Adam Nyerere Bahner (born May 21, 1982), better known as Tay Zonday, first gained fame in July 2007 for his original song "Chocolate Rain", the source of many an Internet meme.
Tay also has his own YouTube channel, host to several of his own homemade songs, and a Twitch channel where he plays online multiplayer games such as Team Fortress 2.
Tropes found in Tay Zonday's work:
- Adam Westing: Most notably in his "Cherry Chocolate Rain" video for Dr Pepper.
- He sings the Chocolate Rain parody in this Robot Chicken sketch, though it's technically sung by Count Chocula.
- Auto-Tune: Used in "Roll the Dice".
- Black and Nerdy: Some of the stuff he covers falls into this.
- He played Team Fortress 2 alongside CaptainSparklez for charity. Their opponents were from the Yogscast.
- He's appeared alongside Jacksfilms for Your Grammar Sucks, as well as "Take Off Your Clothes (Like Scarlett Johansson)".
- Deadpan Snarker: Best seen on YouTubers React. After he ended up watching someone doing the Knife Game Song, he dryly commented "I'm not gonna be covering this".
- Genre Savvy: Best shown on YouTubers React.
- Hidden Depths: He comes across as very smart and Genre Savvy when he's not singing. For further proof, see his music video on the US economy.
- Last-Second Word Swap: In his appearance on Dave Days "Baby" parody, he says "But I'm still getting laid...ies home phone numbers...", which Dave calls him out on.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Present in "Musicolio," where he sings all the backing vocals and plays all the instruments on his keyboard. In fact, he does it in most of his covers.
- Vocal Dissonance: He looks about 12 in the "Chocolate Rain" video, but has a rather deep voice. He was actually in his mid-20s when he wrote it.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Most of "Chocolate Rain" seems to be this. (In truth, it's a song about racial discrimination, with heavy use of metaphors.)
- Word Salad Title: "I wanted a catchy artist name that had zero search results on Google."