Produced in the vein of Jersey Shore (i.e. a reality show featuring a niche subculture of people in a seaside setting over one summer) and The Real World, Fire Island follows the lives of six gay men sharing a summer house on —you guessed it— Fire Island, New York.
Its cast includes: Khasan, a choreographer and backup dancer; Jorge, a doctor from Venezeula and Khasan's best friend; Cheyenne, a model; Patrick, a bartender who lives on the Island; Justin, a graphic artist; and Brandon, a photographer and college student. Unsurprisingly, some of these personalities clash when thrown together.
Fire Island contains examples of the following tropes:
- All Gays Are Promiscuous / Everybody Is Single: Oddly averted — Patrick and Brandon are the only housemates who don't have a boyfriend when they enter the house. Even then, Brandon starts seeing someone by the end of the first season, and Patrick has a vaguely romantic connection with one of his friends, which he denies being that way.
- Big Beautiful Man: Justin, who is the cast's requisite bear.
- Camp Gay: Patrick is the only outright flamboyant member of the cast, even entering a drag queen competition at one point.
- Cast Full of Gay: Naturally, given that it's a reality show set in the gay community on Fire Island.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: Jorge's behavior when Khasan's boyfriend comes to visit.
- Funny Foreigner: Jorge has moments of acting this way, as the only housemate who isn't originally from the United States.
- It's All About Me: Patrick and Cheyenne often accuse one another of being selfish, which causes plenty of tension between them.
- Long-Distance Relationship: Jorge's boyfriend still lives in Venezuela, which causes a strain in their relationship.
- Naïve Newcomer / The Twink: Brandon is the youngest member of the cast, and his young age is often discussed by the housemates. He's easily the twinkiest of the housemates, but doesn't perfectly fit the trope.
- Platonic Life-Partners: Jorge and Khasan insist they're this, though many have pointed out that Jorge may or may not have feelings for Khasan.
- Pretty Boy: Cheyenne is a professional model.
- Weight Woe: Justin's primary character arc in the first season, which culminates in him accepting his status as a bear and feeling comfortable enough in his body to wear a Speedo.
- Where Everybody Knows Your Flame: The show treats the entirety of Fire Island as this, which is a slight exaggeration. (To be fair, the place is literally called Fire Island.)