open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Rurouni Kenshin
Sanosuke Sagara (Zanza): [after being punched in the head with a dagger and being completely unharmed] Is that the best you can do? Even with a dagger? Man, I sure picked a boring fight.
- Happens a lot in Dragon Ball Z when the Saiyans aren't at the level of the moment's big bad...or vice versa, sometimes.
Frieza: [after laying into Goku at full strength] Well, now! Satisfied?Super Saiyan Goku: [getting back on his feet] Is that the best you can do?Frieza: What?Goku: I said, is that the best you can do?Frieza: WATCH YOUR TONGUE! [charges at Goku...right into a punch that makes him spit blood]
- The Nightmare King from the Animated Adaptation of Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland says something similar as Nemo attempts to remember the incantation to activate the Royal Scepter, the only thing that can defeat him.
- Occurs frequently in Bleach, both from bad guys to good guys and good guys to bad guys: "Is that all you've got?" Generally indicates that the loser is in dire shape, but somehow they will still triumph in the end.
- Marv's Last Words in Sin City: The Hard Goodbye: "Is that the best you got, you pansies?" This is after the electric chair failed to kill him.
- He says it earlier during his second fight with Kevin, while he takes a vicious beating waiting for Kevin to leave himself open.
- In the The Superman Adventures, Superman has this to say to Lex Luthor after his nemesis has just tried to kill him again: "Today, you thought you saw me at the limit of my power. Sorry, Luthor...I was only at the limit of yours!"
- In The Keys Stand Alone: The Soft World, Spectrem angrily attacks Paul in an effort to force him to fight back. But the Nigh Invulnerable, Actual Pacifist Paul isn't harmed in the slightest (though he's irked), and he says, “Right, if this is the best you can do, I rather doubt you'll be able to do anything to me. You can spend all day at this if you like, but nothing's gonna change, so you may as well quit now and save yourself a bit of frustration.”
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- 300: Stelios (Michael Fassbender) shouts "IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO?!" at the first wave of Persian footmen as they hopelessly try to break the Spartan phalanx.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
[Mikaela discovers Wheelie and captures him]
Wheelie: Is that the best you got, huh? Is that the best you can do?
- The Truman Show
Truman: [While sailing in the artificially-roughened winds and seas, he shouts to the sky] Is that the best you can do?
- Fantastic Four
[Johnny engulfs Dr. Doom in a huge fire cone that burns away his clothes and outer skin]
Victor Von Doom: Is that the best you can do?
- The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain
Betty: "I'll try?" Is that the best you can do?
- The More the Merrier (1943)
[Carter and Dingle are reading a "Dick Tracy" comic strip]
Constance 'Connie' Milligan: Is that the best you can do with your time?
- Sharpe's Sword
Patrick Harper: There must be something you can do for him, Father!
Father Curtis: I'm a priest. I pray for him.
Patrick Harper: Is that the best you can do for him?
- Mary Poppins. Bert, to Michael Banks while riding merry-go-round horses.
- Lord of Illusions: Harry D'Amour (Scott Bakula)
- Keeping the Faith: Father Brian Finn (Edward Norton)
- Vertigo: Line said by Judy when she presents herself to Scottie in a new dress but his reaction remains underwhelming.
- Tank Girl. Kesslee, after TG drops a bucket of water on his head.
- August Rush.
Marshall: [Backing away as Louis continues pushing him] That the best you got? Is that the best you got man?
- Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies
Tillover: How does a week in the hole sound?
Djinn: A week, is that the best you got? I was once in a hole for 3000 years, this should be a breeze.
- Treed Murray.
Shark: Is that the best you got, Murray?
- Rocky said this at least once during his climactic fight with Clubber Lang in Rocky III, and much more than that.
- Wikus during his Roaring Rampage of Revenge in District 9.
Is that all you got? Is that all you fokken got?
- The Incredible Hulk: "Mere" Super Soldier Blonsky to the Incredible Hulk. Hulk responds by launching him into a tree with one kick, breaking most of his bones. After Blonsky becomes the Abomination, however, this is his reaction to the Hulk whaling on him with police-car-boxing gloves and punching him full-on in the face.
- Dragonheart: Draco says this word for word when Bowen throws a spear at him, seemingly impaling him.
Draco: Is that the best you can do?
- Avengers: Age of Ultron: Thor yells "Is That The Best You Can Do!?" after a barrage of attacks by Ultron, only for the automaton to chuckle and send entire legions of Ultron Sentries at the Avengers.
Captain America: You ''had'' to ask.
Live Action TV
- Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The High Ground"
Kyril Finn: You haven't tasted real fear yet, Doctor.
Doctor Beverly Crusher: Is that the best you can do? Is fear the only weapon you have?
- NCIS: Los Angeles episode "Hand-to-Hand"
Kensi Blye: Crashing in the spare bedroom, is that the best you can do? You were lucky I didn't shoot you.
- Beverly Hills 90210 episode "Scared Very Straight" [concerning a bag full of drugs]
David Silver: I was thinking we could take it down to the beach somewhere and bury it.
Dylan McKay: It that the best you can do?
- Monk episode "Mr. Monk Fights City Hall"
Adrian Monk: Ok, fine. His name is Doctor...Door.
Harold Krenshaw: Doctor Door? Is that the best you can do? I suppose if we were standing by that alarm you would've said Doctor Bell.
- (His name actually is Doctor Bell.)
- Married... with Children episode "Buck the Stud"
Peggy Bundy: [off-screen, implying they're having sex] Come on, Al. Is that the best you can do?
- Red Dwarf episode "Thanks for the Memory"
Lister: What time is it?
Rimmer: [drunkenly crawls over to the alarm clock] Saturday.
Lister: Is that the best you can do?
Rimmer: There are some numbers next to it but they could be anything.
- Johnny Ringo episode "The Assassins" (1960)
Johnny Ringo: Go ahead, Chet. Go ahead and draw!
Chet Tomstedter: Sure. I shoot an unarmed man and you and that fancy shot kid gun me down for murder legal. Is that the best you can do, Ringo?
- Smallville episode "Exposed". Jonathan Kent, "Is that the best you got?" variant.
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, "Changing of the Zords"
Tommy: Is that the best you can do?
Lord Zedd: You're going to be sorry you said that!
- Power Rangers S.P.D.: Doggie Cruger, after he cuts his way through more than half of a 100-mook army without breaking a sweat. "Is this all you've got, Benaag?"
- Saying this line is often Tempting Fate in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Warren: Is that all ya got? (archway collapses on top of him)
- In "Blood Ties" Physical God Glory says about the Scoobies efforts to take her down, "Is that the best you little crap-gnats can muster?" Willow and Tara promptly teleport Glory several hundred feet above Sunnydale.
- In "Seeing Red" Buffy knocks Warren into a stone archway. He gets up unharmed due to his Nigh-Invulnerability.
- Deadliest Catch
Cornelia Marie Crewmember: Is that all you got?
[A few minutes later, a rogue wave washes over the aforementioned boat's deck]
Mike Rowe: It's not wise to taunt the Bering Sea.
- Accidental subversion: Christopher Lee appeared on the 1950s live BBC show Kaleidoscope as a police officer scolding an underling for not handling an investigation well. Unfortunately, the poor actor playing the underling had just let loose a very audible fart on scene, making the line "Is that the best you can do?" unintentionally hilarious — especially since, as it turned out, it wasn't. To quote Sir Christopher, "He must have been filled with the four winds of heaven."
- Destroy the Godmodder:
- The godmodder does this a lot. What makes it worse is that it often ends up being justified.
- Other entities with plot-significant roles will do this too when players try to insta-kill them.
- "That all you got, George?" Muhammad Ali said this to George Foreman in round 8 of the Rumble In the Jungle, where Ali famously used the rope-a-dope strategy to conserve his own energy while George Foreman used up all of his. Foreman realized at this point that he was in trouble; shortly after, Ali knocked him out.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled (2009): Leatherhead
- In Baten Kaitos, a few characters (usually Kalas or Xelha) say something like this whenever they successfully block an attack.
- Falco, in Sector Y, if you can't hold off all the one-shots says exactly this. Enjoy not going to Aquas.
- In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Solidus will sometimes say this if he lands a blow.
- This is part of Kai Leng's Boss Banter in Mass Effect 3.
Leng: Is that the best you can do?Shepard: How are the legs? Getting tired?
- In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, if an alien misses one of your soldiers, he/she might react by saying "That all you've got?". Players will likely fear the phrase tempting the Random Number God.
- Kingdom Hearts II has the Master Control Program say this as part of his Boss Banter.
"IS THAT THE BEST A USER CAN DO?"
- Crisis Core - Sephiroth is sparring with Genesis and Angeal during a flashback. He spends a few seconds fending them both off with no effort, then asks Angeal if that's the best he can do.
- Atlas Reactor: This is Rask's and Titus' general attitudes towards being attacked.
Rask: COME ON! HIT HARDER!Titus: ...Is that all you've got?
- Pulled off once with panache in a Global Guardians story. A mook, trying to take out the Nigh Invulnerable Flying Brick superhero Stone, slams into the hero with a fully loaded tractor-trailer.
Stone: [dusts his shoulder off and looks at the driver] "That all you got?"
- In the Dragon Ball Z Abridged Cooler 2 special this is played for laughs when Cooler is choking Goku.
Cooler: My god you take an eternity to choke.
Goku: [strangling] Is... that all you've got?
Cooler: As a matter of fact... [chokes him harder]
Goku: Regret, regret!
- The Ben 10 episode "Last Laugh". Frightwig to Ben: "Is that all you've got?" Never a good question to ask a superhero.
- Captain Planet and the Planeteers episode "A Creep from the Deep":
Wheeler: We're gonna try to tickle the clam open? Is that the best you can do?
- Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, "Johnny Storm and the Potion of Fire": a Brainwashed Johnny Storm.
- In Martin Mystery, when the gang is fighting a really evil baddie, Martin dodges a really nasty fireball.
Martin: Is that the best you've got?! [Quietly] Because that was pretty good.
- The Penguins of Madagascar, "Crown Fools":
King Rat: That's the best you got? Bird, that is some weak sauce!
- Teen Titans: "Robin, is that the best you can do?"
- Spoofed in the Halloween episode of The Simpsons where Groundskeeper Willie is killed off in every story. During "The Shinning", he comes running into the house after Homer goes crazy.
"Alright, loony! Show me what you've got!" [Homer sneaks up behind him and axes him in the back] "Ach! Is that the best you can do?" [dies]
- Transformers Animated, "Mission Accomplished"
"Is that the best you could do, Starscream? And to think, you actually believed you could take over as leader of the Decepticons." [Powers up fusion cannon] "You couldn't lead a parade." [Va-voom]
- Gargoyles, Most episodes with Macbeth
"You'll have to do better than that!"
- Static Shock
John Stewart: That all you got, kid?!Static: [nervously] Unfortunately... Yes!!
- In the two-part "A League of their Own" crossover with the Justice League the showdown between a Brainiac (who was using mind-control circuity on the League) -controlled John Stewart (who was the last of the Leaguers yet to be freed) where Static just tossed all he had at John who'd had his energy shields up:
- Which has a Big Damn Heroes by the freed Leaguers a moment afterwards when John's felled by Hawkgirl's mace.
Hawkgirl: You can remove the circuitry now, kid.Static: [undoes the circuitry] Is he okay? [John groans as he comes to.]Hawkgirl: Yeah, that was just a tap.
- The Heckle and Jeckle cartoon "Log Rollers" has Heckle taunting Powerful Pierre:
Heckle: You're not so tough, chum. You're muscle-bound. Why you couldn't punch your way out of a paper bag.
[Pierre punches Heckle in the face] Ha-ha! What'd I tell ya? I didn't even feel it!
[Suddenly goes catatonic and falls unconscious]
- This happens at the beginning of Book 4 of The Legend of Korra where Korra asks an earthbender she's fighting with if throwing a few rocks in her general direction is all she's got. Cue Korra getting her ass kicked.