City of Trees is a webcomic created by artist CrimsonnReign. Set in a fictionalized Boise, Idaho, the story follows Ophidian Cael, a secretive dragon who meets and falls in love with a young knight. Many other characters of various magical races fill the large supporting cast. The story blends together romance, mystery, slice of life, and fantasy-adventure elements.
City of Trees was originally launched in December of 2017 as Sacrifice, a fancomic inspired by The Mortal Instruments. A few months later, the creators announced they were transitioning to a fully original story titled Of Knights and Dragons. Pages were redrawn as many character names and races were altered, and the setting was changed. One most notable changes involved the character of Ophidian being switched from a warlock to a dragon, with the pattern of scales on his body redesigned.
In November 2018, the webcomic was renamed City of Trees, likely as a reference to the fact that the setting, Boise, Idaho, is nicknamed "The City of Trees."
City of Trees provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe: The first page of the webcomic features popular locations in downtown Boise, Idaho, though the story quickly introduces magic and magical begins.
- Animesque: The art style of City of Trees draws clear inspiration from early-2000's anime and manga.
- Cast From Hitpoints: Certain beings with magical abilities, like witches, use their own energy when casting magic. It is possible for a magic user to overexert themselves, with potentially deadly consequences.
- Establishing Character Moment: In Ophidian's first appearance, he is at a club flirting with a male vampire. Jasper's grand entrance involves his sword pointed at a werewolf's throat.
- Fantastic Racism: A ride share driver initially refuses let Ophidian into his car after learning he's a dragon.Kevin: No way. A bleeding dragon is the last thing I need in my car tonight.
- Halloween Cosplay: In October 2018, several City of Trees updates included sketches of characters dressed in Halloween costumes. Most notably, Malik and Emil were dressed as the Beast and a genderbent Belle from Beauty and the Beast.
- Healing Hands: Malik, a certified cleric, is seen alleviating the pain from a wound in Ophidian's leg with magic cast from his hands. It is implied that he later heals Ophidian's leg through the same method, though this is not show to the readers.
- Little Bit Beastly: Dragons are largely human in appearance, save for eyes that glow in the dark and patches of brightly colored scales on their bodies.
- Older Than They Look: Many magical character have much longer lives.Amir: Seriously, Jas, he probably only looks fifteen. I bet you anything he's really older than this whole city.
- Our Fairies Are Different: Fae come in many forms, though they stand out as industry titans, having replaced iron in this world with a faerie-friendly material from their wold called "titanium."
- Pointy Ears: Fae characters are featured with classic pointed ears.
- Rotating Protagonist: The main focus of the story alternates mainly between Ophidian and Jasper, though other supporting characters can also be the protagonist of a scene.
- Shipper on Deck: Amir and Emil both encourage Ophidian and Jasper's relationship.
- Unsound Effect: When Jasper leaps over a bar, the word GRACEFULLY appears in cursive font to demonstrate his agility.
- Urban Fantasy: Set in a city with magical elements.
- Visible Silence: When Emil finds Ophidian standing in the hallway of their apartment with a stranger and a bleeding leg, floating ellipses emphasize the shocked silence.
- White Mage: Malik is a registered cleric who heals Ophidian's wounded leg with magic.