Beauty (French: Beauté) is a French comic book series made by artists named Hubert and Kerascoët. A Fairy Tale that offers grownups an engrossing take on the nature of beauty. Coddie is the most ugliest girl in her hometown and was bullied for being born ugly and smelling like fish. When the bullying becomes too much to bear, Coddie flees into the forest to cry and drops a tear on an ugly toad. The toad turn out to a fairy under a spell. As a reward, She grants Coddie her wish to be beautiful. Well, sort of. Coddie is still ugly, but everybody will perceive her as beautiful. The village folk no longer see her as repulsive and stinking of fish—they now perceive her as magnetically beautiful—which does not help her in her village. A young local lord saves her, but it soon becomes apparent that Coddie's destiny may be far greater than anyone ever imagined.
Tropes found in Beauty
- Adorably Precocious Child: Coddies daughter, Marine, is much smarter and intelligent than her.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Coddie was born ugly and wished to be beautiful. After saving Mab from her spell, Mab grants Coddies wish as reward for saving her. And that when things gone downhill..
- Butter Face: Coddie actually had a very attractive and voluptuous body but her face isnt very attractive.
- Character Development: Coddie. She starts out as a sympathetic Cinderella-like heroine to a vain and selfish brat abusing her power but later become a strong and wise The High Queen after learning her mistakes and the consequences of her power.
- Cliffhanger: after the Distant Finale, there is the surprise of a humoristic post-Epilogue. And now is the book finished? No. There is a silent page where a little girl, in modern clothes, in a cave, holds an open box from which Mab looks out. Although the scene appears serene, with a cute and simple drawing style, the previous story makes it... disquieting? However a Sequel Hook does not appear probable.
- Driven to Madness: Coddies gift cause Men to slowly become delirious yanderes and only think of her. Otto managed to break free from the spell thanks to true love.
- Evil All Along: Mab is actually an evil fairy and she tricked Coddie into thinking she was good and her sister, Mara, is evil.
- The Fair Folk: of the not-Disneyfied version, although the look of Mab can be deceiving. Even when they are well intentioned, they can be disturbing. In the scene of the gifts to newborns, the Fairies do not appear physically; they speak through possessed mediums.
- Foil: Coddie and Claudine. Both are unattractive women but with different personalities. Coddie is sympathetic and kind but is naive and gullible. Claudine is aloof and stubborn but is sharp-witted and intelligent. Coddie start off as a peasant working in the scullery before becoming a queen. Claudine start off as a princess before losing her kingdom and becoming a general of the army. Coddie seem to enjoy feminine activities like embroidery, trying out new dresses and being pampered while Claudine prefers politics, archery and hunting.
- Glamour: Coddie receives by a fairy apparent and impossible beauty. Her appearance does not change, it changes the perception that everyone has of her.
- Jackass Genie: Mab.
- Manchild: When Coddie received her beauty gift, She slowly begin to abused her newfound beauty selfishly like seducing men into giving her anything she wants and whined if she didnt get what she wants. It takes Peters death, Claudines brief bitter "The Reason You Suck" Speech and seeing men killing each other to snap her out it and finally realised her beauty gift has dangerous consequences.
- My God, What Have I Done?: after Coddie saw men killing each other for Coddies beauty, she finally realised she abused her gift too far.
- Noodle People: Claudine had a very skinny build when wearing tight clothes and in one nude scene.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Claudine give bitter brief one to Coddie and made her see men killing each other to give her a massive Jerkass Realization and realised her gift is more of a curse.Claudine: All is lost, so at least spare me you slather, stupid woman.
- Tomboy Princess: The fairies gifted Claudine with keen intelligence, independent mind and sense of authority that are destined for boys so she come off as strange by societys standards. After Losing her kingdom, she switched her dresses for trousers and armour.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Coddies gift from Mab. In reality, Coddie stay the same and is still ugly but everyone perceived her as beautiful.