Lets Play / Bob Lennon
"Bob Lennon, Bob Lennon, he's a Pyro-Barbarian
Slaughtering, shredding, throughout his chopper
With the lovely Lydia, his faithful huscarl
Bob Lennon, Bob Lennon, has in him the power!!"
— Lyrics of his theme song
A famous French YouTube Let's Player
. Mostly known for his (now 400 episodes-long
playthrough, where he fully exhibits his Large Ham
persona as his "Pyro
Works along with TheFantasio974
, another French YouTuber, known for his Minecraft
videos; on their channel: FantaBobGames
Also has a Recap page
and a Characters page
Tropes Associated with Bob Lennon:
- Accidental Aiming Skills: In the 140th episode of the Skyrim playthrough, he was yet again horsing around with the Skull, and then threw it randomly behind him. He landed in a pot on top of a shelf.
- Action Fashionista: During the Saints Row III and IV playthroughs, he regularly changes his clothes; he prepares them before shooting the videos, and has teased most of their names. We have so far Wop Lennon, Detective Lennon, Nudist Ninja Lennon, Classic Lennon, Pirate Lennon, Biker Lennon, Super Lennon, Neo Lennon, Lounge Lennon, Casual Lennon, Full Throttle Lennon, Knight Lennon, Pilot Lennon, Pimp Lennon, Samurai Lennon, Power Ranger Lennon, Cardinal Lennon, Marty Lennon, Iron Bob, HD Skin Lennon, '60 Lennon, Swag Lennon, SWAT Lennon, Ninja Lennon, Top Lennon, Noir Lennon, Karate Lennon, Bob Fett, Scum Lennon and Xmas Bob.
- The Ahnold: His Skyrim character was deliberately made to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger, or rather Conan.
- The Archer: At the beginning of Skyrim, he really sucked at archery because of bad aim, bad luck and more importantly, the fact that he had barely leveled his archery skill and plays in high difficulties. Nowadays, he can headshot a guy in the dark with splendid killcams (particularly in episode 200)
- Ascended Extra : He was originaly a guest in Fanta's show as the mayor of Azur (a Minecraft French server). They really got along.
- An Axe to Grind: When he started playing Skyrim, it didn't take much time before he chose battleaxes as his favorite type of weapon, although he uses two-handed swords more often as of now.
- Badass Longcoat: Bob himself wears a red, royal knight/pirate-like one when he shows up at conventions where he holds panels, and gave the same kind of outfit to his Minecraft avatar.
- Badass Spaniard: How he portrays Sebestian Castellanos in his The Evil Within playthrough, not that Sebastian isn't already badass by himself, but Bob gives him a Large Ham personality, a stereotypical spanish accent, and imitates a flamenco guitar riff everytime he does/says something badass.
- His character in Dragon's Dogma channels Sebastian's personnality when he becomes "The Mask" and sneaks around the Duke's castle in borderline BDSM gear to meet with Aelinor.
- Berserk Button: He really doesn't like The Empire in his Skyrim playthrough, so when the song Bob's just asked Sven, the Riverwood bard to sing turns out to be about the Imperials... Bob's reaction is quite explosive.
- BFS: With his various mods, he manages to craft himself Conan's very sword, and doesn't hesitate to use it, even though Battleaxes are still his favorite weapons.
- Blatant Lies: In-Universe. During a quest, he dismantled a skooma cartel, and then take all the drugs (in order to offer them to Kharjo). Then he makes his report to the jarl:
Jarl: Did you find anything interesting in this warehouse?
Bob: I discovered skooma's root. Unfortunately, impossible to find a single drop. Everything was gone, including the 59.4 kg of moon sugar. Weird. Strange.
- Blood Knight: He has tendencies to just kill everything around him when provoked, even his own allies during missions along the Stormcloaks.
- Boom, Headshot: Although Bob usually prefers big weapons/guns and fighting head-on, nothing stops him from sniping enemies down with bows or sniper rifles whenever it's a preferable strategical choice.
[[Disney/Pocahontas Open your two eyes...]] *headshots a zombie manning a turret* *La Marseillaise
starts playing while Bob cheers himself and confetti falls down over the screen.*
- The Cameo:
- In several Joueur du Grenier episodes:
- As himself, or rather as a "useless cameo", in the Road Runner/Taz-Mania review. He's asked to testify about how bad these games are, and responds by making a shocked face and shooting himself in the head.
- A background appearance at the end of Anti Terror Force review, where he is dancing along with JDG, Seb, Doug Walker, Sad Panda, Benzaie and Sparadrap's actor from Noob.
- In the episode about sport cartoons and animes, as the French Canadian voice of Sandrine the alien hatstand.
- In the second FAQ, as a clown entertaining Call of Duty fans.
- In the second episode about bad fighting game, he appeared as one of the "playable character" with his own ending cutscene (with a chiptuned Skyrim theme). The original video was supposed to show him return to Skyrim and defeat a dragon with a new shout he learned during his journey: Shor-Yu-Ken!
- He appears, along with Fanta, in an episode of Noob, where they fight against JDG and Seb.
- They both briefly appear in an official Mojang video covering the MineCon 2012 in Paris. Here is a screenshot.◊
- In Hard Corner: The Movie as the voice of Alpha Man, a parody of He-Man.
- A serious and solemn appearance, during a minute of silence along with many other french youtubers at the end of Super Crayon, a special video made by Mathieu Sommet in homage to the Charlie Hebdo victims.
- "Hi, I'm Bob Lennon! Haha!": Opening catchphrase he says everytime he appears in any video. Affectionate Parody of Troy McLure (he even used to say after this "You may remember me from [silly title X] and [silly title Y].").
- "That could happen": Usually after a fail.
- "Pou-pidou-pidou": Used as a transition. Inspired by the Super Mario Bros. 2 failure jingle.
- "My pleasure!": Used to thank Fanta and the audience at the end of a video.
- "Bulia!!": Main battle scream. Works also with "Kabla!!".
- "Grudu": Doesn't mean anything in particularnote , but is frequently used as some kind of grunt whenever his character is just acting tough. Or sometimes as a substitute to "Hello".
- "Cuir, cuir, cuir, moustache!" (Leather, leather, leather, mustache): Used anytime anything exceedingly manly happens, especially if it has homosexual overtones, such as, well, a manly man wearing leather. Currently replaced by a running gag about pinching one's nipples for "ninja training".
- "Haaaan!": He says it in a mocking tone every time he commits antics, like one would say "like a boss" or This is for Emphasis, Bitch!.
"Stealing their mammoth cheese, haaan! *throws a fire spell at a mammoth* Burning their hair, haaan!"
- "Blablablargh!": When he drowns, is covered with an unknown substance or is hurt by a powerful and/or unexpected attack.
- "Fuck the police!": Bob's way to say "screw the rules" (though he has nothing against the police or anything). Used in a lot of different contexts.
- "I love my job!": Whenever he gets to brutally kill foes or annoying NPCs without consequences.
- "This is completely muteki!": Every time he comes across, or even crafts a ridiculously powerful item. Has many variants, such as "mutepic", "permacheat" and "permacrack".
- "Fabulouuuus!": When he meets something or someone highly effeminate, like Sergei in Asura's Wrath.
- In his The Evil Within playthrough, his interpretation of Sebastian Castellanos has a couple, including his own name followed by a flamenco riff, "Police!" whenever he enters a room by kicking a door and "Olé! Hola." following pretty much any other action. Complete with exaggerated spanish accent.
- Composite Character: His Minecraft avatar is a Guybrush Threepwood skin he found on the net with an armor set from the Painterly Pack and a golden phoenix painted on his back.
- Content Warnings: Bob is partially known for his attitude involving a lot of swearing. He has receive some complaints from mothers about it, but answers that it is their responsibility to control what their children are watching, highlighting that he is partly playing M-rated games.
- Cuteness Proximity: His fondness for cats makes him d'aaaaw and squee all over the place whenever he sees Khajiits. When Kharjo is his companion, he occasionally notes how cute he is, even when wearing heavy armor, a sword and a shield.
- He eventually loses it when he comes across a Khajiit orphan, courtesy of a mod.
- He also spent around half of his Shelter 2 video gushing about the lynx cuteness.
- Death from Above: Call Lightning and Meteor, two mod spells he uses in the 300th special where he goes through the entire Mage Guild. Accordingly, they only work when he's outside.
- Dramatic Deadpan: Especially used to tell the horrible truth of life to children.
- Also used to scare Biloulette when she plays Amnesia.
- Failed a Spot Check: In the first episodes of the Playthrough, Bob seems to miss or downright ignore a lot details, leading him to die a few stupid deaths, get lost when the right path was right in front of his face, or taking an immense amount of time looking for clues everywhere for a puzzle, when he's got a book that basically tells him what to do.
- Nowadays, he still seems unable to grasp how the on-screen compass/radar works. He has no trouble noticing the red dots indicating enemies, but he apparently cannot see the destination markers, often running a few hundred meters in what he believes to be the right direction, while the marker isn't even remotely close to the center.
- Flaming Skulls: One of the mod spells he uses in the 300th special, where he does the entire Winterhold Mage Academy's questline; allows him to throw exploding, burning skulls everywhere.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Mostly in Tenchu Z, but also in Skyrim and Saints Row III (in fact everytime there is a Character Customization menu). He call himself in these occasions the "Nudist Ninja", stating that a real ninja doesn't need any clothes (because nobody can see him) and it also is the supreme humiliation for his opponents.
"Just imagine you're a guard, and you know there's a deadly ninja assassin who's coming for you. You hear a sound behind you, you turn back... nothing. But you know he's there somewhere, and you heard the rumor this guy is a nudist, but you can't verify it. And the only way you could discover the truth is the time your decapitated head rolling on the ground sees him, and your final though is 'My God! It really was a nudist'."
- Fun with Acronyms: in Asura's Wrath when he receives an "A" rank for his time then a "S" for the two others ranks. He is disapointed if he doesn't manage to have it, even when he gets a perfect "SSS" score.
- He also likes to invent the meaning of the BSAA acronym, which usually results with something like "Bullshit Super Augmentée Artificiellement" (Super Artificially Increased Bullshit, which make reference to Chris's sudden musculature).
- Game Mod: He mods his game quite a lot, even though he initally promised to play it normally, in order to show what the game actually is like to people who don't have it. His game is currently heavily modded graphically, has various tweaks and contains a lot more items than normal.
- Glass Cannon: His love for "barbarian" armor, as in fur and leather, makes him very vulnerable since these are some of the weakest types of armor. He still carries a big axe and likes to cast fire spells around.
- Glorious Mother Russia: invoked in H.A.W.X. 2.
- Gratuitous English: By inserting English words in his French phrases, such as "full", "bullshit" and "doom". He has a decent English level, being able to have a perfectly understandable conversation with other English speakers, but sometimes uses it a bit off context.
- Heroic Sacrifice: At one point in Fanta and Bob's playthrough of Waka, a Minecraft map, they find a house with an enchanting table inside, but it's also filled to the brim with creepers. Fanta opts to open the door and take them out one by one, but Bob decides that since he has almost no life left, he'll just charge inside and cause all the creepers to blow up away from the table. Of course, it's a case of Death Is a Slap on the Wrist since Bob respawns a little bit further and can easily come back to pick up his dropped items.
- Heroic Second Wind: It almost always happens when he battles against Fanta in HearthStone.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With TheFantasio974, who first spotlighted him on his show after he met him on Minefield then ask him to join his channel as permanent co-host.
- Lampshaded many times, especially when they improvise Romulo and Juliano, a Romeo and Juliet gay parody imagined by Bob when visiting Kigyar 69's server theater.
- Ironic Echo: A lot of his subscribers note how he initially said he would just do the main quest and be over with it, but is still exploring all the secondary questlines even at the 150 episodes mark.
- Imaginary Friend: The Skull, a silly poltergeist who makes fun of Bob during his Skyrim playthrough.
"KAKAKAKA!! Hi Lennon! I'm here, Lennon!"
- Kid Sidekick: Nanette, a.k.a Mini-Lennon, his 13 years old sister in law.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Bob has two cats IRL, named Poupette and Wilfrid. His fondness for Poupette also create the term "poupet" he uses to designate cat-like creatures in video games, like khajits. Also see Cuteness Proximity.
- His immoderate love for cats makes him more forgiving toward them, sometime even sparing enemy khajits.
- Made of Indestructium: How the buildings and maps Bob encounters have to be. If they can resist to fire, lava and TNT, they are labeled "Bob Lennon-proof".
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Of course, considering the game he's playing. That and all the mods he installed to change/enhance his shouts. He has a great tendency to Fus Ro Dah people away when they annoy him and he can't afford to go on a killing spree. In his latest episodes, he made the Fus Ro Dah ridiculously powerful and can pretty much scream his victims into orbit when there isn't a ceiling in the way. Becomes hilarious when he blasts Kodlak Whitemane into the sky for criticising his sword, and sees him pinball out of sight when hitting the border of the skybox.
- Mr. Exposition: As a Nice Guy who played most of the previous The Elder Scrolls games, Bob regulary explains to his audience the background of characters, countries and religions.
- In fact, he takes time explaining the backgrounds of the bigger, more open-ended games he plays so everyone understands what's going on, like The Witcher or Dragon's Dogma.
- Naked People Are Funny: Certainly seems to think so.
- The Nicknamer: Often decides to call some characters completely new names if he deems them more appropriate/funnier than their real name. Like officer Juli Kidman, who he calls Nicole.
- Ninja: He tries to be one during the whole five and a half hours of his 200th episode special, since he spends the entire session going throught the Dark Brotherhood's questline. He isn't exactly good at being sneaky, but still manages some antics with his gear mods and overpowered enchantments, effectively turning him into a poor man's (and hilarious) Ryu Hayabusa.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Dwemer Mechanical Dragons and Ghost Dwarves (well, Dwemers), courtesy to mods, and seen in their full threatening glory in the 300th special, especially when three mech dragons attack Bob when he tries to find the entrance of a Dwemer dungeon.
- Offwith His Head: Caused a severe earache among the viewers of the first episode Bob beheads someone.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Bob Lennon is just a pseudonym, and everyone calls him Bob in all situations.
- Only in It for the Money: Seemingly played straight but averted in one episode of his Mirror of Fate playthrough when he say that he won't upload any video of Lords of Shadow 2 because they wouldn't bring him any money. He immediately clarifies that it was also the case for the last three Lords of Shadow videos and that he'll find a way to make the audience see him play Lords of Shadow 2 by a livestream if he can. He also add that the main reason he won't upload video of this game is because he don't want to risk their account closed.
- Playing with Fire: While his character is not exactly a mage, he's still a Pyro-Barbarian. His magic generally sucks against anything else than low-level bandits or wild animals, tough. On others games, he's very fond of Molotov cocktails or anything fire-related.
- Power Armor: The "Plan B", a modded Dwemer armor set with overpowered enchantments, complete with steam exhausts and a 'steampunk electric shotgun'. Bob uses it in the 300th special when his magic isn't enough to get him through a horde of powerful modded enemies in Dwemer Ruins.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: He makes an almost unending chain of over the top reactions, warcries and improvised jokes about the game.
- Rapid-Fire "No!": During Leon's campaign in Resident Evil 6, Bob (as Helena) got caught by a monster who tried to push him in a grinder. After an epic QTE battle, he fight off the monster, but did not expect a second QTE. Bloody ending ensues.
- Robosexual: Tends to spend a lot of time seducing CID in Saints Row IV. In fact, he pretty much has a go with him every time he gets back on the ship, and has been serviced by him much more often than all the other romanceable characters put together.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni; Red to Fanta's blue. Bonus for them wearing these colors in almost all of their video together.
- Robot Me: Bot Lennon, a robotic version of himself used in a trailer for the Minefield server.
- Running Gag: On Dying Light, he repeats from time to time Crane's "I'm not lazy".
- The Scrappy: Calder, In-Universe. He really doesn't like this guy and never really gave him a chance to be useful, only taking him along once for fun, as well as Lydia and Kharjo, courtesy of a mod allowing him to have more than one ally at a time. Nowadays, he just sits in his home at Lakeview Manor, posing as a robot butler in Dwemer Armor renamed C4LD3R Unit.
- Screaming Warrior: Bob tends to up his voice a lot during fights.
- Shout-Out: Various, though he likes to quote his fellow French YouTubers (who he was a fan in the first place). See also Wrongfully Attributed (that happens).
- Signature Laugh: Kinda sounds like a choking duck.
- So Bad, It's Good : In-Universe: He certainly has this opinion about the Rambo animated series. During a livestream, while waiting for a download to be completed, he started playing some excerpts and commenting them. Half of the time, he was laughing his ass off over the crazy things happening in the cartoon. See it here.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: During a relatively calm mission in H.A.W.X. 2, he played Singin' in the Rain and Batman singing Am I Blue.
- Strong Family Resemblance: With his sister's personality, so much that when they shoot a video together it's almost if there are two Bob Lennon on the same room!
- Take a Third Option: During the quest "In My Time of Need", the player has to side with Saadia or with the Alik'rs, with no clues of who is telling the truth. Bob kills both Saadia and Kematu (the Alik'r's leader).
- This caused a bug which makes remain the two Alik'r warriors which gave the quest to Bob. They particularly annoy him, who cannot kill them without alerting the guards.
- Tempting Fate: During the final battle in FTL.
Bob: Nothing's gonna get through my shields, nothing!
*the enemy ship launches a volley of lasers, half of them destroy Bob's shields and the other half damages various parts of his ship*
Bob: Aaaaah! Everything got through! My shields!
- That's What She Said: When Fanta (or anyone) makes himself an easy target. He adds "to you" or "to me" depending of the context (what Minecraft, which includes digging, offers a lot).
- Though Bob doesn't really use this joke anymore. It is even Fanta who says that now.
- Theme Tune: During his Skyrim playthrough, he improvised a song on the Dovahkiin theme. The popularity of this song eventually motived Bob to do an extended music video with extracts from his playtrough. The video received more than 2 millions views in two years.
- He later sang Roi du Métal (King of Metal) during his Brütal Legend playthrough, over Judas Priest's Leather Rebel.
- Voice of Dramatic: He sometimes does trailers for his own playthroughs, Don LaFontaine style.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Dwemer underground ruins. Bob isn't exactly afraid of them, but really dislikes them for how claustrophobic they feel.
Isran: As far as I know, [Sorine] was looking for ancient Dwemer ruins.
- Wildlife Commentary Spoof: In the episode 248 of Skyrim, he arrived at the top of a hill and spotted some monsters. He started to describe the scene with a deep voice like if it was a National Geographic documentary.
"The horker lives in his environnment of choice: the ice. Sometimes, you can see it wallow into dung, seeking for remains of brave adventurers who perished for his meal. Occasionally, you can meet a flying fire salamander in this land of ice. [...] We decided to name her Sandra. Sandra is one and half month pregnant; she will soon give birth to her children. [...]
That's the kind of stuff you watch late on Arte when you're drunk or dizzy. 'Oh! The Salamander is in labour! Her child is nammed Kevin!'."
- He also sometimes comment his own actions like if someone was making a documentary about a "wild Bob Lennon" or a "wild kikoo".
"'Ololol!' - The kikoo just finds a prey. He could eventually reproduce. - 'TROLL! 4chan! Reddit! Ololol!'."
- Would Hit a Girl: Since female opponents are pretty much as frequent as men, he doesn't really care. But he also has no qualms about Fus Ro Dah-ing his wife.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Since he made weaponless combat more reliable with the help of mods, and also made executions more frequent, he takes great pleasure in body slamming/german suplexing fools.
- Wrongfully Attributed: Bob is oftenly quoting some of his favorite Internet celebrities, including StateAlchemist, creator of Saint Seiya Abridged. But being now more popular than this abridged series, some of the quotes and voice impersonations he does are attributed to him, even causing some ignorants Bob fans to accuse StateAlchemist of plagiarism. But State is not mad at Bob for this, and even made a special video for his anniversary.
"No! Not the infernal and germs-filled depths of oblivion!"