Fan Fic: The Newest Challenger
The Newest Challenger
is a Naruto
Crossover by Kenchi618
, of Shinobi of the High Seas
After Naruto and Sasuke's climactic battle at the Valley of The End, Naruto wakes up in a country he's never heard of, to people talking in a language he's never heard either. He is in the United States. With no one having any idea where the Elemental Nations are and his only language being Japanese, Naruto is deported to Japan, and is forced to go to school. Specifically Aohura High School
, where he befriends some interesting characters: Sakura, Karin, Batsu, and others. However, when he begins to become established as a powerful fighter, events unfold that drag him into the eyes of Shadoloo and others interested in his powers...
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Asleep in Class: Naruto does this constantly, as once class begins he is never awake for lectures by choice. Sakura is guilty of this only once after a regional fighting tournament and promptly gets her face doodled on by Ibuki, Kei, and Naruto.
- Attack! Attack... Retreat! Retreat!: In India, Naruto and Batsu wreck a slew of S.I.N. mooks to create a diversion and cockily call out the bad guys to bring their big guns forth.
- Action Girl: Sakura, Karin, Ibuki, Chun-Li and Cammy just for a few.
- Affably Evil: Compared to Bison, Seth is downright civilized.
- A God Am I: Bison has this mindset, and refuses to shut up about it no matter how many times the heroes put him in his place.
- Vega develops this mindset (though he was already a narcissist) when he is injected with the small amount of Kurama's chakra that Shadaloo managed to obtain. He's quickly proven wrong.
- And of course there's Seth. Like Bison, he constantly insists that he is superior to everybody and everything in every possible way. Like Vega, however, his god complex vanishes when he's defeated.
- Akuma claims that facing him in a battle to the death is "god-worthy." He's dead wrong, of course.
- Asshole Victim: Vega.
- Badass Grandpa: Gen to the extent that Ibuki and even Sasuke are wary of him, and he has leukemia.
- Gouken as well, able to stop Satsui no Hadou Sakura without breaking a sweat or hurting her.
- Badass in Distress: Karin was abducted by SIN in Chapter 46.
- Badass Normal: Karin isn't a ninja, or a superpowered clone of an all-powerful overlord, and she lacks the ability to use ki-based attacks such as Hadoken. Actually, she's just a regular female fighter for most intents and purposes. Still, she's able to easily keep up with the other more special female fighters with nothing but pure martial arts skill.
- She was actually the catalyst in helping the other girls gain the advantage over Juri Han even for just a moment in that ill-fated battle.
- Bald of Evil: Seth.
- Berserk Button: Do not threaten Naruto's safety or try to seduce him. Dark Sakura will make you regret it.
- Naruto will thoroughly kick your ass if you threaten his friends or loved ones.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sakura's a perfectly kind girl that can tolerate basically anything and find empathy with most people, even villains... until Juri finally finds her Berserk Button. Then it's way easier. Just ask Ibuki.
- Big Damn Gunship: Occurs twice in the story for the villains instead of the heroes. Once during the climax battle with Mad Gear when a helicopter arrives and doggedly tries to kill Naruto inside of a skyscraper, a second time when Juri Han is about to face Naruto and Sasuke after already successfully fighting off three other opponents.
- Big Damn Villains: Akuma kills Bison when he tries to interfere with Naruto and Sasuke's match.
- Then again, it's debatable whether or not they actually would have needed his help, since Bison was in a weaker body and Naruto was currently in his three-tailed mode, a form that Bison was unable to beat even when he was in a stronger body, and he was in control of it.
- Big Fancy House: Belongs to Karin, natch.
- Blasphemous Boast: Dark Sakura, being the Yandere she is, is not shy of claiming not even God will take Naruto from her. The first time she tells this to Naruto himself, the second, during a fight with Akuma
"You're mine. You know you're mine. And I'll move whoever I have to out of my way to keep you. No girl will take you away from me. If God reaches a hand down to pluck you back to wherever you came from… I'll tear God's arm off with this power."
"I think I've said this once before to someone else, but if I haven't I'll say it anyway, if God himself ever reached down to try and take Naruto away from us, GOD'LL BE MISSING AN ARM!"
- Akuma claiming that fighting him in a battle to the death is "god-worthy" would certainly count, especially since it's not true.
- Bodyguard Crush: Karin on Naruto as it's his most constant odd job she uses him for.
- Body Surf: Bison. He actually has a team of scientists growing new bodies for him to switch to in the future.
- Book Dumb: Averted. Naruto actually has pretty respectable grades to the point where Sakura wonders why he doesn't consider going to college. Maybe because he uses the old Kage Bunshin trick to cheat his way through all of his classes?
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Cammy, she gets better.
- Break the Haughty: Seth spends a lot of time boasting and being condescending towards others. Then Naruto rips out his Tandem Engine and his previously supremely arrogant demeanor is replaced with complete panic and fear.
- Averted with Bison. Even after getting his ass kicked by Naruto and Cammy, he still remains as arrogant as ever.
- Brick Joke: On the second morning of the Second World Warrior Tournament, Chun-Li wakes Naruto up the night after he first has sex with Cammy only to poke fun at him once she sees a clear white stain on the floor. The next chapter during Naruto's final round battle with Sasuke it quickly escalates and they wind up fighting indoors through rooms. As he begins gaining the advantage, guess what Sasuke slips on?
- Butt Monkey: Dan.
- Car Fu: Batsu and Sakura try it on Seth.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Bison
- Can't Catch Up: Sakura feels this way for a bit, but Naruto naturally talks her out of it.
- Catch Phrase: Naruto - Usually some variant of, "Best Ninja in the World!"
- Childish Pillow Fight: After an irritated Naruto (along with Batsu) trashes Dan's dojo, Sakura chews him out for getting distracted and allowing a travel agency to close after assuring her that he could handle setting up their travel plans for their Spring Break. He cuts her off mid-tirade with a pillow to the face and the situation breaks down from there.
- City of Weirdos: Aohura City. Things ranging from everyday superpowered teenage street fights to large-scale planned insurrections occur in public on a daily basis. Other than the occasional stopping from the general public to view the incident, regular people usually don't care.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Dark Sakura. It comes with the territory of being a Yandere. Normal Sakura might be this too.
- Combat Commentator: During all of the tournaments.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Akuma obliterates Naruto in his Version 2 Fox Cloak, and Sasuke in his Cursed Seal Mode, both are put in comas, for a month!
- Naruto himself actually has one of these just before that fight when he's sidetracked from tailing Sasuke by Yun who doesn't see what's special about him. Naruto then proceeds to beat him in two moves and move along.
- And Karin annihilates Birdie even earlier than that in Hong Kong despite being two feet shorter and 200 pounds lighter.
- Ken worked over Adon pretty badly, beating him in three moves and calling his shot before he did it.
- Juri vs. Abel
- Six-tailed Naruto overpowers Seth so easily that the latter attempts to pull a Taking You with Me in a final act of desperation. It doesn't work, and Naruto headbutts him to death after ripping out his Tandem Engine.
- The Dark Arts: The Satsui no Hadou
- The Dark Side: Also the Satsui no Hadou
- David Versus Goliath: Happens a lot, but since the main characters are basically all teenagers getting into situations over their heads it's kind of a given.
- Deal with the Devil: Kyuubi, after the first battle against Seth, offers Naruto a quick way to gain the power he needs to win which is basically splitting control of his body with his Superpowered Evil Side so he can go up to six tails.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Naruto kicks Dan's ass in the second chapter, as does Sakura a few chapters later. He gradually winds up becoming something of a friend to the main characters, although no one really knows why.
- The same goes for E. Honda, Guile, and to a differing extent Chun Li.
- The Dragon: Several throughout the story for their respective Big Bad and the organization that goes with them.
- Vega for Bison and Shadaloo after he splices Kyuubi-charged Naruto's DNA into his cells for a powerup. This does not end well for him.
- Sodom for Rolento and Mad Gear.
- Juri for Seth and S.I.N. (Seems to be Dragon with an Agenda).
- Dying Moment of Awesome: I'd say Sagat had one hell of one. After finally getting fed up with Shadaloo and M. Bison's schemes, after the latter tried to blackmail him as well, he found out that the only reason he put up with it all (to fight Ryu in an official rematch) was not going to happen due to things beyond his control. After an on-the-spot Heel-Face Turn that involved surrendering in a tournament match with Naruto that he was winning at the time he walks out of the tournament grounds and engages Bison in battle. He went down swinging like a man with morals.
- Easy Amnesia: Cammy and Abel both suffer from it. So far, neither have recovered.
- Everyone Can See It: This happens mainly with Naruto and Sakura, though Batsu comments on Naruto and Karin too.
- Evil Is Hammy: Bison
- Evil Makeover: The Satsui no Hadou comes with one.
- Executive Suite Fight: The last battle of the Mad Gear situation... gets out of hand quickly.
- Eye Scream: How Dark Sakura ends her fight with Juri Han, plucking out the latter's Feng Shui engine. Ow.
- Failure-to-Save Murder: Naruto and Guile both feel this over Charlie's death.
- First Kiss: Karin's first was with Naruto in Chapter 26.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Sakura under the Satsui no Hadou, a.k.a. "Sunburned Sakura-chan"
- Forgiven But Not Forgotten: Sasuke's Chidori through the chest on Naruto. It's brought up by Naruto when Sasuke is first introduced to his friends, and while Naruto still remembers it he recalls it with a mere shrug of the shoulders, compared to the reaction of many of his friends, one of whom tried to attack the past perpetrator on the spot.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Naruto fights Makoto and somehow gets his hand caught up in her black belt, yanking it off and opening her gi. This does very little to actually stop her from fighting.
- Game-Breaking Injury: An injured, delirious, and brainwashed Cammy snaps Naruto's arm like a twig right before his quarterfinal round fight in the Second World Warrior Tournament.
- Girl Next Door: Sakura Kasugano.
- Glass Cannon: Akuma.
- Good Is Not Nice: Sasuke
- Groin Attack: Have you ever had a small animal attack your groin out of nowhere? In your own house? Naruto has. That wasn't even the first bad thing that happened to him that day... or the last.
- This is how Batsu manages to gain the upper-hand on Balrog and finish him off in their fight.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: Happens a lot.
- Naruto vs. Dan. For so early in the story, the sheer amount of threats and boasts thrown back and forth could reach terminal levels.
- Naruto vs. Vega
- Naruto vs. Ken
- Naruto vs. Fei Long
- Naruto vs. Dark Naruto
- Healing Spring: Naruto shared one with Ibuki during his stay in her village.
- Heroic Willpower: Ryu manages to suppress the Satsui no Hadou during his match with Ken through this.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Charlie
- How Can Santa Delier All Those Toys / The Krampus: It is revealed that upon first arriving in Aohura City and experiencing his first Christmas season, Naruto had an unhealthy, paranoid fear of Santa Claus and his many perceived powers. Considering where he comes from can you blame him?
- If You Won't, I Will: Naruto overcomes Bison and is prepared to kill him, but Bison tells him that if he does the backlash will kill Cammy and the Dolls, causing Naruto to drop his knife and hesitate. While he does, Cammy just goes ahead and stabs Bison in the chest anyway without a word.
- I Have the High Ground: The ending of the battle between Ibuki and Yang is centered around this trope.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Naruto, and Cammy share his apartment.
- It Amused Me: Though not quite at For the Evulz level, once it's clear that the bulk of Shadaloo (the source of her dark descent) is gone it's basically the primary reason why Juri Han does anything at all. Fighting, killing, even just listening to orders from her superiors, whatever. If she's not going to have fun, good luck getting her do it, because she doesn't seem to take anything seriously until people actually start fighting back.
- Large Ham: Naruto, to such an extent that he constantly and loudly referred to himself in public as "The Best Ninja in the World" and "The Ace of Aohura City," even reaching out for, and getting a high five from a random bystander during the latter.
- Karin has her moments as well... such as setting up a throne and an elevated platform in a town square just to watch a tournament final on a big-screen downtown for one.
- Bison counts too. A lot of his larger threats easily border on Narm. And then there's Vega and his flamboyant self.
- Seth as well, especially when he's trying to suck Naruto and his friends into a black hole. His accompanying rant would function as a Badass Boast if it weren't for the fact that the move was an act of desperation on his part, plus it didn't work.
- Last Girl Wins: Cammy is the last girl introduced to Naruto as a love interest, and they are the couple who...copulate.
- Averted: Cammy and Naruto don't consider themselves to be in a relationship afterwards.
- Little Miss Badass: Cammy. Constantly referenced is how small she is in comparison to everyone else, even other girls. It doesn't really matter when you're staring up at the sky with a few limbs facing the wrong way once she's done with you.
- Love Hurts: Dark Naruto makes the case to regular Naruto, Naruto naturally tells him to shove it
- Love Triangle: Averted mostly because Naruto knows he'd be the Hopeless Suitor in the situation as Sakura's obsession with Ryu mirrors Sakura's with Sasuke.
- Mark of the Beast: The Satsui no Hadou sometimes does this.
- Mistaken Nationality: How Naruto is originally placed in Japan after arriving in the Street Fighter universe to begin with.
- He was originally found in the U.S., but had no ID and spoke Japanese... so they deported him there.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Naruto and Ken's random car trip through the Southwest US Desert.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Sasuke thinks this is the best way to deal with Juri Han.
- Mythology Gag: When Guile is depressed over Charlie's death, Naruto tells him to go home and be a fucking family man.
- Near Death Experience: After Naruto's crushing defeat at Akuma's hands he wakes up a month later only to be told by Batsu that he was supposed to be dead. Apparently he actually could have been considered legally dead during this timeframe... three times.
- Noodle Incident: Dark Sakura proudly reveals to a surprised Juri that she lost her virginity to Naruto sometime ago after a training session went awry. This has never been brought up before, or even been implied. Perhaps she was lying.
- Not Hyperbole: After Ryu's fight with Naruto over abandoning Sakura for her own good, Dan (of all people) tells him that Naruto would move a mountain for the girls in his life. Ryu thinks he's exaggerating, only for Dan to show him photos of a mountain before and after Naruto fought under and in front of it: there are big chunks of it missing now, and it isn't in the same place anymore. Ryu is floored.
- Not So Different: Akuma looks down on Bison for having a god complex, fearing death, and believing that his power is unmatched. Aside from possibly fearing death, he possesses these qualities too.
- Oblivious to Love: Naruto. Justified though since his time in Team 7 (mainly with Sakura) has soured him of trying to get a girl's affection and the fact he has minor self-image issues (not helped by the xenophobia he experienced when he came to Japan).
- OOC Is Serious Business: Naruto is always boastful about being "The Best Ninja in the World". Then comes Ibuki's graduation test as a ninja
"Whether I'm stronger than you or not, it doesn't matter! You're a better ninja than me!" He shouted at her once again, fire in his eyes, "You… you deserve to graduate now more than I did when I graduated, so don't trip up now!
- Technically, Naruto being willing to throw just about anything away (Dignity, Honor, Pride...) for encouraging his friends is pretty much a Hallmark of Naruto. Boy has his priorities on his Precious People straight.
- The Patient Has Left the Building: A few hours after waking up from a month-long coma and subsequently blacking out again just from picking Cammy up off of the floor, Naruto wakes up one more time and runs away from Cammy to go do 'rehab' in Ibuki's ninja village.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Despite his job as a mercenary ninja, Naruto really doesn't do anything other than goof off with his friends and love interests and deal with the occasional situations that require him to fight. His clones handle all of his schoolwork, most of the odd jobs that he takes to pay his bills, and they even do most of the technique-based training he puts himself through. The only reason he goes to school in person (or at all period) is because Sakura comes to get him every day.
- Pitiful Worms: Bison does this a lot. Too bad for him that said worms can and have kicked his ass on a couple of occasions.
- Police Are Useless: Averted: After Mad Gears's chain of command falls apart, the JSDF takes care of the remaining Mooks.
- Averted: Chun-Li berates Naruto and Batsu over a 'simple' spar between them, declaring that after everything that had happened in the story around their town, the JSDF was almost dispatched to deal with them just in case.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Chapter 16. Naruto and Cammy to Bison after he drops the bomb of her origin on her.
Naruto:"That feeling you're feeling right now, that's anger. The feeling he's about to be feeling when we're through with him... that's gonna be pain."
- Private Military Contractors: Karin has them protecting her personal property, as does her family, the latter in gross numbers. Sadly though, they're pure Redshirt Army... unfortunately for them.
- Pro Wrestling Episode: Batsu fights giant Hugo Andore in a packed arena on cable TV inside of a steel cage in a match fraught with a Large Ham announcer in Poison, outside-of-the-ring hijinks involving the protagonist girls, and a steel chair thrown into the mix just for the hell of it.
- Pro Wrestling Is Real: The aforementioned Hugo, and the fact that early in the story, Zangief almost killed Naruto with the Ultimate Atomic Buster.
- Psycho Serum: Vega. And both Shadoloo and S.I.N. seem to be experimenting with more.
- Rasputinian Death: Bison. Seriously, what does it take to put that guy down for good? Oh, apparently Akuma.
- Recurring Dreams: Karin has one which consists of Naruto saving her from falling, followed by a kiss as a reward.
Karin: Oh, another of these falling dreams.
- Relationship Upgrade: Quite a few, but the two that stick out most notably are Naruto's with Karin and Naruto's with Cammy.
- Karin - Naruto went from being her employee to her friend, to her closest confidant, to her Bodyguard Crush.
- Cammy - Naruto went from being her target for assassination to her strange bedfellow ally, to her protector and roommate, to her love buddy.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The Satsui no Hadou
- The Rival: Karin and Sakura
- Ryu and Ken
- Naruto and Sasuke
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: Averted. Occurs after everything in Thailand hits the fan for Shadaloo. Cammy kills Bison and he returns to life. As the final straw, he decides that since his base is going to explode anyway and he's already lost, he might as well make sure everyone else is caught in the explosion with him.
- After all... it's not like it killed him.
- Small Name, Big Ego: No one outside of Japan knows who Naruto is, or that he's dangerous in the slightest at the start of the story, however he frequently refers to himself loudly in so many words as the 'Best Ninja in the World'. Is not averted until The Second World Warrior Tournament where he actually does this in front of an international audience and for the most part backs it up.
- Dan constantly harkens to his canon 'victory' over Sagat and claims several characters as his equals or his students, but no real name character in the story takes him seriously in the slightest.
- Balrog too. When he threatens Naruto and Chun-Li before the tournament starts, they don't take him seriously at all.
- Shipper on Deck: Batsu for Naruto. Not because he's jealous but because he's annoyed at the UST between him, Sakura, Karin, and Ibuki and Naruto's stubborn refusal to resolve any of it.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: When Batsu isn't present, things tend to go pretty badly.
- The Team Benefactor: Totally Karin, as she funds the main protagonist group's entire search through Asia for Shadaloo. Hell, the major events of the story are initially put into motion because Karin is willing to financially support Naruto as long as he makes a concerted effort to try and take on the best fighters in Japan and the world.
- Smug Snake: Every major villain in the story falls into this trope. Even the more Bad Ass villains are way too arrogant for their own good, and it always comes back to bite them in the ass. Always.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Naruto and Sasuke have teamed together on three separate occasions to fight an enemy that they felt they couldn't defeat alone. Note that they're still dead-set on fighting against one another to a definite finish... even if it gets heated enough to kill one of them.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Naruto against Seth. If blasting him with a chakra "gatling gun", and ripping out the technology that powered him wasn't enough, Naruto beat what was left to a pulp with his fists and headbutts.
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: The Satsui no Hadou does this a lot.
- Took a Level in Badass: After previously getting smoked by Adon and knocked out of most of the decisive battles with Shadaloo, Batsu takes on Training from Hell from his scary father, allowing him to fight on par with Naruto (to an extent) later on.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Ryu tries to force Naruto to convince Sakura to forget about him so she can be purged of the Satsui no Hadou, calling him selfish when, in truth, he's being rather jerkish. To be fair, he doesn't understand that Sakura's greatest desire is not to keep fighting and get stronger, but to be with Naruto. Gouken blames this on his not teaching Ryu any social skills.
- Tournament Arc: The story uses two separate tournaments to further the plot at certain points.
- Travel Cool: Various characters to various degrees.
- Batsu: In the Mad Gear portion of the story, Batsu winds up swiping a military jeep from a hideout of theirs that he keeps and drives from that point forward.
- Ken: Has a shiny red convertible that Naruto besmirches with soda and doughnut sugar.
- Karin: routinely ferries herself and the rest of the main crew around in multiple vehicles. These include her Mile-Long Ship of a yacht, at least one Absurdly Long Limousine, and gratuitous use of helicopters to transport herself all over Japan.
- Underestimating Badassery: Heavy hitters from every single organized major antagonist group that the protagonists wind up fighting against in the story (Shadaloo, Mad Gear, etc.) end up woefully underestimating them due to the fact that they're a bunch of teenagers. Well-trained superhuman teenagers, but teenagers nonetheless.
- Only Shadaloo thus far managed to partially survive long enough to realize before it's too late that they're no joke.
- Unknown Rival: Dan. Everyone remembers him. Nobody respects him.
- Vehicular Sabotage: Batsu gets the tires on his jeep slashed by Edge, one of his rivals from his Rival Schools days.
- The Villain Makes the Plot: Averted. Without Shadaloo, Mad Gear, Akuma, or S.I.N., the story would still be a romantic comedy about a harem of girls trying to hook up with Naruto while Naruto tried to become the strongest fighter in Japan under Karin's orders. The villains just add to the plot.
- Villainous Breakdown: Vega has one when he begins to succumb to the unpleasant side effects of having Kurama's chakra inside of him. The revelation that his body can't withstand it where Naruto's can only further damages his massive ego.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: The main characters live this trope. Taking down entire criminal organizations or revolutionary zealots can only be done in earnest on weekends or during holidays when there's free time.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: The entire story basically starts with this.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't know what happened to Juri after Dark Sakura plucked her Feng Shui Engine out of her eye socket. The last time we see her is when she is writhing and shrieking on the floor while Sakura looks on in horror.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: The Satsui no Hadou.
- Worthy Opponent: Akuma desperately wants one, and will stoop to anything to find one.
- Would Hit a Girl: Oh so much, with every male character. But when the girls in question are the women talked about thus far it's really justifiable if one enjoys their good health.
- Yandere: Sakura when under the influence of the Satsui no Hadou. She'll blow you up with a super-powered Hadoken if you get anywhere near Naruto, whom she is determined to marry and have children with.
- You Can't Go Home Again: The only known way back to the ninja universe so far is Naruto and Sasuke going full-blast Rasengan vs. Chidori. They have no idea however since they can never remember that their full-power Rasengan/Chidori clashes warp space and time, and the one time they accidentally pull it off Akuma realizes what they did, so he just blows the energy shell it creates straight to hell with a monster Hadoken, leaving them stranded there still.