SkiFree is a Windows 3.1 game in which players control a skier down an endless Obstacle Ski Course until they get bored or are eaten by man-eating Abominable Snow Monsters that run at 10 m/s and do not know fear.
A 32-bit version is available on the programmer's Web site. See also the other wiki's entry. In 2020, Microsoft released a Spiritual Successor called Edge Surf or just Surf as an Easter Egg in their Microsoft Edge web browser.
This game provides examples of:
- The Bad Guy Wins: Unless you decide to quit the game beforehand, you will get caught by the Abominable Snow Monster.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: "Abominable Snow Monsters"
- Border Patrol: After you've travelled far enough in any direction, an extremely fast yeti will chase you down, swallow you whole, pick its teeth with your ski pole, and jump up and down in sadistic triumph. The player can keep ahead of it by entering Fast Mode with the F key, in which case the course loops around and yeti will hound you for the rest of your days.
- Endless Game: Only boredom and death await those who ski free.
- Game-Over Man: The abominable snow monster, especially as he jumps up and down victoriously over eating you.
- Guide Dang It!: Using the F key to go faster (and avoid the abominable snow monster).
- You can also pause the game and press T to advance frame-by-frame, which (combined with fast mode) makes it trivial to evade the monsters indefinitely.
- Happy Dance: As noted, the abominable snow monster does a villainous version of this upon catching and eating you.
- Invincible Villain: You can't kill the abominable snow monster.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: The abominable monster can easily get at you if you're stunned from hitting a obstacle.
- Obstacle Ski Course: The whole point of the game. There are jumps, rocks, trees, chairlift support towers, other skiers, dogs, etc...
- One-Book Author: This remains the only released game by Chris Pirih.
- Toilet Humor: Occasionally, skiing into a dog will cause it to relieve itself.
- Troll: The yeti's aforementioned jump up and down in sadistic triumph, which gives vibes of "HAHAHAHA! I JUST KILLED YOU! NGYAHAHAHA! YOU SUCK!" (And there's no way for you to kill him either). He's seriously matching the Duck Hunt Dog for that.