Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot is a series of six webisodes that serves both as a spin-off to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and as a prequel to Season 4 of the show. It was released online on December 13th, 2016 as part of the winter break. It stars Natalia Cordova-Buckley as the Inhuman/Secret Warrior Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez as the protagonist, with the main characters of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson, Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May, Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz, Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons, Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mack" MacKenzie, and Jason O'Mara as Director Jeffrey Mace) as supporting characters.
Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez is about to sign the Sokovia Accords and officially become a S.H.I.E.L.D. asset; however, in signing the Accords, she forfeits her right to pick and choose her own assignments and there is one assignment in particular that she wants: to stop Victor Ramón, a Colombian arms dealer who killed Elena's cousin.
There are a total of six webisodes, and each is three to six minutes long:
Tropes that are part of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot:
- The Bus Came Back: Victor Ramón first appeared in "Bouncing Back" as a member of the corrupt policía of Colombia. It's his actions in that episode (killing Elena's cousin) that make Elena want to find him in this series.
- Call-Back: The glowing machine that Victor Ramón steals is the same device that Coulson's team found in "0-8-4" and that Garrett stole and was eventually killed with by Coulson in "Beginning of the End."
- Call-Forward: Yo-Yo puts the idea in Simmons' mind of getting an apartment outside of S.H.I.E.L.D. Simmons takes to it, with her saying "Perhaps a breakfast nook?" In a Season 4 episode set after the events of this series, "Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire," Simmons was apartment hunting, specifically one with a breakfast nook.
- A Day in the Limelight: A secondary/ensemble character in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Elena Rodríguez gets the primary focus in this web series.
- Dodge the Bullet: Yo-Yo is a speedster, so she easily dodges the energy blast that one of the Watchdogs fires on her...but Victor Ramón doesn't.
- Do Wrong, Right: May is mainly annoyed that Yo-Yo was sloppy when she broke the rules.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him!: Yo-Yo wants to shoot Ramón, but stops. He still ends up dead due to the device he was trying to sell to the Watchdogs.
- Ludicrous Gibs: What the glowing device does to people. It did it to John Garrett and it did it in this series to Victor Ramon.
- Super Speed: Yo-Yo's superpower is moving so fast that nobody can see her.
- Whole Episode Flashback: The web series begins after the winter finale when Daisy is back at S.H.I.E.L.D. and no longer a fugitive, but it flashes back to before the first episode of the fourth season, when she was just starting out as vigilante and Coulson and Mack to assigned to find her.