VS Sunday is a Friday Night Funkin' Game Mod created by bbpanzu, who also created VS Sky and VS Carol and is one of the coders of Friday Night Funkin' Minus. This mod is notable for being the first mod to include a fully-animated and voiced cutscene, the first to include heavy metal music, and the first to include an anti-piracy screen.
After a day of golfing, Girlfriend, Carol and Boyfriend arrive at Carol's house, the former two going off to watch Hamilton while Boyfriend is told to get comfy. Not bothering to look before sitting, he accidentally sits on Carol's housemate, a sleepy Latino rockstar called Sunday, who then realizes Boyfriend is, well, Girlfriend's Boyfriend.
Sunday asks Boyfriend for a favor - their band is performing tonight, but Sunday's co-vocalist broke their pelvis and now the band needs a new one. Boyfriend accepts, but he better be ready for a loud metal showdown!
This mod provides examples of:
- Amicable Exes: bbpanzu has stated that Carol and Sunday used to date, and while why they broke up has yet to be revealed, they're still friends and housemates, even with Sunday's political views and dislike of Hamilton.
- Bait-and-Switch: "Valentine" begins with Sunday wrapped in their green blanket, seemingly dozing off as they bop while a music box lullaby plays. But then comes the first note, where they let out a Metal Scream as the stage starts flashing. They also inexplicably lose their blanket.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In "Marx", Sunday mentions the lyrics to the song are edgy and political, so they'll just sing the vowels for "the player's sake", and that the actual lyrics to the song can be found in the data folders.Sunday: "lyrics? oh yea u can find them in the assets/data/marx folder i guess."Sunday: "they're kinda edgy and political so i think i'll stick to vowels for the player's sake."
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Sunday may look like they only care about sleeping and dreaming about being a massive Marxist, but as the lead vocalist of a heavy metal band, they can, and will, get loud at the drop of a hat, with a fairly high-pitched yell. When they're on the mic, you'd better get ready for your ears to pop!
- Digital Piracy Is Okay: If the game detects to be running on an HTML (say, KBH Games), you'll be greeted to this screen where the player is told that they're okay for playing a cracked version of the mod, simply asking to download it from Gamebanana when they get the chance. The game is not frozen to this screen, and you can actually press the Enter key to exit from this screen and continue on.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The original version of the mod took place in the stage of Week 1 rather than in Carol's garage. Sunday themself had a smaller Idiot Hair and was always wrapped in their blanket. Girlfriend was also present in that version. Their design during the preview for "Valentine" in the newer version also had a lighter skin tone, though this was a mistake and later reverted.
- Eyes Always Shut: Most of the time Sunday's eyes are closed, befitting their Sleepy Head nature.
- Hammerspace Hair: During the opening cutscene, Girlfriend puts Carol's golf club inside her hair.
- Immediate Sequel: VS. Sunday takes place a short while after Golf Minigame, another mod bbpanzu made where Boyfriend and Girlfriend go golfing with Carol.
- Interface Screw: During portions of "Marx", Sunday will play their guitar, turning the note chart for both them and Boyfriend into charts styled after Guitar Hero.
- Musicalis Interruptus: "Marx" ends with Carol telling Sunday and Boyfriend to tone it down.
- Mythology Gag: The Teaser starts with Carol and Girlfriend getting back from playing some golf, referencing a spinoff mod for Carol involving golfing. They're even wearing the same outfits from said mod.
- Non Sequitur: In the teaser trailer of this mod, Sunday throws a quote said by Karl Marx ("One can only stay wealthy under the exploitation of the working class.") in response to Carol's question of if they want to come golfing with Girlfriend and Boyfriend.
- Secret Level: A cover of "Madness" from The Tricky Mod can be played on Freeplay mode.
- Sensory Abuse: For most of "Valentine", the background flashes in multiple colors. It happens again in the other two songs, but the flashing lights in those songs aren't as long lasting. There is an option to turn this off at any time in the options menu as well as before entering the main menu from the title screen for the first time.
- Sleepy Head: Sunday sleeps a lot, Carol mentioning how they went on about "historical materialism" before falling asleep on the sink, and is introduced proper asleep on the couch at four in the afternoon. The beginning of "Valentine" has them dozing off, and there are little sleep bubbles next to their head in both of their right poses.
- Special Guest: Carol appears in the opening cutscene, returning home with Girlfriend after a long day of golf as they converse about Sunday. She appears again at the end of "Marx", telling Sunday and Boyfriend to keep it down.
- Suddenly Speaking: Boyfriend, who is usually depicted as either mute or speaking in beep-boops, speaks in English during the opening cutscene.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: Sunday sings loudly throughout all three songs, especially during "Valentine", and the speakers playing the music are pretty loud as well, so is it any wonder Carol walks into the garage and asks Sunday to keep it down?
- The Teaser: A fully-animated and voiced cutscene explaining why Boyfriend and Sunday are battling each other to begin with plays before the cutscene for "Valentine".
- Written-In Absence: While she does appear in the opening cutscene, Girlfriend is nowhere to be found in the actual levels; this is due to her watching Hamilton with Carol, which the latter suggests in the opening cutscene.