This pinball is a tie-in to the blockbuster superhero movie of 2012; specifically, it is based on the movie's second act, with Loki causing mischief aboard the SHIELD Helicarrier. The Avengers wish to interrogate Loki to find out what his plans are, but along the way they must deal with a damaging attack on the carrier, Loki's doppelgängers, a fight between Thor and the Hulk, and more. If the player manages to Assemble the team, a four-ball multiball mode begins, providing opportunities to rack up additional points and extra balls.
This pinball game demonstrates the following tropes:
- Airborne Aircraft Carrier: The game takes place on the SHIELD Heiicarrier.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The "Repair the Engines" mission.
- Anti-Frustration Feature: The game has a very generous Ball Saver timer, doubly so if Captain America's ball is being used.
- Cain and Abel: The "Thor vs. Loki" mission.
- Chewing the Scenery: All of the substitute voice actors do it to some degree, but Captain America and Loki are the most egregious violators.
- Cool Plane: The Quinjet.
- Evil Is Hammy: Loki.
- It's Raining Men: If you start Quinjet Multiball, the jet flies overhead, dropping the locked balls onto the playfield.
- The Leader: Captain America, appropriately enough. Not only does he give instructions to the player, but using his ball increases the Ball Saver duration to represent improved morale.
- Licensed Pinball Table
- Logo Joke: Iron Man can be seen on the right side of the playfield fiddling with various computer screens, one of which displays the Marvel Comics logo.
- Not Quite Starring: The Avengers' replacement voice actors, especially those for Captain America and the Hulk. Might veer into Narm or So Bad, It's Good for the comically inclined.
- Plot Tailored to the Party: The game has a different pinball for each member of the Avengers; different characters provide different benefits and bonuses.
- Skill Shot: Shoot the flashing rollover lane for a point bonus.
- Spelling Bonus: "TRICK ARROW" lights the kickback, "SHIELD" lights the SHIELD target, and completing "ASSEMBLE" enables the Wizard Mode.
- Super Team
- Unwinnable by Mistake: Starting the "Assemble" Wizard Mode after draining a single ball mode, non-Ball 3, causes the game to lock itself in the Skill Shot phase. A forced restart is required; not even tilting the game can save unfortunate players.
- Wizard Mode: "Avengers Assemble", a four-ball multiball mode.