After realizing that there's nothing to going to school and later living a 9-5 life, Gumball invites Idaho (a potato who lives in the country) to teach the family about living a simple life.
- An Aesop: We all have our own way of living our lives and some people can't handle other peoples' ways.
- Binge Montage: Gumball and Idaho go through one after he convinces Idaho to try his type of life. They even use a beer bong for soda that Idaho immediately spits out and Idaho gets baked in the oven.
- Carnivore Confusion: Idaho (a potato) asks Richard what the French fries he's about to eat are. When Richard asks, Idaho confirms he is a potato, so Richard throws the fries out the window and changes the subject. Later Idaho begins to eat the French fries that he was baked with when he parties with Gumball.
- Color Failure:
- Anais and Darwin are so shocked by all of Richard's insane driving that their colors are get splattered over the car's interior. Once the trip is over, they attempt to wipe them up and put them back on themselves.
- Idaho going into shock from all the junk food makes him turn gray.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Idaho.
- Dark Reprise: As Idaho appears to be dead, the Watterson's sing a mournful version of his song from earlier.
- Disney Death: Idaho appears to die and his parents even bury him. But he's a tuber, so it was actually just a "dirt bath" to treat him.
- Dissonant Serenity: While Richard is driving the car, doing things like driving off bridges and against traffic, he and Gumball hold a conversation about why he's even going to school.
- Glass-Shattering Sound: Richard's attempt to sing results in his buck tooth splitting in half diagonally, causing him to whistle whenever he talks for the rest of the scene.Anais: I hope the Tooth Fairy accepts change.
- Hypocritical Humor: Gumball makes everyone imitate Idaho's lifestyle, but is the first one to abandon it.Darwin: Then why did you force us to keep it up?
Gumball: Because I got principles! Just turns out I can't live by them.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: As Sal is holding up the convenience store again.Sal: Give me all your money! And don't try and call for help!
(Richard's car goes through the door and over Sal, leaving his lower half as a stain on the ground)
Sal: Call for help!
- Mundane Made Awesome: Gumball unplugs the TV and we get dramatic closeups of all the others shedding a Single Tear as a snippet of Lacrimosa plays.
- Ninja Prop: Nicole and Anais are sitting at a table, but it looks like the animators forgot to add their chairs. Except Gumball actually threw out their chairs, so they're sitting on thin air—mentioning this makes Anais fall down.
- Organ Autonomy: When Idaho says he gets nourishment from soil, Gumball tries eating some, prompting several organs to get in an argument.Tongue: Bah, this is disgusting, hey brain dude, can I spit?
Brain: Sorry tough guy, just man up and swallow it.
Stomach: What, me and my boys are not digesting that.
Small Intestine: Who are you calling boy stomach man, I'm five times the length of this body.
Unidentified, offscreen body part: Pfft, forget it intestine, pfft I'm tired off you, pfft always pfft blowing pfft hot air.
Heart: Come on guys, can't we learn to love each other?
- Plant Person: Idaho is a walking talking potato that eats by rubbing on or bathing in dirt. He can eat regular food but like any other plant is sent into shock.
- Punched Across the Room: Idaho challenges Darwin to wrestle, and he freaks out, forgets the enormous size difference, and kicks Idaho over the fence.
- Running Gag: The family car falling straight from the sky in front of a place followed by the GPS saying "You have reached your destination."
- Seesaw Catapult: Gumball tries to escape school by standing on one end of a seesaw while Hector stomps on the other. It sends Gumball straight up in the air, and he comes straight back down.
- The Simple Life Is Simple: The reason Gumball takes interest in Idaho's way of life.
- Suck Out the Poison: When a wasp stings his finger, Gumball takes Idaho's advise and sucks on it. Anais points out that's not how you treat a wasp sting and Gumball's lips swell up.
- Wild Teen Party: Gumball starts one alone in his own house one night, and then Idaho joins in.Gumball: (wakes up the next morning and inhales) Let's do it again!