What could be the worst way for a masculine guy to be humiliated? Giving him a feminine makeover of course! Because Most Writers Are Male having a male (typically masculine) character who has the belief that Pink Is for Sissies or Girls Have Cooties forcing them to dress up femininely is the most effective way to torment them. A common scenario of this is, if the guy happens to show up at an all-girls Slumber Party, the girls could capture him and give him one heck of a makeover, with the guy suffering of course (unless of course the guy secretly enjoys it).
This can apply to tomboy girls (like the Unwillingly Girly Tomboy) as well but not as often as guys.
- In a Sun and Moon episode of the Pokémon anime, the class are sent on a work exchange at the Pokemon Center. After Ash obliviously puts on the female nurse outfit, the girls add makeup and a wig to the mix.
- The seventh episode of Rumiko Takahashi's gender-flipping series Ranma ½ sees the three Tendo daughters corner Ranma in his girl form, and compel him to dress in increasingly frilly outfits. Having been male most of his life, Ranma objects vehemently to this. Played for Laughs, of course, and magnified by Genma Saotome, who is astonished that his son could be thusly humiliated (Ranma has a Wouldn't Hit a Girl ethic, which curtails his defenses). Soun Tendo is mortified that his chaste daughters own such scandalous outfits.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has Grumpy being forced into not only washing but also wearing feminine ribbons by the other dwarfs. Though this is a rare example where other guys are doing the torment.
- During the final battle in Beauty and the Beast one guy ends up getting a makeover by a hairbrush and comb (dressed in a skirt, high heels, lipstick, etc.) while fighting the Wardrobe, causing him to scream and retreat.
- Even Stevens in the episode "Secret World of Girls". After Beans snitches on Louis and the other guys they run away but Louis gets captured by his sister Ren and the other girls and forced into a makeover.
- In Game on a Canadian series on YTV, features an episode with the main character Toby being blackmailed by his younger sister into letting her and her friends give him a makeover.
- Outof Jimmys Head in the episode "Sleepover". Jimmy and his friend Craig are spying on a sleepover his sister is having but are found out, Jimmy gets away but Craig is caught and forced to wear makeup and a wedding dress.
- See Dad Run the youngest child Janie gets a princess party and she and her friends surround her brother Joe and put makeup on him, he runs away and falls face first in the birthday cake
- The Who did a song called "I'm a Boy", about an only son born into a family of sisters whose mother really wanted another daughter. The lyrics chart his anguish at being forced to be feminine
My name is Bill and I'm a head-case;
They practice making up on my face;
I feel lucky if I get trousers to wear,
Spend ages taking daisies out my hair...
- Classical Mythology: As penance for an accidental murder, Heracles was made to serve Omphale for a year, doing women's work and even wearing women's clothes. Artwork of the two usually features her wearing the hero's iconic lionskin and club.
- depending on the version though, this can be played straight or subverted by having Heracles treat it as a fun learning experience. Either way, he comes away from the experienced more empathetic towards women because of walking a mile in another person's shoes. Interestingly, no version of the myth invokes the idea of Heracles failing hilariously at these tasks, even though there's no logical reason he should know how to do any of them. This is part of why Hera reluctantly forgives Zeus for fathering him in the end, according to some myth-writers.
- An early episode of The Simpsons had Lisa and her friends try to do this to Bart as a fun slumber party activity. Bart manages to escape, so they do it to Maggie instead.
- Recess: The episode "My Funny Valentines" almost has TJ suffer a makeover when the girls tried to punish him after receiving Valentines Cards from him (which he only sent as a prank).
- All Dogs Go to Heaven (TV Series): The episode "Miss Guidance" has Charlie forced into a makeover done by Sasha (as a flirtatious female dog) in order to keep a junkyard dog distracted.
- On Hey Arnold!, a feminine makeover is inflicted on Harold at the end of the episode "Helga's Makeover".
- In the Gravity Falls episode "Carpet Diem", Dipper in Mabel's body exploits this by getting Mabel's friends to hold down Mabel in Dipper's body and give her a makeover, so that he can get the key to the house's attic.
- The Mega Man episode "Electric Nightmare" had a cosmetics robot give Roll a bad facial, enraging her.