- Alternate Character Interpretation:
- Yozora's mean streak and selfishness are obvious, but almost all of her bile seems reserved for Sena and Maria, the arrogant Rich Alpha Bitch and Insufferable Genius Bratty Half-Pint. As the series goes on, she starts getting the hints of when she goes too far in her Break the Haughty hobby, as when she pushes Sena too far until she passionately admits her devotion to Eroge in such a way that even Rika is shocked. Yozora honestly apologizes.
- Some fans theorize that Yukimura's obsession with being "a true Japanese man" may indicate being a female-to-male Transgender.
- Base-Breaking Character: Yukimura Kusunoki. She has fans that find her Raised as the Opposite Gender angle interesting, and find her Recursive Crossdressing hilarious fuel for character interaction. To others, Yukimura is The Generic Guy in a cast of wacky and colourful girls.
- Better Than Canon: The manga adaptation is more beloved over the latter half of the original light novels, for what readers felt was a more conclusive resolution to the girls' love and Kodaka explicitly pursuing one of the girls towards the end of the manga.
- Catharsis Factor: Given it's literally a Running Gag for Yozora to bully Sena until she storms out of the room in tears, it's therefore very satisfying when Sena really hits Yozora where it hurts - by pointing out that her childhood friendship with Kodaka doesn't mean anything in the long run, making Yozora cry.
- Fan-Preferred Couple:
- Kodaka/Sena and Kodaka/Yozora both had large fan followings, so over the course of the series, whenever one couple seemed to be heading for Official Couple status, the other occupied this slot.
- Yozora/Sena is also rather popular.
- Kodaka and Kobato is strangely popular too, even though they're siblings. Maybe it's the blonde hair, like Kodaka/Sena.
- Kodaka/Yukimura spent some time in this slot.
- Fountain of Memes: Rika.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Stella gave Kodaka and Sena a condom! How hilarious! Then in the Connect extras it's revealed that Stella is the end result of a teenage pregnancy from a fling Pegasus had in high school and one realises that she might actually have been genuinely concerned that her little half-sister could suffer a similar fate.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Sena and Yozora are both unpleasant people who don't give much consideration to others, and can often be outright intentionally cruel, malicious, or vindictive. But you can't help but feel really sorry for them every time they accidentally say or do something that highlights that they're just really lonely people who want to make friends but don't know how. Well, that and they tend to suffer amusingly for their own behavior.
- Yozora's woobie status seems to kick into high gear at of the end of Volume 9, as the reasons for her dislike of romance and same-sex friendships are laid bare: Her mother's best friend betrayed her by having an affair with Yozora's father, so Yozora has a dysfunctional relationship with her father and her sister Hinata as the two took opposite sides in a bitter divorce. Needless to say, Sena's confession and Kodaka hiding out with the Student Council in Volume 8 didn't help, nor did her overhearing Kodaka and Rika's conversation at the end of the volume. Oh, and said mother has become such a bitter wreck that she once flipped out and stabbed her.
- Les Yay: There's something more to Yozora and Sena's relationship than their frequent squabbles would indicate. On Yozora's side, she believes nicknames are only for friends, even if it was as insulting as Sena's "Meat". On Sena's side, she confessed to Kodaka that she's secretly happy with her nickname because she has never been given one before. Then comes actual interaction: during the Beach Episode Sena was apparently enjoying Yozora rubbing her back with suntan with her feet, and also commented that Yozora, post-haircut, looks ridiculously handsome in a male school uniform. Not to mention Sena plastering her bedroom ceiling with pictures of Yozura and the shots of her smelling Yozura's wig with her hand between her legs!
- Moe: Kobato, Maria, and Sena
- Memetic Mutation:
- One True Threesome: People who aren't just satisfied with Kodaka/Sena tend to add Kobato to the mix. The results, if in any way canon-inspired, tend to be hilarious.
- Ship-to-Ship Combat: In parts of the vast reaches of the internet, there's a battle between those who'd prefer to see Kodaka with Yozora, and others who would rather see him with Sena. The other girls are largely relegated to Demoted to Extra status in this regard. Amusingly, Kodaka himself keeps letting it slip that Rika is really his type (or would be with a better personality, but that goes for all the girls). He ultimately admits to the girls that he's not comfortable dating any of them because he just can't bring himself to alter the group dynamic like that.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: Occasionally you can hear in the background something suspiciously similar to the Imperial March.
YMMV / Haganai