open/close all folders
Cecelia "CeCe" Jones
Cecelia "CeCe" Jones is one of the main characters on Shake It Up. She dances on the local teen dance show, Shake It Up, Chicago!. She is the daughter of Georgia Jones and J.J. Jones and the older sister of Flynn Jones. She is best friends with Rocky Blue. She lives in an apartment with her mother and Flynn in the suite below Rocky and her family. Her parents are divorced and her father lives in Florida. She attends John Hughes High School in Chicago, Illinois. She wants to become famous and also wants Rocky to be famous with her.
Tropes Associated With "CeCe" Jones:
- Brilliant but Lazy: However, in "Brain It Up", CeCe discovers the value of studying, and she realizes she just doesn't apply herself enough.
- The Ditz: Doesn't know what Pittsburgh is. Though surprisingly, her dyslexia is not brought up again.
- Genius Ditz: In "Apply It Up", she reveals she knows she is far from the best student, but once she starts dancing, she gets to be a genius. Possibly Hidden Depths, considering her best friend of nearly a decade is the smartest girl in school seeing as Candy Cho has left.
- Easily Forgiven: Averted. CeCe's irrational hatred towards Logan had already done too much damage. When CeCe does try to make amends, one slip up became the last straw for Logan, who makes it clear that he does not forgive CeCe after all she had done to him. However, in the future-set episode, CeCe and Logan are married, so he must have forgiven her somewhere along the line.
- Embarrassing First Name: Cecelia.
- Expy: Possibly of Chelsea from That's So Raven, but this time, she's not the sidekick.
- Flanderization: CeCe goes from being an average student to a girl who doesn't know what Pittsburgh is in one episode.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: CeCe and Logan give off these vibes, in a Belligerent Sexual Tension sort of way, although their parents end up calling off their wedding. In the future-set episode, CeCe and Logan are married.
- Heel Face Door Slam: In Love and War it Up, CeCe tries to be a better person for Logan, but after an accident involving CeCe during his badminton game, Logan doesn't buy her attempt at redemption. Of course, CeCe acted like a jerk towards Logan ever since he fired her for legitimate reasons, and this damaged their relationship beyond forgiveness and redemption.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners/Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Rocky.
- Hidden Depths: She pushes Rocky to fulfill her dreams because Rocky is the one who convinced CeCe to continue dancing when they were little, and is trying to repay her.
- I'll Kill You!: Towards Rocky after Tinka dyes CeCe's hair green and frames Rocky. Later on directs this Gunther and Tinka
- Informed Ability: Her matchmaking skills. And her ability to never be surprised. Could've just been for parties, but she claims to know everything.
- Jerkass: Concerning her 'leadership' in her friendship with Rocky. It has been showed, and has been the subject of an episode, that she takes control and decides what they're going to do without so much as telling Rocky. Even worse, when Rocky does it, CeCe looks shocked someone would do that, and Rocky calls her out on it.
- Spell My Name with an "S": There's little consensus over whether the second "C" should be capitalized.
- Token White: In her group of friends.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: In name only. CeCe is seemingly the Tomboy to Rocky's Girly Girl, but with closer look Rocky takes part on more athletic activities, is slightly less fashion crazy and boy crazy (especially in later episodes) while CeCe is more into her hair, nails, clothes, though it's still not exact. Mostly Depending on the Writer.
Raquel "Rocky" Blue
Portrayed by: Creator/endayaColeman
Raquel "Rocky" Blue is one of the main characters on Shake It Up where she dances on the local teen dance show Shake It Up, Chicago! However in Ty It Up, she was kicked off the show because the new producer wanted fresh, new faces. She is the daughter of Marcie Blue and Curtis Blue and the younger sister of Ty Blue. She lives in an apartment with her family in the suite above her best friend, "CeCe" Jones, and her family. Her father is a doctor who later returned in the second season after being away on business trips and working overseas. She attends John Hughes High School in Chicago, Illinois.
Tropes Associated With Rocky Blue:
- Academic Athlete: Rocky does well in school and takes part in athletic activities.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Rocky is a tall and mature girl with dark hair.
- Ambiguously Brown: At least until "Heat It Up". Her mother is shown to be black and her father appears to be mixed race. Zendaya herself is half Dutch and half African-American.
- Ambiguously Bi: Even discounting the ton of Les Yay she has with CeCe, in "Tunnel It Up" she's definitely put out that the Captain of the basketball team didn't ask her to the dance. The girls basketball team.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: In Ty's eyes anyway.
- Badass Bookworm: Badass being arguable.
- She does get to show some of this in "Whodunit Up?" though.
- Berserk Button: Being called a bad friend.
- She seems to have been teased far too often in the past for a "growth spurt" that led to her tallness, and is very sensitive about potshots made at her height (she was called "giraffe" by her schoolmates), even from CeCe. And she will let you know about it.
- Beware the Nice Ones: If you mess with her friends, or just straight up royally piss her off, she will tell you off. Too bad nothing has been made of her taking karate.
- Cassandra Truth: Told CeCe it was Tinka who was sabotaging her.
- The Cast Show Off: Well, she is a dancer on a show about dancing. Though this tropette is waiting for the day when she actually gets to sing and be acknowledged for it.
- It finally happened in "Merry Merry It Up".
- Cat Fight: Though not an actual one in extent, but she and CeCe do hit one another while at therapy.
- Cool Big Sis: When Rocky is about to leave for New York in "Model It Up", Flynn says he's losing his favourite big sister.
- Cool Loser: Though her bestie CeCe seems to be more popular.
- Cute Bruiser: Arguably. She only had limited karate training. But she's undeniably cute.
- Daddy's Girl: Tries her hardest to get his approval, and he even has a trick to go to her school to give her hugs. Ty, too.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of the biggest. See Silent Snarker below.
- Embarrassing First Name: Raquel, of all things.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Rocky's dad wants her to be a doctor just like him and is opposed to her dancing on Shake It Up Chicago... at least at first.
- Geek Physique: Is quite tall (5'10"), skinny, and also the biggest nerd opposed to Henry on the show.
- Huge School Girl: At 5'10, who wouldn't be?
- Hypocritical Humor: Gets on to CeCe for lying, in the same episode she lies as well.
- Important Hair Cut: Averted kinda. Her hair grew and became much darker and sleeker.
- Informed Flaw: Her height, though Kenton Duty (Gunther) at 6'1 is noticeably taller, and her enormous feet, which apparently are large enough for her to wear Ty's shoes.
- Kid Detective: In "Whodunit Up?"
- Kids Are Cruel: During her interview in "Apply It Up", she talks about going through a drastic growth spurt, and other kids calling her names like "Giraffe" and "Tree", and that it's only when she's dancing does she feel that she's graceful instead of awkward.
- Further proving a certain WMG.
- Morality Chain: She has this role to CeCe, to make sue she doesn't get into too much trouble.
- Ms. Fanservice: There's no stopping showing off her legs.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Admit it, you can't wait to see Zendaya all grown up.
- Odd Couple: Whenever they're interacting as friends, Rocky and Gunther are more likely to team up.
- Odd Friendship: With Tinka and/or Gunther at times.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Apparently hates her first name. Though in a flashback, she was insistent on being called Raquel. To be fair, she was five.
- The Perfectionist: Considering her grades.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue to CeCe's Red.
- The Rival: Candy stinkin' Cho!
- Running Gag: Her height being the the topic of many jokes, usually from the considerably shorter CeCe. Though Kenton Duty is noticeably taller than Zendaya.
- Sassy Black Girl: Again, half-black. Although, she's only sassy when she gets angry.
- She's Got Legs: And how. Zendaya has even mention in a magazine article that while other girls got curves, she didn't. Well, not like them. Instead, she got model legs.
- Ship Tease: With Gunther and Deuce.
- Sidekick: To CeCe. It's often pointed out, and she seems to resent it.
- Token Good Teammate: Probably the only character who is not a jerk, and not to mention sane and rational minded.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Seemingly the Girly Girl to CeCe's Tomboy, but with closer look Rocky takes part in more athletic activities, is slightly less fashion crazy and boy crazy (especially in later episodes) while CeCe is more into her hair, nails, clothes, though it's still not exact. Mostly Depending on the Writer.
- The Unfavorite: Concerning the four main dancers, especially on Shake It Up! Chicago, she is often treated as such. Even by CeCe.
Flynn Jones is a main character on Shake It Up. He is the youngest character of them all on the show at 11 years old. He is the son of Georgia Jones and J.J. Jones and the younger brother of "CeCe" Jones. He lives in an apartment with his mom and sister in the suite below the Blue family. He is often babysitted by some of his friends; Ty Blue, Deuce Martinez, and sometimes Gunther Hessenheffer (along with Tinka Hessenheffer). He is often seen with his best friend Henry Dillon. He attends an elementary school in Chicago, Illinois. His parents are divorced and his father lives in Florida.
Tropes Associated With Flynn Jones:
- Brilliant but Lazy: He's more than capable of running circles around the rest of the cast and is even hired by a toy company in one episode for his product expertise, but he'd rather focus on his video games and just being a kid.
- According to CeCe, he installed wifi at three and helped with tax refund at six. Sometimes you gotta wonder why his mom thought he needs Henry to rub off to him.
Portrayed by: Roshon Fegan
Ty Blue is a main character on Shake It Up. He is the son of Curtis Blue and Marcie Blue and the older brother of Rocky Blue. He is friends with "CeCe" Jones, Gunther Hessenheffer and Deuce Martinez. He lives in an apartment in Chicago, Illinois with his family in the suite above the Jones family, for whom he often babysits Flynn Jones. His father is a doctor that returned in the second season after being away on business trips and working overseas. Although he is a very good dancer, he does not want to go try out for Shake It Up, Chicago!, claiming he doesn't "dance for the man". Instead, he aspires to be a rapper. Later, he changes his mind and reveals to his sister Rocky that he does want to be a dancer on Shake It Up, Chicago! and attends the auditions for the revamped version of the show, with Tinka Hessenheffer as his dance partner. He is eventually made the show's new host. He attends John Hughes High School.
Tropes Associated With Ty Blue:
- Ambiguously Brown: At least until "Heat It Up". His mother is shown to be black and his father appears to be mixed race. Roshon Fegan himself is half Filipino and half African-American.
- Follow in My Footsteps: Ty's dad wants him to be a doctor just like him and is opposed to him wanting to be a rapper... at least at first.
- Ty, according to "Future It Up", doesn't achieve this, being an obese tea boy at Flynn's video game making company.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Flynn.
Martin "Deuce" Martinez
Portrayed by: Adam Irigoyen
Martin "Deuce" Martinez is a main character on Shake It Up. He has been described as a con-man, usually seen selling random things from the inside of his jacket. Deuce has connections to everything ("Add It Up"). His father George Martinez was seen in a episode but not his mother or sister, however they were mentioned. He has many family members. A handful of his cousins have been seen in different episodes. His most prominent family member is Uncle Frank, who owns Crusty's, where Deuce works. He attends John Hughes High School in Chicago, Illinois with his friends, Ty Blue, Rocky Blue, and "CeCe" Jones. He usually babysits Flynn Jones and is in a strong relationship with Dina Garcia. He can speak fluent Spanish, as seen in "Twist It Up" and "Weird It Up".
Tropes Associated With Martin "Deuce" Martinez:
- Afraid of Blood: In "Break It Up", Deuce faints after Rocky shows him how her foot is badly cut.
- Babies Ever After: In the future, Deuce and Dina end up with EIGHT kids. And likely more to come...
- Bilingual Bonus: Deuce is fluent in Spanish. Justified since it's Adam Irigoyen's first language.
- Birds of a Feather: With Dina.
Gunther and Tinka Hessenheffer
Portrayed by: Kenton Duty and Caroline Sunshine
Gunther and Tinka Hessenheffer are main characters on Shake It Up. They dance on the local teen dance show, Shake It Up, Chicago!. They live in an apartment with family in Chicago, Illinois and attend John Hughes High School with fellow Shake It Up, Chicago! dancers, "CeCe" Jones and Rocky Blue. They have been exchange students since the first grade and were born in a small mountain country in Europe that has never been addressed by name, but referred to many times.
Tropes Associated With Gunther and Tinka Hessenheffer:
- Commuting on a Bus: Kenton Duty who plays Gunther has dropped down from main character status to recurring character status as of Season 3. There is a Written-In Absence in the season premiere as it is explained that Gunther has returned to his homeland to both care for his ailing grandmother and help squelch a revolution.
- Coordinated Clothes: They would coordinate their rather extravagant outfits.
- Heel-Face Turn: Seemingly. Once Gunther leaves, she feels lonely afterwords, and now Tinka wants to fully be friends with Rocky, CeCe, and co.
- Lovable Alpha Bitches: Gunther and Tinka simultaneously live up to and subvert this trope. specifically the "Alpha Bitch" part.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Gunther, but not in a physical way. He reads other people's e-mails.
- Odd Couple: Whenever they're interacting as friends, Rocky and Gunther are more likely to team up as are CeCe and Tinka.
- Pardon My Klingon: In "Split It Up", upon hearing that Gary has chosen CeCe over her as Gunther's dance partner for a Wake Up Chicago appearance, Tinka rattles off a blue streak in her native tongue that Gunther declines to translate.
- Put on a Bus: Gunther in Season 3.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Tinka in the beginning of Season 3.
- Royal Blood: In "Vatalihootsit It Up", it's revealed that the Hessenheffers are the royal family back in their home country. Their mother gave up being the crown princess to marry their father.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Gunter and Tinka are never seen without these kind of clothes. At one point they wore burglar outfits that sparkled.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Tinka, when she goes on her date with Ty in "Add It Up" and again in "Tunnel It Up" after she loses all the layers of her dress. It's even lampshaded by Deuce.
- Ship Tease: Tinka with Ty. Gunther with Rocky and CeCe.
- Will They or Won't They?: Tinka and Ty after "Add It Up".
- According to "Future It Up", they will, but it'll take 22 years.
- 0% Approval Rating: Most of the time. Unfortunately, they refuse to accept or believe that.
Dina Maria Louisa Schwartz-Garcia is the daughter of Don Rio Garcia and Mrs. Garcia. She has the same personality as Deuce Martinez and is dating him. They are alike in many ways. Dina comes from a very rich family. Dina has a pet pig named Pinkie. Dina is much like her boyfriend, Deuce, as she sells items around the school and wears colorful headphones around her neck a lot. She possess a New Jersey accent.
Tropes Associated With Dina Garcia:
Portrayed by: Anita Barone
Georgia Jones is the mother of both CeCe Jones and Flynn Jones. She is divorced from her children's father, J.J. Jones. She works as a police officer. Her first appearance was in "Start It Up" and she is the ex-fiance of Jeremy Hunter.
Tropes Associated With Georgia Jones:
- Glamorous Single Mother: How else could she afford a three bedroom apartment on a cop salary? Well, since she is in good terms with her ex, he likely sends the child support cheques on time.
- Older Than She Looks: Georgia Jones is more than likely in her mid-to-late thirties considering CeCe's age. However Anita Barone is 48 years of age which is almost old enough to be Flynn's Grandma. And while she looks closer to 50 than 40 in the face, her body doesn't look older than 35.
Portrayed by: Buddy Handleson
Henry Dillon is Flynn's best friend when they met in "Add It Up" through CeCe Jones. Henry started out as CeCe's math tutor and was the one who revealed that she had dyslexia. He is a super genius, having graduated college and teaches at various levels of schooling.
Tropes Associated With Henry Dillon:
Portrayed by: R. Brandon Johnson
Gary Wilde is the devilishly handsome, egocentric and narcissistic former host/producer of the television dance show, Shake It Up, Chicago! He tends to take credit for what other people do and is a bit self-involved at times. However when it comes down to it, he usually ends up doing what is right.
Tropes Associated With Gary Wilde:
- Drunk on Milk: He ordered several pizzas after the loss of Shake It Up! Chicago
Logan Hunter appears in multiple Season 3 episodes of Shake It Up. Logan is the son of Jeremy Hunter and was going to be CeCe Jones and Flynn Jones's stepbrother and Georgia Jones's stepson, until I Do It Up, when Georgia and Jeremy don't get married because they felt that they rushed into their relationship. Logan and CeCe do still see each other, because Logan and Rocky end-up dating for 6 days then they break up, because CeCe gave Logan another chance and Logan didn't give CeCe a chance.
Tropes Associated With Logan Hunter: