Sonic Inflation Adventure is a trilogy of fan games released on Newgrounds that parody the Sonic fanbase. Created by Jimberly-Chaotic, this trilogy of visual novels were made to poke fun at the average Sonic crack fic. Most notably, it makes fun of some of the more bizarre parts of the fanbase that like to like to draw the characters taking part in their favorite fetishes. Of course, comparisons have been drawn to Sonic Dreams Collection: a fangame that does something similar. As the title suggests, it particularly focuses on one fetish: body inflation (the fetish of seeing someone inflated like a balloon).
The original game saw you waking up in the body of Sonic in the franchise's universe. You then receive a call from Knuckles, who invites you to come over to his nightclub and party with chicks. There, you come across Rouge the Bat and Amy Rose where you get the option to ask either one of them to have sex with you. Afterwards, you have one of them take part in your inflation fetish and have them being inflated with air by some crazy means of biological impossibility. Unfortunately, you accidentally over inflate them leading to them bursting like a balloon. Now you as Sonic are put on trial with Shadow as the judge and Eggman as the prosecutor and you must defend yourself using a system that references the Ace Attorney franchise heavily.
Sonic Inflation Adventure 2 Battle, the sequel, was even more out there. Its plot saw you looking for Shadow (presumably for revenge due to the court case scene) in a bar and coming across Cream's hot mom Vanilla. History repeats itself and you end up accidentally killing Vanilla. Now you're on the run from the law.
End of Sonic Inflation Adventure starts out with the same inflation madness that the first two do until you realize that the events of the previous two games were nothing but a dream and you're actually a normal person with a sucky job at the office. It goes from there into some dark commentary on how discontent people are with their lives in normal society.
Overall, the series is very NSFW, though it's not pornographic. It mercilessly tears into both the more unpleasant parts of the Sonic fanbase and DeviantArt and it does so in a way that makes Sonic Dreams Collection seem downright modest in comparison. As a result, the series is rather divisive being praised as a masterpiece (especially the last one) by some and looked down upon as a horrible piece of trash by others. The fact that the creator is a massive troll makes everything all the more interesting.
This series of fan-made visual novels provide examples of:
- Adaptational Heroism: The rather self-centered, anti-heroic Shadow is a judge in court for some reason. Admittedly, he's probably not the most honorable judge considering how rigged the court case with Sonic was. In his favor though, it was completely obvious that Sonic was responsible for the crimes.
- While we're at it, the franchise's Big Bad Eggman also gets this. Instead of an evil overlord, he's a prosecutor working against Sonic's crimes and seems to be legitimately disgusted by what Sonic does. It is however hinted in game that he isn't all that heroic since it's been mentioned that he's still sending robots to attack people.
- Adaptational Villainy: Sonic big time (though admittedly, he does feel guilt when they go a little too far). Justified by the fact that this isn't the real Sonic, it's you in Sonic's body.
- Knuckles, for some reason, is a lot more malicious with him fully intent on killing Sonic. Admittedly, he had every right to be mad with Sonic for getting him in jail, but flat out threatening to kill him along with dialogue implying that he's been raping Sonic every night is a far cry from the much nicer Echidna we're used to.
- Anti-Villain: This version of Knuckles who spends most of the series wanting to kill Sonic. This is justified due to Sonic being such a dick to him.
- Big Bad: Knuckles serves as the most active antagonist working against Sonic.
- Black Comedy: Pretty much every comedic scene in the series is this. As a matter of fact, for the first two games, almost every scene is this.
- Bloodless Carnage: Surprisingly, while blood is shown in the game, the goriest scenes of girls exploding like balloons feature no blood. This makes them no less horrifying.
- Body Horror: The horrifying deaths of the females in this series who get overinflated. They pop like a balloon.
- The Casanova: This Sonic is apparently a sex crazed maniac who only cares about having girls fulfill his sexual fantasies.
- Crapsack World: We don't see much of the Sonic Inflation verse but from what little we've seen, it has nearly all of the colorful Sonic characters acting as jerks, sex maniacs or drug dealers. On top of that, it's hinted that Eggman is still doing his overlord thing.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even Eggman is disturbed by the sick murders of Amy and Vanilla (though with the former, it's hinted he has feelings for her).
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sonic himself is rather shocked whenever he accidentally kills someone even though he's shown to be a pervert through most of the game.
- Self-Insert Fic: Parodied and deconstructed. The game sees you waking up in the body of Sonic but then proceeds to deconstruct this by having you get into trouble every time you try to do something the average author of self-insert fics would do if they were in the body of their favorite fictional character. The third game is pretty much one big long middle finger to self-insert fic writers.
- Sequel Escalation: Sonic Inflation Adventure 2 Battle is a bit longer than the first and features a lot more to do.
- Shout-Out: End of Sonic Inflation Adventure as one for the End of Evangelion.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Almost the entire cast sans the females. Knuckles and Sonic are especially a good example.
- Villain Protagonist: As a way of flipping self-insert fics, the main character doing whatever he wants in the body of Sonic is shown to be detestable from the points of views of the other Sonic characters.