fun, which was foreshadowed in the first story when she stated shed wreak havoc on Inkopolis just for fun, and its absolutely shocking seeing how she went from a typical bully to a sadistic serial killer. The absolute worst part is when Ruby sacrifices herself, showing that these villains are an extremely serious threat, they're not playing around. Anyone can die now.
- The Dictatorship: Lieutenant Obsidian is the dictator of the octarians, ruling over them with an iron fist.
- Foreshadowing: Foreshadowing is absolutely everywhere. In the first story, its frequently foreshadowed that Samuel and Natalie will end up together, and even outright confirmed in some of the stories tags. The first story even foreshadows some of the third story when James and Jess argue with Scarlet, and only going with her plan either out of fear or boredom, which foreshadows them abandoning her in the future. More foreshadowing in the first story to the third story is when Ruby says she doesnt deserve to live, which foreshadows her sacrifice in the third story. The second story foreshadows Cyaluxs secret villainy multiple times. The first time is when he sneakily puts a golden egg in his bag during a salmon run shift. The second time is when he says he will speak to Melissa, but when Melissa talks to Sylvia, she doesnt mention him speaking to her. Theres also some foreshadowing of his brother, as he asks if he was the only one who got on with his brother. The third story also has some foreshadowing, with Adelyte joking about Luke, Summer and Melissa being in a threesome, foreshadowing that Luke and Summer would end up together. There is also more foreshadowing of Rubys death, when Marie asks the agents to come back in one piece, and Ruby promises she would, even though Ruby sacrifices herself moments later.
- Knight of Cerebus: Inkopolis Chaos 3 takes a sudden dark turn, while the first two stories could get dark at times, they still mostly remained positive and upbeat, the third story is really dark almost all the way through. This is due to Lieutenant Obsidian, and the threat she poses being world ending. Not only that, but her setting up concentration camps and mass executions is an extremely dark turn for the series. Unsurprisingly, once shes dead, the ending goes back to being positive and upbeat, with her threat no longer being present, and any of her surviving prisoners being released.
- Series Fic: The series is a trilogy of three separate fics.
- Shout-Out: Blakeson's speech he gives during the mass executions bears a striking resemblance to Lieutenant Groves' speech talking about Cutler Beckett's decrees from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Jade is a tomboy and Katelin is not. Both are secret agents and they're also both dating. In the third story, there usually seen together, and feel upset when apart from each over if the other is in danger.
- Villain Team-Up: In the third story Lieutenant Obsidian and Scarlet Spiker team up, though it is a sharky alliance and Scarlet plans to betray Obsidian, and Obsidian plans to throw Scarlet in a camp once she is done with her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Due to this story being set in the Splatoon universe the cast has a wide variety of hair colors. Samuel and Bethany have blue, Luke and Jade have green, Sylvia and Georgina have orange, Natalie and Dylan have pink, Melody has pink/purple, Katelin has blue/purple, Ruby and Scarlets gang have red, Summer and Melissa have yellow, Obsidian and Blakeson have black, Cyalux has light blue and Adelyte has turquoise.