- One can say that Haganai is a deconstruction of harem series:
- Yozora, the "snarky" character, is just mean and misanthropic.
- Sena, the perfect superhuman school idol, is self-centered, near-universally disliked for it, and is socially incompetent as a result.
- Sena and Rika are otaku surrogates, and the others consider the otaku behavior to be creepy.
- Yukimura, the guy who looks weirdly girly, really is a girl, and her gender confusion says disquieting things about the way she was raised.
- Kobato, the chuunibyou character, is a kid, because kids act like that.
- Maria, the "unusually intelligent child", isn't necessarily more mature or sensible.
- Kodaka is your dense harem lead archetype who's revealed to be simply faking being the archetype for personal reasons.
- It's worth noting that Rika is the exception; her loveable sex maniac trait gives way to her more serious side. On the other hand, Kodaka is notably freaked out by it often enough. In a less serious series, no one would bat an eye at it.
Analysis / Haganai