- Awesome Music: "You're Only Second Rate" gets a lot of praise for giving Jafar his own Villain Song, as well as being amazingly catchy in its own right.
- Broken Base: Is this movie an alarming symbol of Sequelitis, being a useless sequel made only for Disney to milk the cash cow that the original movie was? Or is it a solid, well-written sequel that suffered mostly from the appallingly tight animation budget? Both opinions dwell on the Internet.
- Franchise Original Sin: The first of Disney's infamous line of cheapquels, with the crippling budget issues that come with it. While this film could be excused as a Pilot Movie for the animated series, its successors would more explicitly try to pass themselves off as "true" sequels to their Disney Animated Canon counterparts, and sully their reputation as a result.
- He Really Can Act: Gilbert Gottfried shows a greater range of emotion than before when playing Iago, particularly when he expresses guilt and remorse.
- Narm Charm: The quality of the script in the Swedish dub can get more than a little odd at times, especially during Jafar's Villain Song, but it ends up working mostly thanks to his voice actor's bombastic delivery.
- Sequelitis: Debated, as seen in the Broken Base entry. Its detractors often invoke the fact that Robin Williams didn't reprise his role as the Genie, and complain about the ridiculously off-model Limited Animation used in some scenes.
- Tear Jerker:
- When it seemed like Iago made a Heroic Sacrifice, and everyone's reaction as Aladdin holds his seemingly lifeless body.
- Earlier than that, poor Aladdin must've been devastated to see (Imposter) Jasmine sentence him to death, believing he really did kill her father in order to ascend to the throne.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!:
- The absence of Robin Williams as the Genie was a glaring omission for many, even for those who think Dan Castelleneta put up a good effort to replicate him. Even Dan himself thought the shoes were too big to fill.
- Averted in the Swedish dub where Bo Maniette voiced Jafar instead of Mikael Samuelson as Bo is generally held as being a better fit for role of Jafar.
- Uncanny Valley: The animation in the first half gives the characters some creepy facial expressions, especially the Genie.
YMMV / Aladdin: The Return of Jafar