open/close all folders
Opening & Ending Themes
Being one of the Long-Runners in shonen anime, Bleach has more than enough ass kicking openings and endings. Here the best examples:
- "* ~Asterisk~" by ORANGE RANGE. The OP for the first season of the show. This is how you start a show! "* ~Asterisk~" went to top of the charts the second it was released in 2005, and stayed there for 22 weeks. Now if that doesn't say something about how awesome that song is, nothing will.
- "D-tecnoLife", by UVERworld, was an excellent introduction to the second season.
- The third opening, "Ichirin no Hana", debuting with a broadcast special consisting of 2 awesome episodes, also falls squarely here. Its remix on the single manages to make the song somewhat more violent.
- Between "ALONES" (6th), "Velonica" (9th), and "chAnge" (12th), all the best Bleach openings are in multiples of three.
- "TONIGHT, TONIGHT, TONIGHT", the fourth opening and the opening of the Bount arc, was also pretty badass.
- The 14th opening, "BLUE", is just awesome.
- The first ending theme, "Life is Like a Boat". It's just beautifully sad-sounding, but ultimately still hopeful.
- The 16th Ending, "Gallop", is pretty damn jazzy.
- "Hitohira no Hanabira", Ending #17, ranks among the greatest anime EDs of all time.
- Endings 10, 13, and 27 "Sakura Biyori", "Tane wo Maku Hibi", and "Aoi Tori" are simply gorgeous.
- Ending #25, "Last Moment", and Ending #28, "Haruka Kanata", are just straight up badass, summing up all the epicness of Part 1 of the series.
- Aqua Timez closes out the series with the epic 30th Ending, "MASK".
The soundtrack of the series and movies aren't far behind. Expect some Gratuitous Spanish in some of the themes from the Arrancar saga. Not only that, it's composed by Shiro Sagisu of Neon Genesis Evangelion fame.
- "Senna" has been used countless times to add huge dramatic effect, usually for a sudden strike or the arrival of a powerful figure. It works. Every time. Senna's Theme, by the way, is derived from a violin adaptation of a portion of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (1:12 to 1:24).
- "Revelation", an impressive organ piece that gets used in choice moments of the anime but ultimately serves as the theme of Ulquiorra's Segunda Etapa.
- "Number One", forever Ichigo's theme of badassery. Yes, even though (if not especially because) it sounds like a track from the Pointer Sisters.
- Can anyone say "Breakthrough Even"?
- "HOLLOWED", which is just "Breakthrough Even" minus the orchestral instruments, somehow making it more badass. Let's not forget all of those awesome Spanish themes either.
- "Nube Negra". It can officially be said the Arrancar's got one of the coolest entrance themes ever.
- "Invasion" has the same spirit as Breakthrough but is more kickass.
- The BGMs "Attack on the Beat" and "Back to the Wall" add a healthy dose of epic to any fight.
- Battle Ignition, the perfect song for when shit goes down, but the losing fighter refuses to go down for the count.
- This song is a sort of Canon Immigrant. "Treachery" was both used in the second movie OST and as a Theme Music Power-Up for Nnoitra's One-Winged Angel. It catches the attention for being an example of Surprisingly Good Ominous English Chanting.
- Shinji's Theme, "Can't Back Down".
- "Power to Strive", which plays when Grimmjow finally releases Pantera, is just awesome.
- "B13a", which plays in the one-sided battle scene between Hisagi and Fraccion Findor in Episode 219, and features in Ichigo and Aizen's final battle.
- This track sounds great (one from 0:05 to 1:18), yet it's not on any of the OSTs.
- "Domino Del Chad" and "Quincy's Craft". The latter is pretty nerdy, but still qualifies since it's Ishida's fight song.
- "Irish Dance", Ukitake and Shunsui's theme when they use Shikai in Fade to Black.
- Then we have one of the very first OSTs, "Soundscape to Ardor". There is no way you cannot be reminded of a very heartwarming event.
- "Escalon". Just... Escalon... Is it possible to watch this and not be reminded of Shinji's fight with Grimmjow?
- Kubo chooses theme songs for most of the important characters. Ichigo - "News From the Front" by Bad Religion, Chad - "No Song Unheard" by The Hellacopters, Isshin - "Don't Drag Me Down" by Social Distortion, Ulquiorra - "Moonshield" by In Flames, Grimmjow - "Step Inside" by A Bombs, and Kyoraku - "Por Una Cabeza" by Carlos Gardel to name a few.
- Here's a good one: "Stand Up Be Strong" from the Bleach: Fade to Black movie, both Part I and II. Its most iconic use so far is Ichigo unveiling the Final Getsuga Tenshou in his fight against Aizen.
- From Porno Graffitti, we get the ending theme for the Bleach: Fade to Black movie, "Koyoi, Tsuki ga Miezu Tomo".
- The ending theme for Memories of Nobody, "Sen no Yoru wo Koete", is really very beautiful and a definite Award-Bait Song.
- "Never Meant To Belong" is extremely heartwrenching in a beautiful way. It has just enough of a hopeful feel to not feel cheesy, while the well-orchestrated instruments make this one a winner.
- The whole freaking soundtrack of the fourth movie Hell Verse. Shiro Sagisu has seriously managed to top MANY songs from the other Bleach OSTs in sheer awesomeness. Most of the songs contain Ominous English Chanting of epic proportions. After listening some might accuse him of recycling some old songs from earlier Bleach seasons, but it's like the old songs took many levels in pure epicness.
- "Cometh the hour (Part A_Opus1)". Wow, just... wow...
- "Snakes of Despair". If you ever wanted to know how you can make a BOUNT song sound even more epic, just listen.
- "SD2_103". For those who need some cool guitar riffs.
- Also "BL106 Sakkaku" A Dark Reprise of "On the Precipice of Defeat".
- "4BLM_101_Chokkaku". Yet another version of "Number One". A hard-rock version you can headbang to. It goes without saying that this track is the distillation of pure awesomeness.
- "Save The One, Save The All" sounds Even More badass than many other T.M.Revolution singles!
- "Storm Center" makes any fight scene about ten times better.
- "Get Smart" is incredibly catchy.
- "Clavar la Espada". Catchy with a Spanish theme, what more could you ask for?
- "Reminiscence" is mainly used for Byakuya whenever he activates his Bankai. He makes dropping a weapon, a universal sign of defeat, into the ultimate Oh, Crap! You will never make fun of the colour pink and cherry blossoms ever again.