- AFI's 100 Years
- #57, "The Windmills Of Your Mind"
- The Cast Showoff: Steve McQueen shows off his driving skills in the dune buggy scene.
- Creator's Favorite Episode: Steve McQueen named this as his favourite film of his own.
- Enforced Method Acting: According to Norman Jewison, the initial bank robbery was filmed at the downtown branch of the National Shawmut Bank, and that although the guards and bank officials knew what was going on, the customers did not because the filmmakers were using a concealed camera. Although they apparently thought that a real robbery was occurring, none of the customers or pedestrians interfered in any way.
- No Stunt Double: Steve McQueen did his own stunts, which included playing polo and driving a dune buggy at high speed along the Massachusetts coastline.
- Playing Against Type: Steve McQueen as a suave playboy.
- The Red Stapler: The "Persol" sunglasses Steve McQueen sported in this movie generated such a trendsetting image, the Italian manufacturers re-issued the foldaway, retro-cool tortoiseshell "714" model as a part of the "Steve McQueen Collection"
- What Could Have Been:
- Sean Connery was the original choice for Thomas Crown, but declined, exhausted from filming You Only Live Twice. He later regretted the decision. Richard Burton, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Rock Hudson and Paul Newman were also considered.
- Brigitte Bardot, Candice Bergen, Julie Christie, Vanessa Redgrave, Eva Marie Saint, Sharon Tate and Raquel Welch were all considered for Vicki Anderson.
- Norman Jewison wanted Henry Mancini to score the film, but he was unavailable.
- "Windmills of Your Mind" was supposed to be sung by Andy Williams.
- The song during the glider scene was originally "Strawberry Fields Forever" by The Beatles.
- Working Title: Thomas Crown, Esquire, The Crown Caper and Thomas Crown and Company.
Trivia / The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)