Subspecies is a series of four horror movies directed by Ted Nicolau, produced by Full Moon Features
and starring Anders Hove as vampire Radu Vladislas.
The series consists of
- Subspecies (1991)
- Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993)
- Bloodlust: Subspecies III (1994)
- Bloodstorm: Subspecies IV (1998)
It had a spinoff, made in 1997, called The Vampire Journals
The story involves young Michelle, who came to Romania with her friend Lilian to study its folklore and ends up involved in a war between ancient vampires for the possession of the Blood Stone, a stone which drips the blood of saints.
- Action Girl: Michelle's pretty badass in the first movie.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: The vampire Ash, one of Radu's previous fledglings, portrays himself as a sophisticated aristicrat who enjoys the finer things in life.
- The Artifact: The titular Subspecies... do next to nothing in the series. They're really only there because Full Moon productions always have at least one stop-motion element (usually so they can sell models and action figures of them).
- Artifact Title: The 'Subspecies' title in Bloodstorm, the only movie not to have the little creatures.
- Back For The Undead: Lt. Marin comes back as a vampire in Bloodstorm after apparently having been killed in Bloodlust
- Bloody Hilarious: Radu seems to think his killing of Stefan is this in Bloodstone. Bob The CIA Guy and Radu himself's deaths in Bloodlust fit the bill better.
- Breaking and Bloodsucking: In the original, Radu breaks into the girls' room to feed on Lilian's cut arm and he drains her over a few nights.
- Cain and Abel: Radu and his half-vampire brother Stephan from the first film.
- Contrived Coincidence: In Bloodstone, the theater Michelle hides in has a glass coffin backstage. Why? Is this theater a hostel for vampires?
- Creepy Long Fingers: Radu.
- Dhampyr: Both Stefan and Radu; Stefan is half-human, while Radu is the result of his father being magically seduced by a hag (of the D&D nonhuman variety).
- Downer Ending: Michelle will sure live forever, but she's a vampire so she will have to quell her killer instincts, her sister and friends are dead, she is vulnerable to sunlight and she's all alone in a foreign country with nary a way of going back to the US. At least she has the bloodstone to feed upon instead of mortals and Radu is confirmed to be dead.
- Dull Surprise: Radu.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Radu. Subverted in Bloodlust when he kills her to prove his love for Michelle.
- Eviler than Thou: Radu is regarded as an insane monster even by other evil vampires. Whereas Ash and his vampires maintain a semblance of humanity more like the sophisticated Bela Lugosi type vampires Radu is a horror right out of the Dark Ages.
- Expy: Maria, the leading girl in Bloodstorm seems to be one for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Fertile Blood: The titular imps are tiny demon looking homunculi spawned from the blood of the vampire Radu.
- Fully Absorbed Finale: The Vampire Journals TV series got it's ending in Subspecies IV.
- Hybrid Monster: Radu is some kind of half-vampire, half-hag thing.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: All of the vampires try to kill the ones who made them. Radu killed his father. Michelle tries to kill him. Ash wishes to kill Radu. Zachery killed his sire and wants to kill Ash for making her.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Radu's apparent motivation for many of his vile actions is to gain Michelle's love.
- Immediate Sequel: All of the sequels
- Killed Off for Real: It seems like every movie tries to kill off Radu in a horrible fashion but it didn't stick until the fourth film.
- Looks Like Orlok: Radu, increasingly so with each movie.
- Losing Your Head: Radu in part 2.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Radu, oh so very much.
- MacGuffin: The Blood Stone, even in the sequel named after it.
- Negative Continuity: The vampires' ability to walk in the sunlight appears only in the first movie. The backstory on how Radu was sired changes a couple of times throughout the films.
- Neutral Female: Michelle is mostly this in the sequels. She does kill Radu in Bloodstone, but as for the rest of the time...
- Not Quite Dead: Radu is seemingly killed several times, only to somehow survive. In the last they decapitate him (again) but take his head far away from his body and stick it on a post in the sunlight, which seems to do the trick.
- Once an Episode: Radu kills a family member of his and a man helping the main character(s) dies in each of the first three movies.
- Our Vampires Are Different: In the first movie, the vampires walk in plain sunlight.
- Non-evil vampires can walk in sunlight such as Stefan, it also why he looks the most human unlike Radu who follows the path of evil and looks deformed. Michelle is sorta half in half. As she drinks blood from humans, she shuned by the sunlight but isn't really evil since its more of a survival thing and half the time is mostly forced on her.
- Radu himself thanks to his mixed heritage though he is always referred to as a vampire. He can create the miniture subspecies creatures from drops of his blood and return from deaths that would kill regular vampires. At the same time he is vulnerable to all of the conventional vampire weaknesses.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Radu is prone to throwing tantrums when things do not go his way and often seeks the approval of his mother or Michelle like a little kid.
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Stefan in Bloodstone, Radu's mother in Bloodlust, Becky, Mel, Random Victim Girl, Lt. Marin (sort of) & Radu in Bloodstorm.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Bob from Bloodstone is one for the custodian from the first movie.
- Too Dumb to Live: Michelle, Lt. Marin and Radu.
- Transhuman Treachery: Mara and Lillian in the first movie after they're turned into vampires. They become completely subservient to Radu and help capture Michelle to become his latest servant, even pinning her down on the bed and laughing as he prepares to bite her. Michelle, after she's turned, flip flops on this trope through the series.
- Trivial Title: The series is named after a small race of creatures who barely factor into the movies.
- The Unfavourite: Radu. By both parents.
- Vampires Are Rich: Radu inherits a fortune in treasure upon killing his father and his other fledgling Ash has built another fortune in Budapest over the centuries.
- Vampire Monarch: Radu's father was the vampire king for the local vampires around Romania and forbid the killing of humans. He banished Radu for refusing to obey this edict. The opening of the first film has the king old and dying with Radu returning to finish him off.
- Vampires Own Night Clubs: Ash own some sort of night club which is where a lot of his income comes from.