- Ensemble Dark Horse:
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Chao/Ass or "Chass", due to Ass's status as Chao's Abhorrent Admirer, as well as treating him better than Wake.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Parodied with Wake. She seems like she'd be this at first glance, but the first episode already reinforces how terrifying she is.
- Played Straight with Chao, the cute facial expressions he makes sometimes only support this even further.
- Invoked with Kai, she's portrayed to be as deliberately cute and likeable as possible, to showcase how far Wake would go if someone upstages her.
- One True Threesome: Ass/Chao/Wake. The fact that Ass' Gender Flip Alternate Self refers to Wake as "Chao's second girlfriend" also helps.
- Ship Mates: Chao/Ass goes well with Wake/Mototsu.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: The first episode featuring Ass turning into a girl lampshades this in the credits: Despite the fact that Chao is attracted to Ass when he's a girl and him actually enjoying being a girl, the show ignores this in favor of the Status Quo Is God. The show does turn Ass into a girl in the very next episode, but only to quickly resolve the conflict, with no mention of Chao being attracted to him/her. However, in Another Dimension, both Ass and Wake got gender-flipped, with Ass actually being Chao's girlfriend, while Wake (or rather "Wako") takes his place as Chao's Abhorrent Admirer.
- The Woobie:
- Poor Chao, his parents are dead, his brother is a nutjob, his crush is consistently reinforcing that they're Just Friends, he lives all by himself, and is a victim of chronic depression... His status as the Butt-Monkey only makes it worse.
- Kai. She really didn't deserve getting brutally murdered by Wake.
YMMV / Japanoschlampen