You are required by law to grin in delight
at least once per chapter
- Most heartwarming moments in the series are provoked by Yotsuba's wide-eyed gasp of astonishment at some new, mundane discovery. The crowning moment is probably at the end of volume 3, when she learns how awesome fireworks shows are. They even printed a two-page panel of the fireworks IN COLOR! Reduced this troper to misty-eyed goo.
- Earth is best after all, right?
- In chapter 72, Yanda starts treating Yotsuba better. A little.
- In volume 10, Yotsuba lies about breaking a teacup. Her dad then proceeds to scare her into telling the truth by taking her to a graveyard. After that happens though, he picks her up and this exchange follows:
Dad: I don't care that you broke the teacup. Or that you broke the window. Or that you spilled coffee. That doesn't matter.
Yotsuba: ...Even if I break another plate?
Dad: That's fine. It's your job to screw up.
Yotsuba: Even if I break your computer?
Yotsuba: Okay. I won't lie anymore.
- He then proceeds to play the same game with her that caused the cup to get broken.
- The journey home from a day at the beach, with everyone falling asleep on the train. And then there's every chapter spent with just Yotsuba and her father, doing things together. And of course when Asagi shows Yotsuba what tsukutsukuboshi really are. The list goes on...
- Like when she was spinning the acorns and her dad just smiled at her. That was adorable.
- Or when during the Bon festival (where the spirits of the dead come back to Earth from heaven) Yotsuba goes around giving flowers to everyone, and one old man tells her that heaven is filled with flowers and good food. Yotsuba then goes home to see her father cooking her favorite meal next to several big bouquets, and says "Heaven." DAWWW.
- To make a full list, you could easily say "Start with episode one; continue." One could argue that the series doesn't qualify for a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming because there's really no crowning moment — the whole thing is just so dang heartwarming.
- "She'll be fine. She can find happiness in anything. Nothing in this world can get her down. Nothing."
- One that stood out to me was during Chapter 18, where Yotsuba is going around handing out flowers to random people. She gives one to a police woman, telling her to do her best. Right before the scene shifts, we see a panel of the police woman saying "I will do my best." with a smile on her face. Just goes to show how one act of kindness can make anyone's day better.
- Asagi fixed Duralumin's voicebox while Yotsuba going through a Heroic BSOD.
- Yotsuba is excited about going on a camping trip, until she finds out that Yanda is going with them. She's being very grumpy on the drive over, so Yanda has the other girls draw on his face to make her laugh.
- One chapter has nothing particularly flashy happening, but Jumbo visits to watch Yotsuba while her dad finishes working; Jumbo brings her a book on animals after looking through Tora's pictures of the recent hot air balloon event, and he sits with her as she discovers the stickers in the book and eagerly puts together her own zoo; Yotsuba starts to get tired, but stays awake because she wants to play with her dad and Jumbo, and it's just such an accurate depiction of a kid that age that it can't help but be endearing; Dad decides it's time for bed, and Jumbo has to agree to come back tomorrow so they can all play then.
- The next chapter has Yotsuba holding hands with her dad and Jumbo while they walk through the parking lot of the electronics store. She counts off and they both swing her by her hands, and many readers remembered a time when they would do the exact same thing with their parents.