Characters: Xam'd: Lost Memories
The characters of Xam'd: Lost Memories
open/close all folders
Akiyuki TakeharaI want to live...
An ordinary high school student, sixteen year old Akiyuki lived in Sentan Island with his two best friends Furuichi and Haru. He was changed into a Xam'd following a terrorist attack on his hometown. Because of this, Akiyuki is forced to leave his former life behind and follow Nakiami, a mysterious girl who can help him control his newfound power as a Xam'd.
Nakiami"No more tears."I remember... a very strange name... My heart's full of gratitude for it, but it's never enough... Someone noble... So sad and lonely... But looking forward, so much that it hurts... Nakiami...
Nakiami is an emotionless, young woman who helps Akiyuki control his Xam'd form. She seems knowledgable in the Xam'd and Humanform Weapons.
Haru Nishimura"I appreciate it, Furuichi, but please understand this, no matter how you feel... I love Akiyuki!"Someone special... Stubborn, poking her nose into my business. And yet, I was so happy to see her. I loved talking to her... Someone I loved...
Akiyuki's childhood friend and love interest. Haru longs to reunite with Akiyuki and joins the Mainsoul military in order to find him.
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: Averted. While the separation between Akiyuki and Haru does strain their relationship, their feelings never waver.
- Aloof Big Sister: Unintentionally to her younger sister Midori.
- Armed Legs: As seen in Episode 2 and 19, Haru has a pretty mean kick.
- Badass Normal
- Catch a Falling Star: Episode 19.
- The Chick
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Akiyuki.
- Closer to Earth
- Conflicting Loyalty: Haru is torn between her love for Akiyuki and her duty as a soldier of the Mainsoul military.
- Also, her love for Akiyuki strains her friendship with Furuichi, who is in love with her.
- Distressed Damsel: Quite a few times, but it's subverted because she takes the danger in stride and usually tries to negotiate the situation, whether it's confronting Furuichi in his Xam'd form, or negotiating with her younger sister Midori when she becomes a Tyke Bomb. But either way, Haru does need saving, and Akiyuki is there to come to her rescue.
- First Girl Wins
- Girl Next Door
- Important Haircut
- I Will Wait for You: In the epilogue.
- Love Hurts: Because of her separation from Akiyuki and her Conflicting Loyalty.
- Love Interest: She is the love interest of both Akiyuki and Furuichi.
- Love Triangle: Akiyuki/Haru/Furuichi.
- Meaningful Name: Haru means "spring." It connects with Akiyuki's name, which means "autumn" and "snow."
- Mindlink Mates: Akiyuki and Haru when Akiyuki's in his Xam'd form.
- Missing Mom
- Oblivious to Love: She's rather oblivious to Furuichi's feelings for her until Episode 14. She rejects him for Akiyuki, though.
- Official Couple: With Akiyuki.
- Plucky Girl
- Standard Female Grab Area: Used twice, once by Akiyuki in his Xam'd form in Episode 2, and then by Furuichi in his Xam'd form in Episode 13. Somewhat justified by the superhuman strength of a Xam'd (and, in the first case, by the fact that she wasn't terribly interested in breaking free anyway).
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Akiyuki's and Haru's initial relationship. They got better.
- Supporting Protagonist: If the story isn't focusing on Akiyuki or Nakiami, the spotlight usually shines on Haru.
- íThree Amigos!: With Akiyuki and Furuichi.
- Two Guys and a Girl: With Akiyuki and Furuichi.
Sentan Island Residents
Furuichi Teraoka"The most important thing is to face the opponent, and without hesitation, make their body a part of your own."Someone who sat next to me in class... He always said it laughing in disbelief, but... what was it? You always did call me by my name, didn't you, Furuichi?
Furuichi is Akiyuki's best friend. He has unrequited feelings for Haru. Despite being usually level-headed and sensible, Furuichi's growing hatred of the Xam'd and his jealousy towards Akiyuki threatens to tear apart the trio's friendship.
Haru's younger sister. Midori is forced to use a crutch because of a car accident that took away their mother's life a few years ago.
Fusa TakeharaHe's always played tricks like this. If I scolded him, he'd act like he was really sorry, but he's just play a new trick the next day. I'd put him out without dinner, and tell the neighbors... to punish him if they catch him trying to get back in. But he used to sneak back into the kitchen... through the back of the clinic, without being seen. I knew all about it, of course. I realized what was happening when I'd let him in to apologize, there would be rice grains stuck to his face. And I'd notice that half of his rice was missing. It was kind of amazing how far he'd go, really. But that's my boy for you. That's... my son.
Akiyuki's mother. She has a strained relationship with her husband, Ryuuzou.
Ryuuzou Takehara"A question without an answer is truth. Yet, people must continue to question themselves. Think about it!"
Akiyuki's father, Ryuuzou is estranged from his family because of his work.
- All-Loving Hero: He seemingly bears no ill will toward the girl who caused his son's disappearance, considering he keeps her alive and later adopts her as his housekeeper at the end of the story. He also saved the life of Kakisu, and refuses to let him die even when Kakisu begs him to kill him (we later see him keeping him alive in his hospital after he shoots himself).
- Badass Normal
- Eye Scream: Kakisu slashes Ryuuzou's eye in their battle in Episode 22.
- Mysterious Past
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: The reason why Ryuuzou's relationship with Fusa is strained.
Zanbani Postal Airship Crew Members
Isshu BenikawaYou sit proudly in this cave, like a Queen of Egypt. In my service to you, I shall never know rest. To prove my devotion, I have stolen this ostentatious offering. But I'll show you things... your dark blue eyes haven't seen, smiles like a lake in the sun, blossoming like a lotus. Sitting upon your great throne, inscribed with a lion's head, skin bathed in ebony light. At times, I'll raise a lamp, and take my place at your warm feet. This pendant releases the light of Sirius, which your eyes will never behold. One who does not live for my sake, a child of this country, will bare this fire within, and herself, freeze..."Feelings can't be put into words."
The captain of the Zanbani.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: To Nakiami in Episode 4, and quite a number of times when she was a child. Sure, it was a bit of Domestic Abuse, but it was also Tough Love because Nakiami would always make Isshu worry.
- Badass Normal
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Captain
- Expy/Distaff Counterpart: Apart from being female, she strongly resembles Holland from Eureka Seven. She's the captain of a supposedly civilian but suspiciously heavily-armed Cool Airship, a heavy drinker, abrasive, has a military (well, paramilitary) background, has a complicated relationship with young Emotionless Girl charge, initially resents the newest arrival to her airship, and tends to lounge around in her private quarters wearing very little indeed.
- Green Eyes
- Hair Decorations
- Hime Cut
- Lady of War
- Love Triangle: Rado/Isshu/Raigyo.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Parental Substitute: Seemingly for Nakiami during her stay on the Zanbani.
- Slipknot Ponytail
- Smoking Is Cool
Raigyo Tsunomata"Failing to value the lives of others cheapens your own."
A former crew member of the Zanbani and another Xam'd that Nakiami took into her care prior to Akiyuki, Raigyo returns two years later in the end of Episode 8.
The navigator of the Zanbani and the mother of Hinokimaru.
The pilot of the Zanbani.
Kisel"Hard work is the path to freedom!"
Voiced by: Junko Hori (Japanese), Marcy Bannor (English)"Your fate has become intertwined with Xam'd."
A spiritual guide who helps Akiyuki with his Xam'd training.
Kobako"Even letters addressed to unknown destinations get delivered."
A young girl who is often with Hinokimaru.
A nekomata Akiyuki encounters on his way to school. Hinokimaru later finds it and keeps it as a pet.
Commander Tojiru Kakisu"Will you die to end my suffering? If you're not prepared to do that, it doesn't matter if you pull the trigger or just watch!"
Prois"Do you need to ask? Why a woman falls in love with a man..."
Voiced by: Motomu Kiyokawa (Japanese), Andy McAvin (English)
Voiced by: Miyoko Aso (Japanese), Elizabeth Bunch (English)
Nazuna"My name is... Nazuna... Don't worry, you'll be fine... Along with our lost memory... Xam'd..."
A seeming transfer student Akiyuki meets on the bus to school, Nazuna is really a terrorist bomber whose self-bombing at Sentan Island results in Akiyuki getting embedded with the gem that changes him into a Xam'd. It's later revealed that Akiyuki's father Ryuuzou has been secretly keeping Nazuna alive on life support ever since the bombing.
Voiced by: Yutaro Honjo (Japanese), Corey Hartzog (English)"I'm supposed to protect her! We're meant to be together! She needs me!"
Yango is a young boy who Nakiami encounters on her travels. Like Akiyuki, Yango has a Xam'd form.
Sumako Kakisu"Amau is a place for people trapped in time... It's not for someone like you."
A kind, eldery woman who buys an amnesiac Akiyuki
from slave traders and takes him into her care as a helper until he regains his memories. She is Kakisu's mother.
Kujireika"Our journey is of independence."
Nakiami's younger sister and the chief of Tessik village.
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)
A follower of Lady Sannova who leads Akiyuki and Haru to the Quickening Chamber.
Hiruken EmperorAkiyuki... I remember you now. I've finally found you. Now come, come and kill me.
The millennia-old leader and religious figurehead of the North.