Big Sister by Academia Nut (author of Thousand Shinji) is a story with a similar premise to Lovehammer: A Magical Girl ends up in the Warhammer 40,000 universe before the Heresy and leaves a big mark. But the similarities end there.
When the future Primarch Vulkan arrives on Nocturne, he does not arrive alone, a teenaged girl, still recovering from crippling injuries even before somehow finding herself stranded on a Death World, comes across the infant Primarch and brings him to the nearest settlement through sheer force of will.
The two grow up together as the girl recovers, eventually helping her little brother battle Dark Eldar Raiders. The girl takes the nickname of Gari, meaning "Ash Maiden", a name she finds fitting, despite the sometime negative connotations that come with it. As she regains the use of her magic, Gari also helps her "Little Brother" grow in mind and spirit as fast as he does in body. When The Emperor lands on Nocturne, he finds his lost son to be a very different man than even he was expecting.
It can be read here.
- Accidental Misnaming: One of the reasons Ga'ri takes up the name is that it turns out that the problems certain people had in saying her name in her own series are even worse when the local tongue doesn't even have some sounds common in Japanese.
- Amazon Brigade: The Gae'ri, a team of female psykers modeling themselves after Vulkan's sister.
- Anyone Can Die: even Gari (maybe)!
- Artifact Title: Ga'ri disappears early after the fight with Puelammi.
- Big Sister Mentor: Ga'ri. It's right there in the title.
- Chaste Hero: Vulkan explains to Fara how he doesn't get love. subverted later when Fara offers to teach him... and apparently succeeds, as his daughter is living proof of.
- Cool Big Sis: Half the point of the story is Ga'ri being this. To a Space Marine Primarch, mind you.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- An Avatar of Khaine appears to fight Vulkan and does not last very long.
- In a more humorous example, Ga'Ri in Vulkan and the Emperor's game. To quote the Emperor, "BULL! SHIT!" as half of his army is wiped out in less than thirty seconds.
- Dead Fic: The story has not been updated since late 2010.
- Deconstruction: Vulkan basically tells the Emperor that choosing to follow someone because they beat you in one contest is not very smart; that one test is hardly the be-all and end-all of the qualities that make a ruler great.
- Determinator: Ga'ri for using all of her power to shelter the infant Vulkan despite still recovering from that whole mess with the Gadget Drone. Also for singlehandedly recovering from the wounds and infection sustained for doing so, and finally standing up on her own two feet after the first Dark Eldar attack and literally defining the concept for Vulkan.
- Failed Future Forecast: Konrad Curze is left perplexed when it turns out Vulkan is able to completely defy his visions of death and despair. While he's briefly left paralyzed by the hope it is possible to destroy the future his visions predict, Vulkan convinces him to take arms and fight the future.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: Vulkan uses his head and delivers one to the Night Haunter.
- Heroic BSoD Vulkan after losing Ga'ri
- Mood Whiplash: When the Mysterious Stranger The Emperor in Disguise asks for Vulkan's loyalty, Vulkan claims that there will be a series of Trials. Now, for the Emperor, this sort of thing is fairly common when meeting new sons- after all, Leman Russ challenged him to drinking and fighting. The atmosphere is fairly serious... and then Vulkan calls out for board games to be brought to him. The Stranger is visibly confused.
- Oh, Crap!:
- The Emperor secretly gathering samples of Gari's DNA.
- Puelammi getting possessed.
- See also The Reveal below.
- Papa Wolf: When Eldar attack Nocturne, Vulkan is not happy.
- The Reveal:
- It's hinted but never outright stated until the third chapter, when she pulls out Raising Heart, that Gari is Nanoha Takamachi.
- Vulkan has a daughter.
- Secret Test of Character: Vulkan's first training with the Salamanders.
- Vulkan asks Jaghatai Khan "What is best in life?". Three guesses what Khan says his original answer would have been.
- After killing a Dark Eldar raider: "If it bleeds, we can kill it."
- "Heeeeeres Konrad!"
- "Even if the Mon-keigh were here and had launched at the same time as us, to get through the interference in the Warp would take some sort of navigational genius..."
- Vulkan built a proto-force weapon on Nocturne with a hand-pumped charcoal forge.
- Silly Reason for War: A planet rebels against the Imperium because The Emperor's eyes are the "wrong" color. As one Scout puts it:Please tell me that our mission will be to assassinate those idiots and I get to use the sniper rifle this time..
- That Came Out Wrong: "I want your sister." -beat- " Correction, the Order needs your sister on its side."
- Too Fast to Stop: When Ga'ri puts up a barrier in the way of a Dark Eldar speeding at her, the results are... crunchy.
- The Woobie: You'll want to hug Konrad Curze.
- Wham Line: We get this said by Vulkan when asked by Teruel if the Emprah doesnt take well to Vulkan having a daughterAnd if he too is a threat? Teruel asked Then the galaxy can burn, Vulkan stated.