The Cooper Extraction is the 11th episode of the 7th season of The Big Bang Theory.
Plot Synopsis: This episode is an anthological spoof of It's a Wonderful Life. Sheldon has to go to Texas to tend to his heavily pregnant sister (Missy). Meanwhile, everyone else still in Pasadena ponder how their lives could have changed.
The Cooper Extraction contains examples of:
- Alternate Timeline: This episode indulges in alternate timelines, none of them being shown to be better than the current universe the show is in.
- Big Eater: Raj imagines that if it weren't for Penny, Leonard would be lonely and single and eat his way into severe obesity because there wouldn't be anyone to see him naked. But of course Raj would be fat too for the same reasons. They live together in Raj's apartment and eat very unhealthy. Then Stuart pops up and it turns out he's obese too.
- Christmas Episode
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In the "Leonard's Fat" timeline, you can see a really obese Batman on the cover of the comic book Leonard's reading.
- It's a Wonderful Plot: Invoked. Inspired by Bernadette bringing It's a Wonderful Life to watch, the others imagine what life would be like if Sheldon was never born and also what if the 7 characters never discovered each other.
- Ms. Fanservice: Penny in one scenario strips down to her underwear to flirt with Sheldon in a universe where Leonard isn't around.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: In Amy's scenario, Penny tries to seduce Sheldon, but he doesn't take, saying he's saving himself for "a cute, bespectacled neurobiologist with hair the color of mud."
- Nutritional Nightmare: In one fantasy, Leonard and Raj while living together eat huge quantities of fattening food to fill in their loneliness (in this universe, they never met Bernadette or Penny). They indulge in an entire cake for breakfast and a whole turkey (chicken?), ham and lots of large sides such as mashed potatoes for dinner.
- One-Person Birthday Party: In one scenario, Amy is weeping and singing to herself the Happy Birthday song with just one cupcake because she's still lonely and didn't meet Sheldon.... so she's with Stuart.
- Potty Failure: In Penny's scenario, Leonard pees himself trying to ask her out at the Cheesecake Factory. As payback, Leonard has Penny and her boyfriend Zack pee themselves in his scenario.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Sheldon's mother (Mary) seems a lot more aggressive and demanding towards her son than usual forcing him to do disgusting, unbearable work treating a highly pregnant Missy screaming in pain.
- What If?: The episode is about the cast imagining what other directions this show could have gone in.