The Sea Prince and the Fire Child is an obscure Japanese animated movie released in 1981 by Sanrio (of Hello Kitty and Jewelpet fame). It tells the story of Starcrossed Lovers Syrius, son of the sea god Glaucus, and Malta, daughter of the fire goddess Themis and guardian of the Holy Flame that keeps the fire fairies alive. The two are kept apart due to a conflict caused by Argon, Lord of the Winds, many years ago, which led to a long-lasting war between water and fire.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Very much present, especially with the fire fairies. There is a hint of areola on Malta once she becomes fire queen, though.
- Bittersweet Ending: Syrius and Malta both die, but Glaucus sends them to heaven to let them recreate the harmony between water and fire with their love.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Piale is incredibly attached to Malta, to the point of attacking Syrius on sight.
- Dub Name Change: Various characters had their names changed in the English dub. For instance, Syrius's friend Teak becomes Bibble.
- Expy: Syrius could be considered the second coming of Peter Pan.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Quite a few:
- After Malta accidentally allows the Holy Flame to go out, Piale urges her to run away with Syrius. Once the lovers flee, she summons a new Holy Flame, apparently at the cost of her own life.
- Teak is mortally wounded in his attempt to recover the eye of Argon.
- And finally, At the end of the film, Syrius goes into the sunlight, even though he knows it will kill him, to approach newly-crowned Fire Queen Malta. After mourning his death, Malta carries him back into the water in order to die alongside him.
- Rapunzel Hair: Malta. Especially in her new form as the Fire Queen.
- Starcrossed Lovers: Duh.
- Third-Person Person: Piale sometimes talks like this.
- This Was His True Form: Malta reverts back to her original fire child form after she dies.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Malta. When she becomes the new fire queen, her hair changes color to purple.