A woman named Diane is picking the final American track and field champion, when Shaggy and Scooby run by, trying to escape a monster attack. Once Fred catches the monster, Diane approaches Shaggy, telling him that he unofficially broke a world record. She brings him and the gang along to the 2012 London Olympics, with Scooby-Doo as his trainer. When they arrive, they meet Steve Looker, the American pole vaulting champion, for whom Daphne immediately falls. This causes Fred to get jealous, and lie about being a pole vaulter himself, which is overheard and earns him a spot in the games.
Unfortunately, with the gang comes a monster mystery, as a statue of Fortius, one of the first Olympic champions, comes to life and begins terrorizing the games. Diane reveals that another reason she invited the gang is that she was afraid this would happen, as the statue is cursed, or something.
Scooby-Doo! Spooky Games provides examples of:
- Accidental Athlete: Shaggy becomes an excellent runner when scared out of his mind.
- Always Someone Better: Steve Looker. Fred was originally jealous of him, but they soon become friends.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs:Shaggy: Why can't tracks ever lead somewhere good? Like a beach.Scooby: Or a picnic.Both: Or a beach picnic!
- Covers Always Lie: The statue of Fortius is actually gold, not silver.
- Large Ham:Fortius: You can run, but Fortius can run faster!
- Living Statue: The conflict revolves around the Fortius statue coming to life and attacking the athletes.
- Man in the Machine: Jack Riggins was controlling a robot of Fortius.
- Meaningful Name: Steve Looker is quite the looker.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Igor and Sergei are Russian athletes who are very brawny.
- Mythology Gag: The New Scooby-Doo Movies episode "The Spirited Spooked Sports Show" (with Tim Conway) had the same premise—Shaggy becoming a fast competitive runner when he's scared.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Steve Looker is named for the Australian pole vaulter Steve Hooker.
- Off-Model: Fortius is about as big as buildings, but when he attacks the gang, hes only just larger than a jeep.
- The Olympics: The story takes place at the 2012 London Olympics.
- Trademark Favorite Food: When Jack Riggins isnt holding a microphone, theres usually an ice cream cone in its place.