The main protagonist of SteamWorld Dig
- Distressed Dude: His actual fate in the sequel was being strapped to Rosie's mecha and being used as a living battery. Good thing Dot came after him!
- Nice Hat: A simple yet nice-looking cowboy hat. He even tips it in versions with animated dialogue sprites.
- The Quiet One: Fits this more than being a true Silent Protagonist, as he does speak twice in the game: During the intro cutscene, and during the cutscene before battling Voltbot. He keeps talking in the sequel, even if he's really weak at that point.
- Scarf of Asskicking: A red one, and he lives up to the asskicking part when he storms Vectron. NPCs in the second game even mention his scarf when talking about him.
- Sudden Sequel Heel Syndrome: Seems to have undergone this, if NPCs thinking he was responsible for the earthquakes and him being worshipped by a cult as a destruction god are any indication. Maybe Vectron got to him after all... Just kidding, Rusty's still a good guy, as he was actually trying to keep the earthquakes from getting even worse.
A citizen of Tumbleton, and the main protagonist of Steam World Dig 2.
- Girlish Pigtails
- In-Series Nickname: Dot.
- Little Miss Badass: Seems fairly young for a steambot, but is more than capable of trekking across the sequel's worlds, smashing monsters' heads with a pickaxe, and destroying a mech suit piloted by a Shiner with Rusty strapped to the front.
- Promoted to Playable: Was not playable in the first game, but is the focus of the sequel.
- The Assimilator: Seeks to lure steambots from the surface by using upgrades to tempt them further down, and then absorb their minds and the information within to grant itself the ability to overtake the surface.
- Big Bad: Of the first game, and of the series as a whole, due to his roles in Dig 2, Heist and Quest.
- Black Speech: Most characters talking merely have soft, processed grumbles or babbles. This makes the ear-splitting, bitcrushed roaring he emits when he speaks all the more jarring.
- Cyber Cyclops: Has one red eye from which he fires Eye Beams.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: The areas he controls are described as and colored to look cold as ice.
- Flunky Boss: Will often deploy drones to defend himself.
- In Case of Boss Fight, Break Glass
- Mechanical Abomination: It is, putting its operation into human terms, a soul-stealing subterranean monstrosity that has long since outgrown its original purpose.
- Shielded Core Boss: Tends to take this form whenever fought as an opponent, since his central components are often either small or unable to defend themselves directly.
- Shock and Awe: In contrast to the other robots, he is powered by electricity rather than steam.
- Walking Spoiler: Has little to no foreshadowing before he appears.
- We Can Rule Together: Attempts to do this with Rusty. It doesn't work.
The Yonker Family
Ma Yonker, and her children Mic, Luke, Josh, and Zebulon, are citizens of Tumbleton.