Is That a Threat?
When threatened, a character responds with, "Is that a threat?" or "Are you threatening me?" regardless of how poorly veiled the actual threat was. Stock answers include, "No, it's a fact", "No, it's a promise" and "Yes." A common variation is having the character asking "is that a threat or a promise?", and its usually used as a form of Insult Backfire, when the threatened thing wouldn't inconvenience them, or even benefit them. If the threatened punishment is perceived as The Unishment, the recipient of the ultimatum may reply, "Why must you tempt me, so?" Compare Blackmail Is Such an Ugly Word and Implied Death Threat.
"Are you threatening me?"
- Tower of God:
- Lo Po Bia Ren: If King Zahard were to find out about this… I can't imagine how disappointed he would be…Ha Yuri Zahard: Oy, RED newbie, are you threatening me right now?Lo Po Bia Re: Th- Threaten? Of course not. I'm simply worry about the future of Zahard…Ha Yuri Zahard: Ah, really? Everything seems to be solved for you when you just add Zahard's name. That's really convenient! Using Zahard's name to threaten one of Zahard's Princesses… you must be out of your mind.
- Meet Joe Black:
- William Parrish: You're at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong woman!Joe Black: Are you threatening me?William Parrish: Yeah, I certainly hope so.
- A Man for All Seasons:
- The Duke of Norfolk: Aaahh, he won't attend the wedding.Cromwell: If I were you, I'd try and persuade him. I really would try... if I were you.The Duke of Norfolk: Cromwell, are you threatening me?Cromwell: My dear Norfolk... this isn't Spain. This is England.
- Doctor Who: "Partners in Crime":
- The Doctor: Seeding a level five planet is against galactic law.Matron Cofelia: Are you threatening me?The Doctor: I am trying to help you, matron. This is your one chance.
- Big Finish Doctor Who: "Faith Stealers":
Bordinan: Are you threatening me?Carder: Come come Bordinan, we're both adults here...of course I'm threatening you.
- Without a Trace:
- Agt. Jason Farrell: Are you threatening me, Agent Malone?Jack Malone: You take it any way you want!
- Harry Pearce: Are you threatening me?Tessa Phillips: You threatened me from way up there on your moral high ground. You hypocritical arsehole.
- (Porter has just threatened to kill Carter while talking to Bronson on the phone)Bronson: Are you threatening me?Porter: I'm not threatening you, I'm threatening Carter.
- Butter Cream Gang has the cliché:
- Pete Turner: Are you threatening me? Is that a threat?Scott Carpenter: No, that's a promise.
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith:
- Mace Windu: In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you're under arrest, Chancellor.Supreme Chancellor Palpatine: Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?Mace Windu: The Senate will decide your fate.Palpatine: I am the Senate.
- Transformers Animated
- The Dark Knight
- Lawyer: Are you threatening my client?Rachel Dawes: No, I'm just assuming his cooperation with this investigation.
- Time Chasers
- J. K. Robertson: Are you threatening me?Nick: No, I'm telling you!
- Ice Age
Diego: (The group has found a shortcut under a dangerous-looking cliff, which Sid is hesitant to enter) Then I suggest you take the shortcut.Sid: Are you threatening me?Diego: MOVE, SLOTH! (avalanche starts)Sid: (Patting Diego) Way to go, tiger!
- Commonly uttered by Beavis in Beavis And Butthead when he's in his "Cornholio" phase — said in response to just about anything.
- Law & Order:
- Witness: Are you threatening me?Lennie Briscoe: You catch on pretty fast!
- Another example:
Ron Drexler: Is that a threat?Det. Fontana: A threat? No. A threat would be more like... "If you stonewall this investigation any more I'm gonna break your jaw. And when you're on the ground, I'm gonna kick you 'till you spit blood you cheap shyster." That would be a threat. This is more of a request.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
- Uncle Vernon: Are you threatening me, sir?Mad-Eye Moody: (pleased Vernon's caught on so quickly) Yes, I am.Vernon: And do I look like the kind of man who can be intimidated?Moody: Well...(reveals his magical eye, making Vernon jump backwards into a luggage trolley) Yes, I'd have to say you do, Dursley.
- Heavy Rain:
- Ethan's psychiatrist: Are you threatening me?Lt. Carter Blake: I'm just giving you some free advice, doctor. I suggest you take it.
- A variation from an episode of of the sitcom Taxi; Louie has enraged Alex to the point that Alex has ripped the front off of Louie's dispatcher cage and bodily dragged him forth:
- Louie: Are you threatening me with physical violence?Alex: [growls]Louie: I'm not sayin' it won't work! I'm just askin'!
- Hexenbeast: Are you threatening me?Nick: I'm sorry. Must have done it badly, I thought I made myself pretty obvious.
- Merlin, "The Coming of Arthur, Part 1"
Cenred: Don't worry, Morgause. I'll find him soon enough.Morgause: See that you do.Cenred: Are you threatening me?Morgause: Trust me, Cenred, when I am threatening you, you'll know about it.
- Given a call back in the next episode when Morgause cheerfully informs Cenred that she's threatening him right before having him killed.
- The Monarch of the Glen has a third-party variant, where the typical response fails to impress.
Old lady: * Are you threatening him?Smith: I don't threaten.Old lady: Ah. Well I do. And if you or that fat bastard you work for hurt this young man it'll be the worse for both of you.There's worse things than dying, and I know most of them. I'm not young, and I'm not one for idle talk. So if I were you, I'd look after this lad.
- Worm has a third-party variant:
Director Tagg: And you don’t care about your savior, locked away in that cell?Director Tagg: I don’t know. You said she’ll do damage in some form. Maybe we need to stop that from happening. And you said that no matter what happens, the outcome’s more in our favor than it was before she surrendered. Why? Is it that important to remove her from Brockton Bay? To unseat her from her throne?Dinah Alcott: I’m not answering any more questions.Director Tagg: You’ll answer what I ask you to answer, because we need to go into this with our eyes open. We can’t have Skitter damage us.Mrs. Yamada: Director, this isn’t constructive. The last thing she wants-Dinah Alcott: The last thing I want is another arrogant dickface telling me what to do. You want answers, Director? Fine. Twenty two point eight one three percent chance you die painfully, over long, slow minutes or hours. Maybe soon, maybe in twenty years, but it’ll bring you to tears, and you’ll wail in pain. That’s a freebie. Want more details?
- The Bluth company's former Secret Keeper Kitty turns this around on Michael in the Arrested Development episode Missing Kitty when she meets him in a crowded restaurant to get her job back:
Kitty: I know where things are and you don’t and you are asking for a whole world of trouble.Michael: If you’re threatening me, you’re going to be very sorry.Kitty: Are you threatening me?Michael: Yeah, that’s a threat. I’m threatening you.Kitty: Did you hear that everyone? Michael Bluth is threatening me!
- Babylon A.D. The High Priestess of the Neolite Cult is on the phone to Russian mob boss Gorsky.
High Priestess: Mr Gorsky, when I kill, I kill for good.
Gorsky: Are you threatening me?
High Priestess: Bless your soul.
Gorsky: You'll need a nuke to kill me!
(Gorsky's security system detects an incoming missile)
- Two examples in A Song of Ice and Fire.
"Are you threatening me?" "I am counseling you."
- Ser Kevan Lannister warns his niece the Queen Regent not to take him lightly.
King Joffrey: The king can do as he likes!Ser Meryn: No one threatens His Grace in the presence of the Kingsguard!Tyrion: I am not threatening the King, I am educating my nephew. Bronn, if Ser Meryn speaks again, kill him. See? That is a threat.
- In an earlier novel, Tyrion Lannister does something similar when he finds his nephew King Joffrey having Sansa Stark stripped and beaten in public.
Hyde: Are you threatening my family?Benjamin: Yeah. I am. Explicitly, and directly, and emphatically threatening the lives of Dr. Jackman's family.
"Is that a threat?"
- Death Warrant:
- Rules Of Engagement:
- Sokal: Is that a threat?Colonel Hodges: Oh yes sir.
- Parodied in Two and a Half Men:
- Charlie: Is that a threat?Jake: No, it's a promise.Charlie: What's the difference?Jake: I don't know— one's a threat and one's a promise.
- Played with in Scream 3:
- Dewey: Is that a threat, Detective?Detective Kincaid: When it's a threat, you'll know it.Dewey: Is that a threat?
- The Swan Princess:
- Prince Derek: Don't let her die!Rothbart: Is that a threat?Prince Derek: Don't you dare let her die!Rothbart: Oh, it is a threat.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie version):
- Malfoy: My father will hear about this!Professor Moody:' Is that a threat? Is that a threat?! Is that a threat?!(Malfoy flees)
- Rebecca: Is that a threat, Peee-lar?Pilar Lopez-Fitzgerald: No. I don't make threats. I make promises.
- Club Dread:
- Juan: Yu and Hank are dead!Coconut Pete: ...What did we do?Juan: No! Yu and Hank are fucking dead!Coconut Pete: Is that a threat?
- Blood And Chocolate:
- Aiden: Is that a threat?Rafe: No... (headbutts him) This is a threat!
- Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen:
- Carla: I'll show you what it's like to be in my school.Lola: Is that a threat?Carla: Absolutely!
- The 1970 horror flick Torture Dungeon:
- Ivan: I'd like to break you neck.Rosemary: Not if I break yours first.Ivan: Is that a threat?Rosemary: Take it anyway you like it!Ivan: I usually do!
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf??
- George: Try and I'll beat you at your own game.Martha: Is that a threat George, huh?George: It's a threat, Martha.
- Dr. Dolittle 2:
- Dr. Dolittle: (talking to an animal) You're an endangered species!Archie: Is that a threat, buddy?
- If Looks Could Kill:
- Mrs Grober: And despite what you are saying, if I don't have Michael Corben by the end of this week, she is going to be one very unhappy lady!Haywood: Is that a threat, Mrs. Grober?Mrs Grober: French teachers do not threaten, Monsieur. They say, "S'il vous plait."
- Stargate SG-1:
- First Minister Dreylock: Need I remind you that the stargate is in our possession?Tarthus: For the moment.First Minister Dreylock:Is that a threat?Tarthus: It's an assurance that when it comes to the survival of our people, we will do whatever is necessary.
- Vaughn Leland: IT WAS CROOKED! And I believe you knew that! You'll regret this!J R: Is that a threat Vaughn?Vaughn Leland: A promise!
- Star Trek: Voyager - "Prophecy":
- Kohlar: It is possible that the sacred scrolls were scrolled by a madman in a cave. Or perhaps they really were divinely inspired. Either way, they've guided us for over a century. If my people start to believe that the sacred scrolls have led them astray, there may be violence.Captain Kathryn Janeway: Is that a threat?Kohlar: Merely a fact. You're doing everything you can to get your people home, Captain. That's all I'm doing for mine.
- Star Trek: Voyager - "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy":
- Seven of Nine: The Doctor and I are going to Sickbay.B'elanna Torres: Any excuse to be alone with him, eh, Seven?Seven of Nine: Assimilation is an unpleasant fate.B'elanna Torres: Is that a threat?
- Red Dwarf
- Lister: Okay Rimmer, Okay.Rimmer: Is that a threat Lister?Lister: Yeah.Rimmer: Actually, "okay" is not a threat, technically speaking.Lister: It is when you're meaning it to mean what I'm meaning it to mean, and I'm meaning it to mean okay, Rimmer, O-kaaaay!Rimmer: Lister, "okay" is never a threat, no matter how many "aaaay"s you put on the end of it.
- The Sopranos
- Tony: What's that, a threat?Carmela: No Tony, it's a rave review!
- The Lion King has a variation
- Mufasa: Is that a challenge?
- Warrior Cats:
- Skipper: I've seen Red around a lot lately. Next time, it might be a tuft of her fur that's left beside a dead Twoleg pet.
Stick: Leave Red out of this. And don't make threats you can't keep.
Misha: Oh, they're not threats. They're promises.
- Star Wars: Vison of the Future
- Tierce: That sounded like a threat.
Disra: It was half a threat. Here's the other half.
[Disra draws his concealed blaster pistol]
- 7th Heaven:
Robbie's Father: You can't stop me from moving in with my son.Rev. Camden: The state of New York can.Robbie's Father: Is that a threat?Rev. Camden: No, it's not a threat. (pause) Okay, it's a threat.
"Is that a threat or a promise?"
- Revolutionary Road:
- Frank: Listen to me, you do this April, you do this and I swear to god...April: What? You'll leave me? Is that a threat or a promise?
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody:
- Zack: What are you doing here?Maddie: Saving your butt before I kick it!Zack: Is that a threat or a promise?
- Knights of the Old Republic:
- Carth: ...or I'll turn you over my knee!Female Revan: Is that a threat or a promise?