In Anomaly: Warzone Earth, humanity was caught in the crossfire of an alien war in 2018. We managed to repel the hostile forces... or did we?
It's now 2034. Earth's average temperature is down to -8.7F, the human population has been severely reduced, and the machines rule the planet. You''ve been placed in charge of a surviving military convoy dispatched to find Dr Zander, a scientist who is working on a weapon called Project Shockwave that could turn the tide of the war.
Anomaly 2 is the sequel to Anomaly: Warzone Earth. The gameplay is mostly the same as the first one, though now all of your available units have the ability to transform; thus, each unit now can perform in more than one role, and some new combat abilities replace the old ones. Its big draw, however, is its asymmetric multiplayer mode where 2 players battle each other: one as the convoys, and another as the towers. Both sides have different units and abilities and resource gathering, and must research in order to unlock more advanced units to beat the other side.
The game was released on 16 May 2013 on Steam.
This game contains examples of:
- Apocalypse How: On the new scale, somewhere between a Planetary Class 2 and a Planetary Class 3 (what would have been a Class 3A on the old scale).
- Bittersweet Ending: both endings cast long shadows on humanity's recovery and future after the defeat of the Machines but are not without optimism.
- Came Back Strong: The alien machines, naturally.
- Crapsack World: What Earth is reduced to, with the machines taking over.
- Darker and Edgier: With such setting, it's a given.
- Downer Beginning: The fights in the first episode were for naught, the Machines have decimated humanity and reduced Earth to a frozen wasteland. At the end of the introductory mission, the original commander dies.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Poise and the 14th are killed, but they manage to send the data that will be essential to turn the tides of the war a few years later.
- Intro-Only Point of View: The first mission has you play as another group of soldiers, in a mission (set in 2028, before the main story) concerning the retrieval of Project Shockwave's data from a research station. You play as the character from the original game, and you and your platoon are wiped out at the end of the mission. Doubles as Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome.
- No Name Given: Averted, both your character and the late commander of 14th Platoon, original game's player character are both named: Simon Lynx and Captain Poise
- Oh, Crap!: Happened to a character when he realized the scorchers can now fire sideways.
- Transforming Mecha: All of the human units qualify, and their roles change depending upon which form they take.