Paul Blackthorne (born March 5, 1969) is an English actor.
He rose to prominence after his role as Captain Andrew Russell in the Oscar-nominated film Lagaan. Since then, he has mostly appeared in American films and television shows such as ER, 24, The Dresden Files (in which he played the title character), Lipstick Jungle (200809) and Arrow.
Although born in Shropshire, England, Blackthorne spent his early childhood on British Military bases in both England and Germany.
- Holby City (2001) as Guy Morton
- Lagaan (2001) as Captain Andrew Russell
- ER (2004) as Dr. Jeremy Lawson
- 24 (2004) as Stephen Saunders
- The Dresden Files (2007-2008) as Harry Dresden
- Lipstick Jungle (2008-2009) Shane Healy
- A Christmas Carol (2009) as Guest #3 / Business Man #2
- Leverage (2010) as Tony Kadjic
- The Gates (2010) as Christian Harper
- White Collar (2010-2011) as Julian Larssen
- The River (2012) as Clark Quietly
- Justice League: Doom (2012) as John Corben / Metallo / Henry Ackerson
- Arrowverse (2012-2018) as Detective Quentin Larry Lance, Sturmbannführer Lance
- Dumb and Dumber To as Doctor
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (2017) as Gideon Hask
Tropes associated with the actor and his works
- Chronically Killed Actor: His characters tend to die.
- Fake American: After starring in Lagaan in 2001, he mostly starred in American films and television series playing American characters.
- Typecasting: Doctors, police officers or government agents are the characters that fill most of his acting resume.
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky: Stands 6'4 and often plays witty or gruff characters.