Lisa is put on anti-depressants after reading Internet reports that Springfield will be a barren wasteland in 50 years. Meanwhile, Bart and Milhouse's friendship is, once again, strained, thanks to a girl named Jenny (voiced by Anne Hathaway).
- Bait-and-Switch: At the end, Bart is seen offering someone flowers and asking for forgiveness. He was talking to Milhouse.
- Black Comedy Animal Cruelty: Via subtitled squeaks, we learn that Bart once filled a dolphin tank with 7-Up.
- Driven to Suicide: One of the Internet reports on what Springfield will be in 50 years mentions the last polar bear hanging itself in prison.
- Gigantic Gulp: Bart drowns his sorrows with a 512-ounce Squishee (that's 32 lbs, or 14 kg).
- Hope Spot: After Bart reveals to Jenny about the lies, it looks like she is going to forgive Bart as she smiles...only to frown and dump Bart.
- Humiliation Conga: In additional to being exposed as the "Ay, Carumba" kid by Milhouse before Jenny, Bart is seen crying back home after she dumps him.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Lisa acknowledges the Two Lines, No Waiting structure of the episode at the climax.Lisa: Bart, in my concurrent adventure I learned a really important lesson.
- Mushroom Samba: Lisa starts seeing smiley faces everywhere once she's on the pills. It reaches the point where Marge catches Lisa almost ready to make out with an electric fan.
- Take That!: To Shrek the Third. Apu promotes a Shrek Squishee contest, where if you answer the trivia correctly, you get a 10% discount off any Shrek DVD, except the first two films.
- Tempting Fate: Milhouse rings the Simpsons' doorbell right after Jenny says nothing will change the good opinion she has about Bart.
- Third-Person Person: Shauna refers to herself in third person before explaining that she's Shauna.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Incredibly, Homer thinks Milhouse is this for Bart.Homer: Well, I'm glad they suspended Milhouse. He's a bad influence on you. (Homer sees El Barto graffiti, including an obvious Bart self-portrait) You know, I think Milhouse is El Barto...Hmmm.
- We Used to Be Friends: Milhouse and Bart have a heated discussion on this subject, with Bart invoking John Adams and Thomas Jefferson as an example of friends who just happen to stop talking to each other for a long time.Milhouse: Just because you saw one episode of one miniseries doesn't mean you get to use it as a whip!