Here's a list of characters and related tropes for the manga series Yotsuba&!
The Koiwai Family
Our viewpoint character, a five-year-old with a very energetic outlook on the world.
- Bad Liar: Not that she's noticeably worse than any other five-year-old.
- Cheerful Child: As it says every chapter, "Today is always the most enjoyable day."
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Justified because of her age, but even her dad thinks she's a little weird.
- Constantly Curious
- Curtains Match the Window: In addition to her green hair, Yotsuba also has green eyes.
- Yotsuba will deliver Fuuka her milk, even if she hasn't a clue where Fuuka's school is, or even what a school is. Because a milkman delivers.
- Also, when told to return home alive from "exacting revenge" she replied: "Even if I die I'll come home alive." And she did. That's determination.
- Expressive Hair: Her pigtails rise and fall with her (rapidly changing) moods.
- Genki Girl: In spades. And the trump suit. This gets Lampshaded by Asagi: "Her default rate of movement really is running."
- Happily Adopted: She doesn't care one bit about her parentage. Koiwai is "dad" and that's that.
- Hate at First Sight: Yanda tried to enter the house while her dad was away. Yotsuba was taught not to let any strangers in when she's alone. Which leads to her slamming the door on his face. The fact that Yanda enjoys making her angry on purpose doesn't help improve her opinion of him.
- Improbable Hairstyle: Obeying the Rule of Cute, Yotsuba's hair is always in those four little pigtails, even when sleeping, swimming, taking a bath, etc.
- Malaproper: She mostly knows the words, but how to say them is still a little beyond her.
- Meaningful Name: It means "four leaves" as in "four-leaf clover". Thus her hair.
- "Yotsuba" and "Koiwai" are also both brands of dairy products in Japan.
- Mistaken Nationality: Based on her appearance, strangers constantly assume Yotsuba to be a foreigner, and indeed she was born in another, unknown country. As a result, some students at Fuuka's school try to speak to her in English because all gaijin are American.
- Parental Abandonment: We know nothing about her origins except that Koiwai found her somewhere overseas, which Yotsuba claims was "an island 'to the left'".
- Plucky Girl: Delivering milk is Serious Business.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Hers is Yanda.
- Sunny Sunflower Disposition: She's such a Genki Girl, she appears with a bouquet of sunflowers in the cover of the 1st volume. A later chapter even sees her fascinated by sunflowers in Jumbo's shop, and wanting to buy some.
- Super Drowning Skills: Suprisingly averted, Yotsuba can swim quite well. Koiwai, Jumbo and Fuuka on the other hand...
- Sweet Dreams Fuel: Her very existence.
- Third-Person Person: Childishly, in the original Japanese (mimicked in the Yen Press translations); she combines this with an innocent imitation of her father's masculine language — the effect is hysterically funny but is, alas, Lost in Translation.
- Trademark Favorite Food: As expected for a five-year-old, Yotsuba really likes ice cream. She also has a fascination for cup ramen. Curry is another favorite — one of the songs on the Image Album is called "Eating Curry (Very Delicious)".
- Twintails: Technically, quad-tails.
- Why Did It Have To Be Eyeballs?: Yotsuba is terrified of anything that has huge eyes, or anything that looks like a huge eye. Ironic considering her own are pretty big.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Which makes her an oddity among the cast's otherwise realistic character designs.
Mr. Koiwai / "Dad"
Yotsuba's adoptive father, who works from home as a translator. He's devoted to her, but isn't exactly the most driven parent who ever lived.
Koiwai: Important announcement!
- Children Raise You: Implied by himself.
- Cuteness Proximity: Put a guinea pig in his vicinity and he just melts. It's been suggested this may be part of the reason he adopted Yotsuba.
- Deadpan Snarker: Usually when bulling around with Yanda, but sometimes in response to Yotsuba.
Koiwai: It says "No admittance."
Yotsuba: Even for me?
Koiwai: What, are you a VIP?
- Good Dad: So very much.
- Hot Dad: According to some of Fuuka's classmates.
- No Name Given: We have never learned his given name. Even Jumbo calls him by his family name.
- One of the Kids: Can be this sometimes when friends are over or when playing with Yotsuba.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He's quite willing to tolerate, if not participate in, Yotsuba's sillier antics. On those occasions when she does actively misbehave, the hammer comes down hard — sometimes overlapping with Scare 'Em Straight.
- Super Drowning Skills: Alongside Jumbo and Fuuka.
- The Slacker: He doesn't even wear pants in the summer, if he has the choice.
The Ayase Family
The Koiwai's next-door neighbors, frequently visited by Yotsuba.
The oldest Ayase girl; Yotsuba looks up to her (figuratively and
literally). She seems to enjoy it.
The middle Ayase girl, and the one who seems to have the worst luck. Her travails, of course, go right over Yotsuba's head.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her fat or mention her weight. Just don't. Jumbo (and Koiwai) found out the hard way in the pool chapter.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Though Koiwai in chapter 67 thinks this just makes her cuter.
- Butt Monkey: Her life can kinda suck.
- Dreadful Musician: Fuuka, drop that ukelele. And stop singing.
- Friend to All Children: Especially prevalent during the Autumn festival.
- Generation Xerox: Takes after Mr. Ayase, notably his romanticism and love of puns (much to Asagi's chagrin).
- Generic Cuteness: Often mocked for either her plain looks, eyebrows, or pudginess compared to her older sister Asagi. Doesn't stop her from being popular with her classmates though.
- Kind of averted in that she is actually regarded as being fairly attractive. For instance, Jumbo's initial reaction to her was to exclaim that she's a bishoujo, only to drop the "Bi" when he meets Asagi because...well, it's Asagi.
- Girl Next Door
- Go Nagai Sideburns: Her hair seems to give this sort of visual effect, kinda like Kagura.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Her sense of humor leaves much to be desired.
- Is That Cute Kid Yours?: Apparently Fuuka's classmates wondered if Yotsuba was her child.
- Ms. Fanservice: Shows off a lot more skin than any other female character, including wearing short skirts, swimsuits and turning up in sexy outfits on colour pages.
- Pungeon Master: Of the incredibly lame variety. Her father enjoys them, but Asagi and Jumbo don't.
- Ship Tease: Usually with Koiwai, Played for Laughs.
The youngest Ayase girl, she's the closest to Yotsuba in age and thus plays with her most often. Likes bugs, amphibians, and teddy bears.
- Berserk Button: Don't do anything that isn't environmentally friendly, or keep calling any of her bears Duralumin.
- Cheerful Child: Although not quite at Yotsuba's level, Ena still generally has a sunny disposition.
- Cool Big Sis: The younger variety; Ena seems to go further than Fuuka or Asagi in treating Yotsuba as a little sister.
- Daddy's Girl: Though Mr. Ayase loves all of them very much, Ena seems to be his little girl.
- Considering the other two don't even recognize him sometimes...
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: She likes playing with her teddy bears with Yotsuba.
- Granola Girl: She tends to be more environmentally conscious than others as well as having a fondness for recycling, but she doesn't mind eating meat or helping clean fish for a meal.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She looks like the girly girl to Miura in terms of looks and general personality, but has some tomboy interests.
The mother of the three girls.
The father of the three girls.
Takashi "Jumbo" Takeda
Koiwai's best friend, whose nickname hints at his most notable feature. A decent guy, if a little overenthusiastic around Asagi.
Ena's friend, who's not all that nice to Yotsuba (though she doesn't actively try to be mean; she just doesn't have everyone else's patience). Hates
slimy things, in contrast to Ena.
Asagi's friend, she has a somewhat more aloof personality. Yotsuba seems to confuse her even more than the rest of the cast.
Koiwai's kohai who gets a kick out of taunting Yotsuba. Unfortunately for him, everyone treats him exactly
like he deserves.
A classmate and friend of Fuuka's. Her real name is Hiwatari, but acquired her nickname when flubbing her introduction to her class.