- Captain Obvious Reveal: The Mystery Rider's identity is obvious once his voice sample is heard.
- First Installment Wins: Not counting the Nickelodeon Kart Racers games which is considered its own series, this game is the most well-remembered among the trilogy. Nicktoons Winners Cup Racing is a buggy mess that has been long-since forgotten, and Nicktoons Nitro, while a much better game, has its exposure limited to children's arcades like Chuck E. Cheese due to never being released on home consoles, and thus isn't well-remembered or well-known.
- Franchise Original Sin: For being the first real Nicktoons crossover game, SpongeBob receives a lot of focus for how new it was at the time, as much of the game's plot points are SpongeBob-related (winning a Krusty Krab-themed award with a year supply of Krabby Patties, and the main antagonist being Plankton). However, SpongeBob isn't prominently featured on the box, and in general, the focus is still on the Nicktoons (helped by the fact that the character select screen defaults to Tommy Pickles, the main character of Nickelodeon's Cash Cow Franchise at the time, Rugrats, who is also prominently featured on the box) as a whole instead of SpongeBob with the other Nicktoons tagging along, as the series would become increasingly guilty of (to the point where the final Nicktoons game was called "SpongeBob SquarePants Featuring Nicktoons"). Also, Plankton was likely chosen as the antagonist since he had the closest to a plausible motive to gather the Nicktoons in a race against him.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- The mere fact the SpongeBob SquarePants series has three playable characters despite being the most recent Nicktoons series represented at the time of the game's release is all the more hilarious now that the series has essentially become Nickelodeon's Flagship Franchise.
- Ren appears in the intro, but isn't playable. 20 years later, he would eventually become playable in Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2.
- No Problem with Licensed Games: When compared to the likes of Crash Team Racing it isn't as spectacular, but it generally uses the formula well enough and features just enough Fanservice that qualifies it for this trope.
- So Okay, It's Average: While it is generally considered a decent kart racer, it doesn't really do much different nor does it really stand out from the other popular Mascot Racers of the time like Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing.
- Sophomore Slump: Nobody remembers this game's sequel, Nicktoons Winners Cup Racing.
YMMV / Nicktoons Racing