Webcomic / Tails Gets Trolled
Together they make...note
What can be said about Tails Gets Trolled
Well, it's a Sonic the Hedgehog
crossover webcomic made by a DeviantArtist
called lazerbot in 2011. The comic starts out simple: a group of trolls start to harass Tails, forcing him to go to his friends for help. Sonic suggests trying to reason with the trolls, but Shadow insists that violence is the only answer. Soon enough, shit goes down and Shadow decides to create "The Troll Slaiyers", a group of people dedicated to killing all trolls.
What happens afterward cannot be described in words. It must be seen to be believed.
Currently available on deviantART here
or its own fan-supplied domain
. An audio adaptation is currently being recorded as well
Tropes represented in this series include:
- Anti-Hero: Shadow is a type IV to V at best.
- Anti-Villain: The Troll King, as well as Mario and Luigi.
- Anyone Can Die: According to Lazerbot, no single character is fully safe. The most notable example of this is the case of Sonic getting axed in the 4th chapter.
- Armored Closet Gay: Bugs Bunny joins the Troll Slaiyers due to his ability to screw with trolls by crossdressing and kissing them (he's nicknamed "The Gay"), but he mentions that he hates doing so. Later, Bugs confesses that he actually became gay with Daffy.
- Art Evolution: The series began as really basic MS Paint drawings with flat colors and simplistic backgrounds. And even that wasn't consistent. But only a few chapters in and shading starts getting implemented, alongside various effects like faked motion blur. In later chapters it reaches the point that it makes you wonder sometimes if you're even reading the same comic; the only thing consistent is Off-Model characters.
- Art Shift: One panel or page can have a relatively simplistic style, and then suddenly it can shift into excessively detailed artwork (for a batshit MS Paint comic anyway). Sometimes this is used for dramatic effect, other times the shift in and of itself is a gag, especially when a character is suddenly on-model in a series rife with Off-Model.
- Black Comedy Rape/Rape as Drama: There is a lot of rape in this series. (it's how trolls like to finish off their defeated enemies.)
- Bestiality Is Depraved: It's hinted that Troll Face raped Porkchop's corpse after the trolls killed him, prompting Doug to join the Defenders.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Most of the characters, almost by necessity but particular note has to go to Rob, the Guy with No Ears, who when buying time for his friends to escape, manages to hold off an army of Trolls singlehandedly. Even Alex the Emo Troll is suitably impressed
- Big Bad Ensemble: The Troll King, Demaro, and Chester/Cheeto Man all could count.
- Big Good: Pac-Man.
- Except not really, thanks to the horrible truth of the Defenders. He's just a figurehead and a puppet to Chester like the rest of them.
- Black and Gray Morality: It nosedives into this early on and never really comes out of it.
- Boom, Headshot:
- How Shadow ends the life of several characters, Daffy Duck in particular.
- This is how the Christians killed Porky's wife and son. by sniping them them both, with one single bullet.
- Boring, but Practical: Afterh the failure of the Awesome Fucking Plan, Silver realizes that the only way to make an actually good plan requires throwing out ideas that sound cool but are elaborate or overly violent.
- Breaking the Fellowship: The aftermath of the debacle known only as the Awesome Fucking Plan, causes Rob and Silver to leave with Elmer Fudd and pursue their own way of stopping the troll invasion because of how disgusted they are with Shadow. Mario leaves cackling about how much of an idiot Shadow is and about how he and the Troll Slaiyers were nothing but tools to him, with Bowser joining the remainder of the group at the end.
- Bury Your Gays: Bugs and Daffy.
- Many Troll's deaths hint this as well, with some crying over their friend's deaths saying how much they loved them or offering sex to be spared.
- Butt-Monkey: Like in many other media, Porky Pig has bad luck in this comic. He learns that he has Satanic necromancy powers as he is attending a Christian funeral, he discovers an angry mob killed his parents and cooked them into bacon, and then both his wife and his son are killed in one shot.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The comic goes from a simple story of Shadow killing trolls in extremely violent and one sided fights, to an overly complicated and dark (though still hilarious) story with a large cast with different motives and schemes going on.
- Cerebus Rollercoaster: A drawn-out series of battles with Demaro, then the humor-filled weed party (which would frequently show off some hideously dark flashbacks), then the biggest Wham Episode in the entire series.
- Chekhov's Gun: When Demaro uses his strings to rip off part of Garry's face, some string was left in his face. He attempts to use this during their battle.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Donkey Kong returns to join the Troll Slaiyers, and he brought a few friends
- Corrupt Church: The Christan Church. They used to cultivate an army of Neutrals like the Satanists but instead doubled down on their all normal recruitment efforts in recent years. And then, they commit genocide against all Neutrals they can find regardless if they work for the Satanists, and are willing to drag in their innocent family members, including infants, to get at them.
- Cerebus Retcon: The infamous "i'm so mad, I'm gonna go have sex with my girlfriend so I won't be so mad" line. Amy had been avoiding sex with Sonic for a long time due to sexual trauma.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Tails is on the receiving end of one courtsey of Alex in chapter 2. Later on in the story, The Troll King inflicts a brutal one on Sonic, killing him.
- Dear Negative Reader: Several fans complained that the fight between Garry and Demaro went on for too long. So, of course, near the end of it, this happens:
TIME TO END THIS SO THAT THE FANS CAN STOP COMPLAINING LIKE LITTLE CRY BABY BITCHES AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAH
- Decoy Protagonist: Subverted. Tails is initially set up as the victim of the story and the Audience Surrogate, but the focus quickly shifts to Shadow who spearheads the Troll Slaiyers and their fight against the trolls. However, the focus then shifts back to Tails around the time The Defenders show up, with Shadow gaining less and less presence in the story.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Where to start? Shadow's solution to Tails getting trolled and to the trolls retaliation is murdering them and committing an act of major terrorism. Sonic is at first rightfully horrified but eventually gives in after the trolls say his girlfriend is a man and a slut. Same thing with the Troll King to a much lesser degree. He was shunned from society and hid a under a bridge 'trolling people'. He was just doing to others what they did to him, up until he conquered a city and destroyed a village in an act of revenge.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Alex the Emo Troll might be a big jerk but he draws the line at murdering your friends and raping dead bodies
- Evil Versus Evil: The fight between Garry and Demaro.
- Evil All Along: The Defenders, especially Chester Cheetah and the Trix Rabbit.
- Eye Scream: At the command of Alex, Vector's eye is ripped out by the trolls
- In their battle, Mario is blinded after hearing one of the Troll King's seven curse words
- Fat and Skinny: The two trolls that harassed Tails in the beginning.
- Five-Bad Band: The main ruling body of the Troll City.
- Four Is Death: Chapter 4 kills off FOUR characters: Cream, Emerl, Espio, and Sonic.
- Funny Schizophrenia: All those years of being constantly trolled by kids have apparently caused the Trix Rabbit to go insane, to the point where he argues with himself whether or not Trix are for kids. He's also has serious trust issues, not to mention that he's prone to stripping himself and running around naked.
- The Generic Guy: One of Donkey Kong's allies, whose self awareness of his unimportant role is to the point that he doesn't care about his own name enough to tell it to everyone.
- Godwin's Law: This bit from chapter 6's Troll off:
"You literally made Adolf Hitler get off his dick throne in the midst of the flames of hell, walk into the bathroom, and sob quietly in the corner of a shower. He held a bottle of cheap whiskey in his shaking hand, no longer secure in his position as world's least likable human being."
- Gorn: At first it's just ridiculously over-the-top splatters and crushing. But then things get worse, like Vector getting an eye graphically ripped out, or Cream being burned alive with no Gory Discretion Shot in sight. The further in the chapters you get, the more likely the fate gets gruesomely depicted due to Art Evolution, to the point of maggot-infested piles of gored corpses in one page.
- Hidden Depths: Rob, who turns out to be Dragonborn.
- Out of all the neutrals, Wile E. Coyote is the one that is destined for great power.
- Surprisingly, Knuckles. Despite smoking weed under the belief that it'll make him smarter, he's the only one of the remaining Troll Slaiyers to do something useful which was finding out the location of the troll camps. He also calmly chews out Shadow for wiping out an entire village, saying that he should only take his anger out on the trolls, before leaving the Troll Slaiyers. His lecture is made more poignant when you realize that Knuckles is an easy-going guy, and for him to do so, Shadow has to realize that he just royally hosed up.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Mario and Luigi's parents were trolls who told a stork to leave them in the middle of nowhere to die. Kario, Mario and Luigi's father openly mocks them about this when they confront him on it. He just laughs saying he doesn't even love his wife but just loves having unprotected sex.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Mario and Luigi's first plan to kill the Troll King gives the Troll King a robot arm, which absorbs the fire damage to help him defend against Mario's blue fire attack.
- I Can't Hear You: A problem for Rob, the guy with no ears. As he is quick to scream out, he can't hear anybody.
- Infant Immortality: Averted Porky JR dies by sniper fire
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: While Tails is talking to Hello Kitty he mentions how Sonic told him "villains wasn't the answer".
Hello Kitty: villains? OH... you mean violence, im sorry, continue, im not really sure how you and your friends got violence and villains confused but whatever lol,
- Mega Crossover: It starts off with just Sonic the Hedgehog characters but quickly goes to work introducing lots and lots of characters from other sources. Nintendo, The Hulk, Batman, Peanuts, Dexter, the Trix Rabbit, Ronald McDonald, Looney Tunes, and League of Legends just to name a few.
- Mood Whiplash: Hard, around, Chapter 4.
- Even harder during and surrounding the events of the weed party.
- Moral Dissonance: In general, the protagonists often do things that make them no better than the trolls. Shadow and Sonic are the biggest offenders. However, as the story goes on this starts to gets subverted a bit as Sonic's attempt at revenge on the trolls leads to him being killed brutally. And after the failure of the fucking awesome plan, Shadow is painted in a much more negative light to the point that even Knuckles calls him out on his brutality.
- Monster Clown: Ronald McDonald.
- Mundane Solution: The Troll camps are found by asking online about it.
- Necromancer: Elmer Fudd, Wil E. Coyote, Sylvester, Tom, and Porky Pig all have this power.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Shadow killing the trolls that were harassing Tails ends up sparking the whole troll war.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: The usual result of a battle between the Troll Slayiers and mook trolls. Also what happens to Sonic and his friends when they fight the Troll King.
- Off-Model: Though that's implying there's a model in the first place. Characters change size and shape so wildly and frequently that John Kricfalusi would be proud.
- Off with His Head!: How a few characters get killed off, the most important of these being Sonic.
- One-Hit Polykill: Porky Jr. and Petunia Pig.
- Our Trolls Are Different: The Trolls are just humans, whose goal in life seems to be to make everyone around them as miserable as possible, by trolling them. With the exception of their leader, the Troll King, who is an actual bridge troll.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Silver, Rob, and Elmer Fudd disguise themselves with paper Troll Face masks to get into troll territory. Subverted later that it only works once against most trolls and only some very dumb trolls really fall for it, and even then when Silver proves himself in a friendly troll-off while Rob and Elmer say nothing.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: "embreaded"
- Reed Richards Is Useless: The Hulk, of all the chartacters. He spends most of the story doing nearly nothing and when he goes to do something it is pretty ineffectual, to the point he even lampshades this at some point:
Hulk: Fuck this I'm done standing here doing nothing.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Lazerbot has an odd tendency to split compound words ("dumb ass", "bull shit", "be side" etc). He also has a tendency to to use "was" instead of "were", "them" instead of "they" and "ill" instead of "i'll"
- Senseless Sacrifice: Teemo gets shot out of a cannon to to kill the Trolls by himself. Not only does the plan not make sense, they don't know where the troll base is so he just splats on some mountain.
- Seven Dirty Words: The Words of Death are inspired by them, though there are 10 Words of Death and "ni**er" is one of them.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: Knuckles's plan in chapter 10. "what do you mean? my plan was to get high and i did lol hahahah"
- Shoot the Hostage: Shadow does this to Daffy, in order to save Mario from being killed. It doesn't work out to well.
- Shown Their Work: One of the odd things about the series that makes this Web Comic so unique. Histories of each franchise and character remain in the comic's canon, including obscure bits of trivia that pop up from time to time. Like half the moon being destroyed and being Dr. Eggman's hidden base or Porky Pig's wife being Petunia Pig.
- The Stoner: Knuckles and Cheeto Guy.
- The Mole: Luigi and Mario. And then Luigi again against the Trolls.
- Token Evil Team Mate: Bowser to the Troll Slaiyers.
- Unknown Rival: Demaro obsesses over killing Coyote in order to become the best necromancer, but Coyote doesn't even remember who he is. Pretty understandable though, as he was really drunk the last time he saw him.
- Wall of Text: Frequent, and lampshaded. Kermit the Frog in particular is known for these.
- Wham Episode: The fourth chapter counts as one. It features Vector getting his eye ripped out, the shocking deaths of Cream, Espio, Emerl, and Sonic, and the reveal that Mario and Luigi were pitting the heroes and the trolls against each other. This chapter also marks the moment at which the comic takes a much darker turn.
- The Infamous "Weed Party" starting in chapter 17.
- Wham Shot: Chester's Ditch. In Chapter 20
- What an Idiot: The In Universe reaction by Silver due to the aftermath of Shadow the Hedgehog and the Troll Slaiyers Awesome Fucking Plan.
- Also Shadow's reaction to Knuckles plan to shoot Temo at the trolls in order to kill them.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Shadow gets a major case of this after killing Daffy and Bugs, to the point Alex the Emo Troll calls him out on it. It's the leading cause of why Troll Slaiyers disband
- Shadow gets a major case of this again when he vaporizes an entire village, believing that it's inhabited by trolls. To his credit, he immediately regrets doing it when Knuckles tells him that it wasn't.
- Knuckles's plan to destroy the trolls is related to using a cannon to launch Teemo at the trolls so he can go kill them. Teemo ends up being shot into a mountain and getting killed.
- Sonic calls out Shadow for killing the trolls in chapter 1, but Shadow doesn't care.
- When Mario reveals his fight with Luigi was staged to earn the trolls' trust, Shadow and Vector call him out on it, reminding him Luigi helped kill Sonic and his friends. Mario just turns it around on them, saying they're no less disposable than Daffy and Bugs.